What Do You Write?

Bklyn

... also for Scotch tasting notes.

Does your handwriting deteriorate towards the end of the tasting session?

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bklyn

• Sailor Kenshin

• JLZenor

• Mannyonpil

Poetry, ink and pen drawings, journaling... especially travels, notes at work, thoughts, regrets, desires, and all the associated whatevers.

Just love writing with my pens. Any excuse is just fine with me.

"The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it."  - Selwyn Duke    

Does your handwriting deteriorate towards the end of the tasting session?

lol - actually if you saw my everyday handwriting you might conclude I am constantly at the end of a tasting session!

Jim Couch

Portland, OR

Sounds like fun. Mine were written on a leather chair facing the gardens in the plush reading room of the local library, balanced on a clipboard.

That chair in the library on a clipboard sounds like a wonderful way to write. I am more of a desk guy but your style sounds great.

Anyone like Ray Bradbury? Please read "The Laurel and Hardy Love Affair" if you have about 12 minutes.

You will not forget this wonderful gem that is largely obscure and sadly, forgotten. http://bit.ly/1DZtL4g

That chair in the library on a clipboard sounds like a wonderful way to write. I am more of a desk guy but your style sounds great.

I am, too, but at that time, I had to be at the library for about an hour due to being dropped off and picked up, so I used it to write. The memory still brings a smile.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

Good Lord, you spend a lot of time writing.

You must go through ink by the bucket.

Best,

Bklyn

Haha :) I don't want to waste my FPs

Pens:

Sheaffer Targa M / Parker 45 M / Sheaffer Imperial M / Parker Arrow

Lamy Vista F / Lamy Safari EF / PELIKAN M400 M Vintage (for sale)

Pilot Custom 74 F / Namiki Falcon SF / Pilot VP M / Pilot Prera / Pilot Metropolitan F M

Sailor Sapporo B / Platinum 3776 BB Stub

Pilot Custom 91 SFM / Pilot Custom 74 Dark Blue B

INSTAGRAM: @carlosoutfocus

• 2 weeks later...

My journal, stuff that has happened that I think it is important in my life. Feelings I have, if the relationship I have with someone has changed, if someone or something has impacted me, etc.

Also, thank you notes for my clients hehe.

You are welcome to visit my blog: http://gatzbcn.blogspot.com/ and that is my shop: https://www.gatzbcn.com/shop

I like writing out bible verses as a good way to memorize.

I have been actively trying to work on my handwriting lately, but you can only write the alphabet or "the quick brown fox" so many times. And then I remembered you saying this. Perfect way to work on my handwriting and put that time to good use as well. Thanks! :)

- Jon Zenor

Christian, Author, Starship Captain, and all around fun guy.

Follow me on Twitter: @JLZenor

I often find it surprising when people say they use fountain pens to write at work. The only thing that I write for work is pieces of code, but those hardly qualify as writing, more scribbling.

Otherwise, I write in my journal, I write letters occasionally, cards, notes, etc.

I took an italic calligraphy class. We wrote the equivalent of tongue twisters, more like pen twisters, semi-non-sensical sentences with specific letter clusters. But, we focused on making larger pieces of art that had some lettering in them, such as wedding invitations, flyers, etc.

On a daily basis, it's difficult to find time to focus on writing. Sadly.

I have been actively trying to work on my handwriting lately, but you can only write the alphabet or "the quick brown fox" so many times. And then I remembered you saying this. Perfect way to work on my handwriting and put that time to good use as well. Thanks! :)

I wrote a program to find the most common words in my ebook library. That helps for cursive, where letter forms change based on the letters before and after.

I have responded to this before but I thought I would jump in again. I take notes by hand. I take notes on things I am reading, lectures and presentations, and in meetings. I write in my journal just about every day. I often don't write anything terribly deep in it. Just whatever thoughts are rolling around in my head at the time. I write lists of things to do, I write outlines of papers or essays I am writing. I edit my own writing and the writings of others by hand but I do compose formal writing almost completely on a keyboard these days. If there is something especially complex, I might write it out by hand first but that happens only rarely. Writing by hand forces me to concentrate in ways that typing does not. I write comments on student papers and I write lecture/presentation notes by hand, even if I am using Power Point (I am a professor). I have also started correspondences with three people here on FPN so I am now writing letters again after a very long hiatus. I do simple mathematical calculations on scrap paper. I write out driving directions and draw maps for myself before driving somewhere I have never been. I did that today, in fact.

This may seem like a lot of writing but it is less than I used to do in, say, the 1980s or even 1990s when I routinely wrote letters to distant friends, wrote phone messages, left notes for people ("I came by to visit but you weren't home" or "So-and-so called and wants you to call him back to talk about bla bla bla" or "I went to the store. I'll be back in an hour."). I used to be able to recognize the handwriting of everyone I regularly came into contact with. I knew the handwriting of all my friends, family members, and associates. That is not true now because almost no one communicates in hand writing any more.

I take long lunches and write letters. Usually just a couple of pages. It's a great relaxer. I look forward to the experience - thinking about the recipient and which ink and paper this time. Ha, my family members probably don't know what to do with all the letters. I've started exchanging snail mail with a few FPNers. Reminds me, I should probably look for a couple more, it's fun.

I have recently begun writing my family old fashioned snail mail. Just last week I sent my sister a congratulations card for earning her Masters, and a separate letter to my father. I try to write in a journal daily even though I seem to lack depth in those entries.

I have been thinking that I will start writing to family and friends again as well. I don't know how many of them will write back though. We shall have to see. Writing to FPN penpals has really reawakened my interest in writing letters. It is such a different experience from writing email, etc.

I have responded to this before but I thought I would jump in again. I take notes by hand. I take notes on things I am reading, lectures and presentations, and in meetings. I write in my journal just about every day. I often don't write anything terribly deep in it. Just whatever thoughts are rolling around in my head at the time. I write lists of things to do, I write outlines of papers or essays I am writing. I edit my own writing and the writings of others by hand but I do compose formal writing almost completely on a keyboard these days. If there is something especially complex, I might write it out by hand first but that happens only rarely. Writing by hand forces me to concentrate in ways that typing does not. I write comments on student papers and I write lecture/presentation notes by hand, even if I am using Power Point (I am a professor). I have also started correspondences with three people here on FPN so I am now writing letters again after a very long hiatus. I do simple mathematical calculations on scrap paper. I write out driving directions and draw maps for myself before driving somewhere I have never been. I did that today, in fact.

This may seem like a lot of writing but it is less than I used to do in, say, the 1980s or even 1990s when I routinely wrote letters to distant friends, wrote phone messages, left notes for people ("I came by to visit but you weren't home" or "So-and-so called and wants you to call him back to talk about bla bla bla" or "I went to the store. I'll be back in an hour."). I used to be able to recognize the handwriting of everyone I regularly came into contact with. I knew the handwriting of all my friends, family members, and associates. That is not true now because almost no one communicates in hand writing any more.

You'd be surprised. There's a growing pen pal community, and some school districts are putting cursive back on board.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

I recently read that a few modern authors write the entire book with pen and ink. Robert B Parker once said that he tries to write one or two pages a day, so the task does not sounds doable.

As for myself, I have two hobbies that allow me to write in a notebook: woodworking and genealogy. When I am thinking about a wood project, like a lap desk [which I just finished] or a pen box [which I have just started], I will brainstorm with pen and ink. Which wood will I pull off the rack for this project, and why? I'll make comments and ask questions about color, workability, dimensions, joinery, etc. For the pen box I decided on some mahogany that I bought last year. But I will take up my notebook and fountain pen and ask myself whether I should make mitered joints or dovetailed joints, and why would I choose one over the other. Dimensioning is another important question. What should I choose for the ratio of the length and width [the depth is fixed by the size of the pens]? I'll even sketch with the fountain pen to see how the box will look for different dimensions.

Answers in genealogy searches generally lead to new questions. I'll get my pad and pen [and a glass of wine] and ask myself what avenues I ought to explore next, based on what I have just discovered and what I still do not know. I have discovered that if I don't do this, I end up chasing rabbits from census page to census page because something looked interesting, not because it will answer a particular question to which I am really looking for an answer. I find it really helps me to think by writing questions, commenting on known links, looking for clues in the data I already have.

I find it enjoyable to use different pens with different inks, and it helps improve my handwriting if I go at the process slowly. All positives.

Baptiste knew how to make a short job long

For love of it. And yet not waste time either.

Robert Frost

You'd be surprised. There's a growing pen pal community, and some school districts are putting cursive back on board.

Some of my students write in cursive but I would say they are 10% or less.

I am a construction supervisor, so I have a lot of writing at work. And I am in the field most of the day writing in a lot of harsh conditions.

But mainly, I like to write in my Journal every day. Usually two pages , in my A-4 book. It is the history of my family as we are living it. For future generations to read, if people can still read cursive years from now. haha

My daughter is a Teacher, and I bought her a fountain pen to plant the bug,

and it worked ! She will teach any of my grandchildren in the future how to

write in cursive . That's a good thing.

And I like to take a lot of photographs. I have a separate A-4 for that. I place a photo every one to two pages , and in detail describe what I, or we, were doing at the time of the photograph.

I have only been doing this a little over a year. But my penmanship has improved dramatically!!

This is how I enjoy my writing.

P.S.

I have not purchased, or used a ballpoint in over a year now. I like it.

Edited by Robert B

No journal on my side, but an incredibly high amount of stuff that has to be written on paper, from jotting down a telephone number to minutes of meetings.

I end using about 20-25 A4 (standard 80 pages) notebooks every year, plus a lot of scrap paper.

Don't take life too seriously

Nobody makes it out alive anyway