Montblanc - Marc Newson

A1979

Does anyone know if this pen posts? Marc Newson is an amazing designer, I have a number of his product designs and look forward to this one.

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maxim

• A1979

• rsx

• Jd16

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Does anyone know if this pen posts? Marc Newson is an amazing designer, I have a number of his product designs and look forward to this one.

Without having actually seen the pen or asked, I would assume you could post it. In fact, my guess is that the tapered 'notch' at the end of the barrel might make it easier to post.

(I'm wondering if there's a matching portion inside the cap that allows the two to be mated securely?)

I think it is a really unique design, but I want to use bottle ink. The cartridge was a trade-off for the cool design. I wonder if this will fit?

http://templarink.com/images/MiniConverter.jpg

http://templarink.com/images/ConverterComparison.jpg

Best regards,
Steve Surfaro
Fountain Pen Fun
Cities of the world (please visit my Facebook page for more albums)
Paris | Venezia

Could you post a link. I have been searching high and low on the site for the pen. :wallbash: The only MB on there is fragrance.... I don't want fragrance..... Unless I'm doing something wrong. I even went to MB Facebook and followed the link from there. Still nothing about the pen.

-John-

Visconti: Millionaire LE, HS Lava Steel, Opera Club Honey Almond, Michelangelo Black/Rose

Aurora Optima 365 LE, Mar Adriatico LE

Omas Galileo '93, '15 Year of Light, F.A.O., Paragon Burlwood LE

Delta MOMO Design Rose LE

Mont Blanc Johannes Brahms, Georges Solti, 146 LeGrand Platinum, Model #32 (cracked), WE Leo Tolstoy, 146 Burgundy, Model 22, 149 Platinum, Marc Newson, WE Charles Dickens, Rouge et Noir Coral

Hooligan LE #6

TWSBI Diamond 580 X2 and Eco

Could you post a link. I have been searching high and low on the site for the pen. :wallbash: The only MB on there is fragrance.... I don't want fragrance..... Unless I'm doing something wrong. I even went to MB Facebook and followed the link from there. Still nothing about the pen.

-John-

https://twitter.com/Harrods/status/632904673658314752

It's not on the site as it hasn't been officially released yet.

I don't mind the design, but frankly I'd expected more. I was excited to see this thread title as I love much of Marc's work, but this is.. an anticlimax. That clip is far too reminiscent of the Safari for my liking; not necessarily bad looking in its own right, but I don't want to be reminded of my $25 pen when using one thirty times as expensive!

Conid R DCB DB FT Ti & Montblanc 146 stub nib | Lamy 2000; Vista | Montblanc 90th Anni Legrand | Pelikan M800 Burnt Orange; M805 Stresemann | Pilot Prera; VP Guilloche | Visconti Fiorenza Lava LE; Homo Sapiens Bronze

https://twitter.com/Harrods/status/632904673658314752

It's not on the site as it hasn't been officially released yet.

Thank you! That makes sense, but confirms I'm not going crazy.....

-John-

Visconti: Millionaire LE, HS Lava Steel, Opera Club Honey Almond, Michelangelo Black/Rose

Mont Blanc Johannes Brahms, Georges Solti, 146 LeGrand Platinum, Model #32 (cracked), WE Leo Tolstoy, 146 Burgundy, Model 22, 149 Platinum, Marc Newson, WE Charles Dickens, Rouge et Noir Coral

Hooligan LE #6

I don't mind the design, but frankly I'd expected more. I was excited to see this thread title as I love much of Marc's work, but this is.. an anticlimax. That clip is far too reminiscent of the Safari for my liking; not necessarily bad looking in its own right, but I don't want to be reminded of my $25 pen when using one thirty times as expensive!

I agree, I wish they had chosen a different clip! In any case, if I can somehow fit a tiny converter in there, it may be worth it.

Best regards,
Steve Surfaro
Fountain Pen Fun
Paris | Venezia

More pictures and a price :)

fpn_1440286424__3049822-slide-s-3-applesfpn_1440286476__3049822-slide-s-2-apples

The Montblanc M will be available starting September 1st, for an Apple Watch-level price: $565. That might seem like a lot, but it's a bargain for a high-quality pen that will last a lifetime... provided you don't accidentally lose it first. There's a cheaper rollerball or ballpoint version for $400.

http://www.fastcodesign.com/3049822/apples-marc-newson-designs-a-space-age-fountain-pen#3

Best regards,
Steve Surfaro
Fountain Pen Fun
Paris | Venezia

I was interested until I saw the closeup of the section. It looks as if it would be a bit uncomfortable. With that much of a step down and the ridges. I would definitely have to try in store before I pulled the trigger on this one.

-John-

Hooligan LE #6

I really love the look of this pen but the cartridge thing is killing it for me.

I feel that not having thought out the filling mechanism or a converter or something is a huge design oversight on a premium pen that also has the name of one of the most renowned designers on it. I was expecting more than a beautiful a skin around a cartridge.

edit: does anyone have any recommendations for a pen with similar minded minimal design but with a sensible and high-ish capacity filling system for bottled inks?

Edited by lacie

I really love the look of this pen but the cartridge thing is killing it for me.

I feel that not having thought out the filling mechanism or a converter or something is a huge design oversight on a premium pen that also has the name of one of the most renowned designers on it. I was expecting more than a beautiful a skin around a cartridge.

edit: does anyone have any recommendations for a pen with similar minded minimal design but with a sensible and high-ish capacity filling system for bottled inks?

An eye-dropper pen has a huge ink capacity. Maybe an shiro (all black) Japanese urushi eye-dropper? Otherwise a wartime 14x, which lacked the cap rings, might be the way to go.

I actually had the ballpoint version in my hands today and was told that the pen they had was sold yesterday. So if you happen to be in Salzburg you can have a look at it there.

The ballpoint pen could not be posted (at least I didn't manage to post it) and so I assume that the same goes for the fountain pen. Opening and closing the pen feels rather strange due to the magnets.

I liked the overall look, but I don't think that they can sell a lot of ballpoint pens that cannot be posted. I don't mind not posting fountain pens, but in my eyes a ballpoint pen is for a different purpose: quickly taking notes instead of writing longer.

However, I hope that I was just too clumsy to post it correctly because then the way the back section is designed would have no purpose at all. You probably won't be able to keep a spare cartridge in the pen...

Andreas

I really like this design, with the sole exception of the section. I hate metal sections, and prefer no texture on a pen or pencil section. I would probably have designed it with a flat, wide clip rather than the Lamy-style clip, but that's just me.

There's relatively little available in modern design in fine pens, which would really make this model stand out in a crowd. I'm reminded a bit of Braun product designs by Dieter Rams (just websearch on his name), and Rosenthal's modern china designs (the TAC-02 or Suomi patterns) which I just saw last week in a store I visited while travelling in Germany.

-- Joel -- "I collect expensive and time-consuming hobbies."

INK (noun): A villainous compound of tannogallate of iron, gum-arabic and water,

chiefly used to facilitate the infection of idiocy and promote intellectual crime.

(from The Devil's Dictionary, by Ambrose Bierce)

I'm not a fan of this pen because of the metal grip. Even worse it's a ribbed metal grip. :unsure: It also has a Lamy Safari lookalike clip. :yikes:

Still you never know, it might look better in the hand than it does in the pictures.