Writing Speed.

ragpaper1817

My opinion, rather different from what has been expressed above, is that speed is the primary reason for cursive writing and note taking is its paradigmatic example. I have taken notes with a variety of pens and papers. Fountain pens are best, because they allow you to glide on top of the paper. However, ballpoints (generically) write better on the cheap or textured paper that is commonly used by students and other note takers. Consequently, if this were a "writing instruments" or ballpoint pen forum, I suspect that most would say that speed is not only important, but essential.

Once you know how to write cursively, I believe you develop speed by writing fast. It's as simple as that. The impediments are holding your pen wrong (see BoBo Olson's post on the "death grip elimination" thread), pressing too hard, and focusing on mechanics and output rather than content. At the beginning your writing is bound to be sloppy, so you go over it at the earliest occasion and make corrections. Within a few weeks, you will be doing better and notice that you can write quite well without looking down.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• richiwalt

• cellmatrix

• ragpaper1817

• prf5

My opinion, rather different from what has been expressed above, is that speed is the primary reason for cursive writing and note taking is its paradigmatic example. I have taken notes with a variety of pens and papers. Fountain pens are best, because they allow you to glide on top of the paper. However, ballpoints (generically) write better on the cheap or textured paper that is commonly used by students and other note takers. Consequently, if this were a "writing instruments" or ballpoint pen forum, I suspect that most would say that speed is not only important, but essential.

Once you know how to write cursively, I believe you develop speed by writing fast. It's as simple as that. The impediments are holding your pen wrong (see BoBo Olson's post on the "death grip elimination" thread), pressing too hard, and focusing on mechanics and output rather than content. At the beginning your writing is bound to be sloppy, so you go over it at the earliest occasion and make corrections. Within a few weeks, you will be doing better and notice that you can write quite well without looking down.

So .. pfr5 ... I have been focusing on the mechanics of those "perfect letters" ... and I'm glad I did ... I needed that.

But last three days, I have to agree with you. I'm relaxing, and writing fast with a very loose ... but controlled flow of ink to paper. If I mess up, I slow down just a tad ... and, I'm finding "control" to be a strange creature - that does not require slowing down, nor a hard grip. I'm getting that distinct, thin, free-flowing line that is easily marked by the eye.

It's not automatic during the first few sentences ... but it builds to where it's there for sure. The more I practice, the easier it's getting.

Strangely enough .... I am fully braced on my wrists ... and I can roll my hand, and keep a constant slant for about a 1/3 of the page ... then I reposition ... So, I did not modify my grip at all ... I'm too pleased with my results in both speed and uniformity to change my grip. It's relaxed, barely holding an unposted pen, and fun ...

Just wanted to post my progress ... I'll see if I can upload a sample after work. :-)

I'm relaxing, and writing fast with a very loose ... but controlled flow of ink to paper. If I mess up, I slow down just a tad ... and, I'm finding "control" to be a strange creature - that does not require slowing down, nor a hard grip. I'm getting that distinct, thin, free-flowing line that is easily marked by the eye....Strangely enough .... I am fully braced on my wrists ... and I can roll my hand, and keep a constant slant for about a 1/3 of the page ... then I reposition ... So, I did not modify my grip at all ... I'm too pleased with my results in both speed and uniformity to change my grip. It's relaxed, barely holding an unposted pen, and fun ...

I am happy to read about your progress. As I think about it, "control" is somewhat paradoxical, insofar as it is achieved by relaxing and by focusing on the end or purpose rather than the means of achieving it. Interesting comment. Thanks.