Inky T O D - Spring Cleaning

amberleadavis

It's time to do some de-cluttering. What inks will you be cleaning out of your cabinets ... or maybe tucking away because you won't use it again for a while?

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• HalloweenHJB

• Davros

• WaskiSquirrel

I won't be changing much.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

I went through and made samples of some that I hadn't used or had two bottles of -- like Kon Peki -- the perfect Easter Egg color.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Most of my inks live very sheltered lives. But I can see some samples going out "soon" to generous people.

Most of my inks live very sheltered lives. But I can see some samples going out "soon" to generous people.

Thank you for sharing some of those with me. :) I sent the pen - inked - to another FPNer to test. I think he's going to love it.

Right now most of my pens are inked with darker blues and blue-greens. As I use them up I will refill turquoise inks and other brighter colors like DeA's Appleblossom.

Fountain Pens: Still cheaper than playing Warhammer 40K

Southern California didn't have winter this year -- in fact, this March has oftentimes felt more like September. I never switched out of the lighter blue inks I tend to use.

I'm tempted to downsize the stash of inks I have, but it would only be a few bottles at most.

I tend to use bright colors all year so there isn't any putting away the autumn/winter inks and pulling out the spring/summer ones for me. I did sell a few bottles with colors that were nice but didn't wow me - which made room for more "wows." I have to compensate for the loss, right?

Edited: typos

Edited by ScienceChick

Life's too short to use crappy pens.  -carlos.q

I simply continue to to slowly try out the dozens of ink bottles I haven't even dipped yet and revisit a few favorites along the way. I have a problem, but at least it's a colorful problem.

http://i1016.photobucket.com/albums/af283/Runnin_Ute/fpn_1424623518__super_pinks-bottle%20resized_zps9ihtoixe.png

A few R&K samples I ordered for sheen exploration and curiosity. Really don't like any of the colours in real life and there's nothing special about how they perform in my pens. Making myself keep them until I do mini swabby reviews to remind me of what I didn't like about them.

Noodler's Konrad Acrylics (normal+Da Luz custom flex) ~ Lamy AL-Stars/Vista F/M/1.1 ~ Handmade Barry Roberts Dayacom M ~ Waterman 32 1/2, F semi-flex nib ~ Conklin crescent, EF super-flex ~ Aikin Lambert dip pen EEF super-flex ~ Aikin Lambert dip pen semi-flex M ~ Jinhao X450s ~ Pilot Custom Heritage 912 Posting Nib ~ Sailor 1911 Profit 21k Rhodium F. Favourite inks: Iroshizuku blends, Noodler's CMYK blends.

I'm planning ahead to my big giveaway next year, and I'm also tossing my samples. I tried the samples, and I know whether I like them or now. I'll either buy the bottle or not. I'm also weeding my pen collection.

As for the ink bottles, this is what I'm thinking:

• Noodler's Red-Black: too much like Noodler's Black Swan in English Rose, and the latter is superior.
  • Noodler's Nightshade: it's brown, and not even all that special
  • Private Reserve Ebony Green: it's a dark green, but not that special.
  • Levenger Forest Green: love the bottle, but the ink isn't that special
  • Noodler's Burgundy: It's a nice color, but I have other colors with more depth
  • Noodler's Black Swan in Australian Rose: It was okay, but I prefer the original version which is now back on the market.
  • De Atramentis Fir: I realize now I bought it for the smell, not the color. The color isn't that special.

I may seem heavily weighted on the Noodler's side, but if you saw my ink collection, you would recognize that it's mostly Noodler's, so the percentages make sense.

As for pens, I'm currently at:

• Jinhao 950 Porcelain (dragon) - I love the looks of the pen a lot, but don't love writing with it.
  • Jinhao Dragon something or other - The looks are okay, a little ornate and showy but I don't like writing with it.
  • Lanxivi Fuliwen - Not inspired by the looks or the writing
  • TWSBI 580 - It's an okay pen, but I hate writing with it, though I'll concede that I probably got a bad nib. I will probably put in the nib from my cracked and useless TWSBI 540.
  • Jinhao 250 - I have two of them. They were meant to be gifts anyway.
  • Noodler's Konrad Acrylic - I love this pen a lot, but I have too many different finishes. I don't need this many of the same pen. It's time to give a few away and keep only my absolute favorites.
  • Noodler's Konrad Resin - I love this pen as well, but I may give all of these away and keep a few extra acrylic or ebonite models to use with the Goulet nibs.

Part of having a collection is weeding the collection and saving only the best.

Proud resident of the least visited state in the nation!

I don't know about cleaning; my collection is pretty meager as it is. But following the spring theme, I'd like to *add* a rich blue-leaning purple to match the color that I cleaned out of a Wahl GF ringtop, and also to add a turquoise I've found in several other restoration projects over the last year.

I'm afraid that instead of paring back, I just bought a bunch more ink samples (even though there are a bunch I haven't tried yet). Pretty soon I'm going to have to buy another vial tray -- which may mean buying another box (for which I'm not sure there's room on the shelving units I bought to store them on) because I don't think 5 vial trays will fit in the box.

Doomed, I tell ya, I'm just doomed.... :blush:

As for swapping out colors seasonally, I am finding that I'm getting more attracted to brighter colors again. I had a bunch of pens with me when I was out of town, a couple of weeks ago: several with darker and more permanent inks (for bookkeeping purposes) and several with brighter colors for writing my journal entries: Noodler's Liberty's Elysium and Shah's Rose, and Diamine Emerald.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I'm planning ahead to my big giveaway next year, and I'm also tossing my samples. I tried the samples, and I know whether I like them or now. I'll either buy the bottle or not. I'm also weeding my pen collection.

As for the ink bottles, this is what I'm thinking:

• Noodler's Red-Black: too much like Noodler's Black Swan in English Rose, and the latter is superior.
  • Noodler's Nightshade: it's brown, and not even all that special
  • Private Reserve Ebony Green: it's a dark green, but not that special.
  • Levenger Forest Green: love the bottle, but the ink isn't that special
  • Noodler's Burgundy: It's a nice color, but I have other colors with more depth
  • Noodler's Black Swan in Australian Rose: It was okay, but I prefer the original version which is now back on the market.
  • De Atramentis Fir: I realize now I bought it for the smell, not the color. The color isn't that special.
I may seem heavily weighted on the Noodler's side, but if you saw my ink collection, you would recognize that it's mostly Noodler's, so the percentages make sense.

As for pens, I'm currently at:

• Jinhao 950 Porcelain (dragon) - I love the looks of the pen a lot, but don't love writing with it.
  • Jinhao Dragon something or other - The looks are okay, a little ornate and showy but I don't like writing with it.
  • Lanxivi Fuliwen - Not inspired by the looks or the writing
  • TWSBI 580 - It's an okay pen, but I hate writing with it, though I'll concede that I probably got a bad nib. I will probably put in the nib from my cracked and useless TWSBI 540.
  • Jinhao 250 - I have two of them. They were meant to be gifts anyway.
  • Noodler's Konrad Acrylic - I love this pen a lot, but I have too many different finishes. I don't need this many of the same pen. It's time to give a few away and keep only my absolute favorites.
  • Noodler's Konrad Resin - I love this pen as well, but I may give all of these away and keep a few extra acrylic or ebonite models to use with the Goulet nibs.
Part of having a collection is weeding the collection and saving only the best.

PM me about the TWSBI... well, PM me after Thursday, I'm prepping for trial, but after that, I can help.

She Who Must Be Obeyed [PBUHN] hath decreed more shelves, not less inks.

Leon

You have our permission to keep SHMBO because she is wise, benevolent, and MUST be obeyed.

J. Herbin Vert Empire

Diamine Sunset

Diamine Sargasso Sea

Mont Blanc Leonardo

Iroshizuku Fuyu Gaki

For starters.

I want to get rid of Diamine Meadow and Eclát de Saphir....but it won't happen.

I enjoy MB 146 pens, Sailor, Pilot and Platinum pens as well. I have a strong attraction to dark red and muted green ink, colors I dislike for everything but FP ink. I also enjoy practicing my handwriting and attempting to improve it. I love the feel of quality paper under a gold nib.