Are You A User, Collector Or Both?

penxade

I am a user only. I still have trouble conceiving of this as a "hobby". And am amazed at the wide variety of ink brands and colors. The fps I have had since the 60s and early 90s are better pens, but I have recently ordered some Pilot 78Gs and Chinese pens out of curiosity and am impressed with the quality for the price, especially the Pilots. Never will be a collector of fps or inks, though I have enjoyed buying ink samples to help me select a very few inks beyond my basic blue, blue-black, black and red.

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club."

- Jack London

http://i729.photobucket.com/albums/ww296/messiah_FPN/Badges/SnailBadge.png

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Frank C

• RNHC

• JotterAddict62

• vans4444

I try to use my pens. Some get more use than others.

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

User.

I have a lot of books, but I'm not a collector; I'm a reader.

So... you know... kindv like that.

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

I know I am a user. In the past two years I bought over 20 pens and 12 ink colors. In the past month, I narrowed the inks to 6 colors I really like. I have 6 everyday pens and 6 "fancy" pens on rotation. So now I have 2 pens per color, one for everyday office use and one for special ocations. I am in the process of giving away the rest of my pens to my wife and kids (they all write with fps). I know I will keep buying pens, but the rotation will remain at 12 pens in this configuration. Giving away the one that gets replaced by a new one. Hopefully in time, my kids will end up with a nice "collection" of their own.

I am probably a light user. I keep favorite pens inked for the crossword, grocery/hardware store/etc lists/notes to friends through the mail/to do/attention notes to self and others around the house/and drawing. This includes a Safari with a 1.9 nib, a giant Jinhao with a 1.5 nib, Pilot 78, an unknown German school pen with a fine nib and Noodlers Apache Sunset for a change, a Lamy 2000, and a Pelikan 120 workhorse with an OB nib and semi flex. They are all fun for different occasions or change-of-pace.

I have about 80 pens uninked but organized in trays. These are mostly Pelikans, Pelikanos, a selection of German brand names just for the variety of producers but all black, five Indian pens with stories, four Chinese pens that have value to me from a design POV rather than "good for the price", and a Stevens, two Watermans, three Parkers, and 2 Kaweco Sport.

I also have a growing nest of Pelikan ephemera that may border into kitsch. That 120 sits in the beak of a big white Pelikan.

In a separate category, I have a selection of 15 German Fends and Fend Norma mechanical pencils, collected for their designs.

Yes, I guess I am more a collector than a user. I collect stuff that appeals to me for my own interests and budget. I am more interested in writing instruments of the people rather than as a pieces of jewelry or as backgrounds for applied art.

I am also long-winded.

Best,

Dick

I hardly think in such terms. As I understand, "collection" pens are those

in static display ? "User" pens are filled with ink and lines drawn onto paper ?

All my pens are found to be interesting, and fun to use.

My situation seems to follow ISW_Kaputnik, Dronak. & SteveE . I find such

classification to be awkward. Choosing one over another separates me from

other fountain pen enthusiasts. I am here to enjoy them as well. Sorry that I

am such, but that's the reason I am Sasha Royale Payne Ian Diaz.

Write with joy.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

All the pens I have must be used, don't buy anything i can't or won't use

"It is much more interesting to live life not knowing, than having answers which might be wrong."

"Courage is grace under pressure" ~ Ernest Hemingway

User. Collecting isn't fun.

Fountain pens forever and forever a hundred years fountain pens, all day long forever, forever a hundred times, over and over Fountain Pen Network Adventures dot com!

- Joe

That s why I avoid mint condition vintage. I would be afraid of marking them.

I am definitely a collector, though I only have one pen and it use as my primary writing instrument. I plan to keep my pen and continue using it forever, enjoying my collection of one and its utility.

Do you collect fountain pens?

Do you mainly keep functionality in front of collecting in priorities.

Or are you a balance between the 2 please?

Both, really.

Specific pens with specific uses and different nibs go into rotation, but I also have a small collection of fude, and a little jar of Weird and Bizarre Pens I Don't Use Every Day But Can't Resist. Like the Diplomat Butterfly that reminds me of a Nash Metropolitan.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

Exactly so for me.... An unused pen in a box is just an ornament......

http://www.aysedasi.co.uk

She turned me into a newt.......

User with a few too many pens, about 15, and plans to buy one or two more.

That's not counting fountain pens used only for calligraphy - that's six more.

Don't ask about all the different paper piling up on desk and on bookshelf.

The prizes of life are never to be had without trouble - Horace
Kind words do not cost much, yet they accomplish much - Pascal

You are never too old to set a new goal or dream a new dream - C.S. Lewis

Favorite shop:https://www.fountainpenhospital.com

How about this for an answer,

We are just the keepers of the pens that we have collected, accumulated or just passing by our hands.

Some of us are people who rescue, clean, restore and then send back out in the wild.

I Ken am a pen addict. I know that I have a problem with the collecting of these little pens.

But pen collecting is way better than booze was to me in the early 80's

I am a user of the pens that I buy even thought technology (iPad) has replaced most of my handwritten note taking.

How about this for an answer,

We are just the keepers of the pens that we have collected, accumulated or just passing by our hands.

Some of us are people who rescue, clean, restore and then send back out in the wild.

I Ken am a pen addict. I know that I have a problem with the collecting of these little pens.

But pen collecting is way better than booze was to me in the early 80's

Thanks for the reply, I have always wondered what the technical term would be for collecting pens, cleaning and making sure they're okay and selling or giving them.

First and foremost I'm a user. Anyway, since I love gold (flex) nibs, I buy nibs I find interesting even though I don't need them. Some of my pes are as good as unusable, but have interesting nibs. Am I faithful to the brands? Not at all! I move nibs between pens without any regret. My frankenpens are my favourites because they are designed according to my taste in nibs, feeds and bodies.

http://i1359.photobucket.com/albums/q794/china_line/FPN_signatur2_zps0fbd4f6c.jpg