Montblanc - Marc Newson

A1979

Look at Pilot Custom 845.................thick pens balanced by a bigger nib.

+1

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maxim

• A1979

• rsx

• Jd16

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I read over this thread, but didn't find my answer.

What type of rollerball refill does the artfineliner M accept?

Edited by Acb5456

The M artfineliner (or M rollerball - they are the same) takes only a special capless rollerball refill - it will not accept the standard Mont Blanc rollerball refill. This refill only fits the M rollerball and the Heritage retractible rollerball.

An interesting fact is that this capless rollerball refill is identical to the Schmidt refill used in the Retro 51 Tornedo pens, except that the plastic end-plug is slightly narrower. You can pull out and swap the end plug of the MB refill with a Schmidt refill, allowing the use of a fine point Schmidt refill (for some reason MB is only selling the medium point rollerball refill). I have done this and have a fine point Schmidt refill in my M rollerball pen, and it is an incredibly smooth writer.

I hope this isn't more information than you wanted to know 😊

Dr. Scrawl

The M artfineliner (or M rollerball - they are the same) takes only a special capless rollerball refill - it will not accept the standard Mont Blanc rollerball refill. This refill only fits the M rollerball and the Heritage retractible rollerball.

An interesting fact is that this capless rollerball refill is identical to the Schmidt refill used in the Retro 51 Tornedo pens, except that the plastic end-plug is slightly narrower. You can pull out and swap the end plug of the MB refill with a Schmidt refill, allowing the use of a fine point Schmidt refill (for some reason MB is only selling the medium point rollerball refill). I have done this and have a fine point Schmidt refill in my M rollerball pen, and it is an incredibly smooth writer.

I hope this isn't more information than you wanted to know

This is EXACTLY the info I was looking for; thank you so much!!

To clarify, is the Schmidt refill the 888 Rollerball refill pack or is it the 5888 fine rollerball pack (called Safety Ceramic Roller)?

It is the Schmidt P8126 - fine point, short capless refill. Or you can go to any pen shop and buy a Retro 51 capless refill - same thing. You will still need to get a Mont Blanc refill so you can pull and swap the plastic end pieces. No other refill will fit.

Dr. Scrawl

It is the Schmidt P8126 - fine point, short capless refill. Or you can go to any pen shop and buy a Retro 51 capless refill - same thing. You will still need to get a Mont Blanc refill so you can pull and swap the plastic end pieces. No other refill will fit.

Oh okay, great. Will the end piece of the M artfineliner refill that is currently in my pen work in the tip of the Schmidt refill? Or do I need an actual Montblanc capless refill for that specific end piece?

Montblanc will now be adding bicycles and airplanes to their product line.

Their planes will be made of precious resin

Oh okay, great. Will the end piece of the M artfineliner refill that is currently in my pen work in the tip of the Schmidt refill? Or do I need an actual Montblanc capless refill for that specific end piece?

Yes, the end piece of the artfineliner refill looks just the same. I wrapped it in paper for protection and easily pulled it out with a pliers. Swap it with the P8126 and you're good to go.

Dr. Scrawl

Yes, the end piece of the artfineliner refill looks just the same. I wrapped it in paper for protection and easily pulled it out with a pliers. Swap it with the P8126 and you're good to go.

Perfect. Thanks for the info!

Edited by Acb5456

Their planes will be made of precious resin

Skywriters 😬

So, MB has become just another "luxury brand" (did the world really NEED another luxury brand?) that happens to sell pens. Maybe that's a requirement for 21st century survival in the fountain pen business.

Dr. Scrawl

• 2 weeks later...

I actually really like the M; clean but not too stark. I went in to buy one, but the inability to post the cap made it a no go for me.

For those of you that appreciate fine shotguns, Newson also designed a shotgun for Beretta, that while a bit different looking, I thought was done quite well. That being said, I have friends who think it looks homely.

Edited by TCN01

• 1 year later...

Does anyone know where to send the Marc Newson for nib reconfiguring into a stub nib for calligraphic writing?

I might as well do it as I dropped the pen and bent the nib and it's not writing well at all now after I put the nib back into shape.

Can someone here please let me know where to repair the Marc Newson M nib? I dropped it in the hospital; to my massive detriment.

I like to make the nib into either OM or stub nib as I like to improve my calligraphy-like handwriting.

Anyway, the grip is too slippery.

I will also try and get the Cross converter.

• 2 weeks later...

I have Linda Kennedy grind all my Montblancs using the DailyItalic grind. Her website is indy-pen-dance.com.

Qui tam pro domino rege quam pro se ipso in hac parte sequitur.

Not sure if it is worth starting a new thread for this small piece of info, but this year 2017 there is going to be a matte black Marc Newson due.

It is worth noting. Sales person in the MB boutique tells me that the matte black "M" will be - finally - able to post the cap, with magnetic attachment at both ends. Can't wait to see it!

Dr. Scrawl

Not sure if it is worth starting a new thread for this small piece of info, but this year 2017 there is going to be a matte black Marc Newson due.

Interesting, thank you! So, this new new version will replace the (never released) "stainless steel" one?

Interesting, thank you! So, this new new version will replace the (never released) "stainless steel" one?

The stainless steel version wasn't mentioned to me, seems plausible that it's forgotten.