Cross Pen Identification And Refills?

Lis7

This Cross pen (see photos) is from the '70s or '80s. On the cap: "-1/20 12KT" and below it: "-GOLD FILLED". Also, "Cross" and "Made in USA". the body measures 4 3/4" long and the cap is 2 3/16" long. I'm thinking it is a Classic, but does it have a model number or a more specific name?

It has an old felt tip ink cartridge that says "G7" on the side, along with the A. T. Cross name etc. The existing cartridge measures 4 5/16" long and about 1/4" diameter at the widest part.

I emailed Cross customer service and the rep said that the "Porous Point (Felt Tip) Refill for Selectip Pens" is the only refill that will fit this pen. Before I get the new refill, I thought I'd check here on the forum. It seems like the end of the new felt tip refill is different from the old felt tip cartridge I have, which has a slight taper to the endcap, and so I'm not sure if the new Cross refill will fit.

Also, ideally, I would like a ballpoint or gel refill for this pen. Are there any refills (ballpoint, gel or felt tip) available for this pen that you know will work? If not, what are my options since it has sentimental value and I'd love to be able to use it. Thank you!

post-122775-0-95964000-1431730861.jpg

post-122775-0-89801400-1431730871.jpg

post-122775-0-83202800-1431730880.jpg

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kevinm1

• Lis7

• JoshFrank

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Cross rep is correct....sometime during the 1970's (I thnik) Cross made a change to the gripping section of the pen. It was and is slightly more tapered than the original you have and has a gold band on it. That change for some reason made the gel refills or ballpoint refills not allowing the cap to have as snug a fit against the barrel. You will notice the cap rotates way too freely on the barrel. So far as I know this happens with the Monteverde refills also. No great loss they are not that good.

The soft tip refill is not a bad choice at all for its look and feel of the ink......hope this helps.

I have this same pen except silver instead of gold, the current felt tip refills should fit your pen. You can also use the cross rollerball, or "jumbo" ballpoint refill

Edited by JoshFrank

• 2 weeks later...

The Cross rep is correct....sometime during the 1970's (I thnik) Cross made a change to the gripping section of the pen. It was and is slightly more tapered than the original you have and has a gold band on it. That change for some reason made the gel refills or ballpoint refills not allowing the cap to have as snug a fit against the barrel. You will notice the cap rotates way too freely on the barrel. So far as I know this happens with the Monteverde refills also. No great loss they are not that good.

The soft tip refill is not a bad choice at all for its look and feel of the ink......hope this helps.

I have this same pen except silver instead of gold, the current felt tip refills should fit your pen. You can also use the cross rollerball, or "jumbo" ballpoint refill

Thank you both for replying to this thread. I'm still sort of confused :/

Kevin, "cap" in the context of your post is the silver-colored piece? I took out the old original felt tip refill, so there's no refill in the pen now, and the cap doesn't rotate or move. Could you clarify?

Josh, you've tried the rollerball and jumbo bp refills in your older Cross pen and they fit? There are other postings online that say that the end of the old refill (on the right side in my photo above) was tapered, and the new ones are flat. I was thinking that if that were true, I might be able to sand the end of the refill down with a Dremel, but if obviously would prefer not to have to mess with it. And the Cross rep....she told me only the felt tip...which has the same less-tapered end as the rollerball and jumbo bp. Cross refills.

Edited by Lis7