What Model Do I Have Here?

Recoil Rob

Given to me by my mother, she purchased it about 20 years ago at Tiffany & Co. in NYC.

The cap is 12.3mm (0.48in.) dia. at the gold "Meisterstuck" band, 10.6mm (0.41in.) dia. at the gold ring between the section and barrel, 8.1mm (13.2in.) dia. at the ring below the nib. It's 117mm (4.62in.) long uposted and 134mm (5.28in.) capped.

14K medium nib, the gold furniture is plated as it has corroded a bit on the nib collar.

I disassembled it for cleaning and found the small gold MB cartridge inside. Is there a converter available for this model so I can use bottled inks?

Also, as I understand it these nibs are not removable for cleaning without special tools and a sealant is needed to reset. However, the nib was not centered on the feed but I was able to push it sideways to center it, think it will be OK or should I have it redone professionally?

thanks,

Rob

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v323/hvpcno1/Fountain%20Pens/Moms%20Montblanc/P1170005_zpsqktkebhl.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v323/hvpcno1/Fountain%20Pens/Moms%20Montblanc/P1170008_zpsgjvxq19x.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v323/hvpcno1/Fountain%20Pens/Moms%20Montblanc/P1170007_zpssbxxxb7g.jpg

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income. - Errol Flynn

Pelikan 100's, 200's, 400's, 600's & 805,s (Stresemann), Namiki Nippon Dragon, Montblanc 149, Platinum 3776 Music Nib, Sailor Pro Clear Demo, Montegrappa Fortuna Skull, Parker 75 Laque, 1946 Parker Vacumatic, Stipula Passporto, Kaweco.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Recoil Rob

• FredRydr

• Cordovian

• Matlock

You have an early 144 Meisterstuck (later denoted "Classique"); note the black section. Converters are readily available. When you fill and use the pen, you will discover whether the contact area between the nib and the feed are okay. Look for hard starting, skipping or drying out.

Converter sources: https://www.bertramsinkwell.com/Fountain-Pen-Cartridge-Converters/

http://www.paradisepen.com/refills-cat/fountain-pen-converters

Fred

Edited by FredRydr

Thank you Fred, I'll try to get one this weekend at the LI Pen Show.

Edited by Recoil Rob

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income. - Errol Flynn

Pelikan 100's, 200's, 400's, 600's & 805,s (Stresemann), Namiki Nippon Dragon, Montblanc 149, Platinum 3776 Music Nib, Sailor Pro Clear Demo, Montegrappa Fortuna Skull, Parker 75 Laque, 1946 Parker Vacumatic, Stipula Passporto, Kaweco.

I'll have a table at the LI Pen Show on Saturday, but no parts. Hope to see you there.

If your nib needs adjusting, there will be nibmeisters available at the show.

Fred

Edited by FredRydr

Sure, what shall I look for, what will your table be displaying?

BTW, am I correct in my assumption that the large stylized "M" on the nib is for "Medium", not " Meisterstuck"?

Vintage pens, including the celluloid 149 in the classified.

Look for the tallest guy in the room, Rick Krantz. He is sharing the table.

The "M" is for Montblanc.

Fred

Edited by FredRydr

OK then, see you there.

If the M is for Montblanc are the nibs marked in any way as to size?

Not since 1960. Removable stickers only. Join the contemporaneous thread "Do All Nibs Come With Nib Stickers?"

Fred

Also, as I understand it these nibs are not removable for cleaning without special tools and a sealant is needed to reset.

You can remove the nib assembly from the nib section by unscrewing it. That will allow you to soak the nib without soaking the entire nib section. Be careful with the section tube though, they're really fragile. You can also remove and replace the nib ring once the nib is unscrewed. You can buy them at pentooling.com. Here's a link: http://www.pentooling.com/montblanc.html

You're welcome. I haven't tried one yet, I'm going to wait until mine gets a bit more boogered up or until the cap starts feeling loose.

Anyone know where to fine nib section tubes for 144s? Mine has a hairline crack. Doesn't affect performance and you can't see it with the naked eye but that might change with time.

Well, no luck finding a proper converter at the LIPS today, the generic ones are a tad too long so I will be ordering a MB branded one. But a lovely gentleman named Mike (he was there with his grandchildren) had a small converter at his table that he was kind enough to give me to see if the pen would write. Below, the results, thanks Mike!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v323/hvpcno1/Fountain%20Pens/Moms%20Montblanc/P1180001_zpspdkvibje.jpg

That's right Fred, it was Mike Bloom, very nice man (and grandkids), thanks again Mike!

BTW, I looked around for you, or rather, Rick, the tallest guy in the room. Must have been a taller patron, was a good deal over 6' but not Rick.

Rick and I were at table 66, next to Mr. Steinberg with his pile of books he authored, pens and watches. David Isaacson was at our backs. I guess a Montblanc collector would remember our table from my celluloid 149 (currently in the FPN classified) and 136 I offered for sale for the first time, and the set of four NIB sterling graphite Montblancs in boxes, but we had lots of other pens and Montblancs, too.

Mike Bloom has lots of Montblancs! I bought a strange amateur Maki-e 146 from him that he had been dragging around for years.

Fred

Edited by FredRydr

You have an early 144 Meisterstuck (later denoted "Classique"); note the black section. Converters are readily available. When you fill and use the pen, you will discover whether the contact area between the nib and the feed are okay. Look for hard starting, skipping or drying out.

Converter sources: https://www.bertramsinkwell.com/Fountain-Pen-Cartridge-Converters/

http://www.paradisepen.com/refills-cat/fountain-pen-converters

Fred

I have been researching converters and all the ones currently available seem to be of the newer screw-on type, not the older push on type which I need. I may have to modify an international sized one to let it fit properly, they are a bit too long.

Edited by Recoil Rob

Modify?

You'll get precise information if you telephone one of the two sources I listed above and answer their questions about your pen, then buy. If that isn't your choice, mail the pen to Bert Oser at Bertram's Inkwell, let him actually determine the correct converter. Might as well buy a few converters after that.

Fred

I spoke with Paradise, they tell me they don't sell parts.

I traded emails with Mr. Oser this morning, he told me that a Schmidt K-5 would fit but I tried that last weekend at LIPS at Anderson's Pens and it's just a bit too long, you can feel the converter hit the end of the barrel with 2 threads still left to make up. Apparently these plastic sections are delicate so we agreed best not to force it and get the proper MB branded converter.

So I spoke with MB Customer Service this morning and they told me they didn't know which was the proper converter and they would get back to me Monday.

I have to say I am surprised at the lack of information and misinformation there is for such a marquee brand. From my research there seem to have been two style MB converters. the current p/n 10019 which is the thread on and an older 16120 which is a push on. A lot of retailers list the 10019 as being interchangeable with the 16120, I don't see how that works unless (and this would have been a good idea) there is a friction fit inside the threaded collar making it adaptable to both styles. And when I spoke with MB this morning they did not even have the 16120 in their list of old parts.

I think in the end I will have to find some of the older 16120 on eBay but will wait to hear back from MB on Monday.

Thanks to all for the help and I will report back when I figure it out.

Her's the current 10019 threaded...

10019-S.jpg

Here's the older 16120 push fit...

http://cdn3.volusion.com/rvbga.avcnm/v/vspfiles/photos/InkConveter-mb-2.jpg

Edited by Recoil Rob

A lot of retailers list the 10019 as being interchangeable with the 16120, I don't see how that works unless (and this would have been a good idea) there is a friction fit inside the threaded collar making it adaptable to both styles.

I could be wrong about this - it's been many years, but I used to own a pen which was identical to yours.

I had a push in convertor for it, originally. When this broke (cracked), I I replaced it with a screw in convertor (from an AD). The pen, of course, had no threads, so I simply pushed the convertor on. As far as I recall, it fitted securely and didn't leak.

But I must repeat: I only think this is correct. Maybe another FPN member who has both parts could check?

Good luck

Edited by CS388

That's exactly what I thought may be the case but I too would like some verification. At the least I will ask MB about it on Monday.

thanks,

Rob