• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• A1979

• Calabria

• Cryptos

• RMN

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Something like this may be quite interesting in the 50th anniversary pen.

fpn_1462594981__micarta_green_black.jpg

I hadn't even realised they could do that with micarta. I wonder what else is possible?

Micarta can be made in interesting colours so it will be interesting to see what gets used. I don't know anything about how they make the micarta so I couldn't begin to guess at what patterns or colours are possible. Will have to ask Uncle Google. :)

micarta is easy to make. can be just about any color pattern you want. lot of knife guys make they're own micarta for handles/scales. the basics are fabric and epoxy pressed in a mold. after curing shape and use as needed.

I really like the L for 50 years idea. Clever and so in the know/secret society thing.

I wonder if there is a process where you can make the patterns in micarta go the way you want, rather than it being a bit random. I would imagine a longitudinal striped black and green would look pretty good for the anniversary edition. It retains the industrial look of the makrolon, adds something new, and is exceptionally lightweight and durable.

If I remember correctly, Twsbi advised people not to convert the micarta into an eyedropper pen because the material absorbed ink.

If Lamy were to use micarta, they would have to re-design the piston mechanism of the Lamy 2000 such that the ink chamber is separate from the barrel. This is what Sailor does in their Realo lineup.

Heh, I hadn't noticed the similarity of description. By longitudinal stripes I was thinking of in the context of how micarta looks rather than anything so regular as that given in the link. Interesting connection though.

If I remember correctly, Twsbi advised people not to convert the micarta into an eyedropper pen because the material absorbed ink.

If Lamy were to use micarta, they would have to re-design the piston mechanism of the Lamy 2000 such that the ink chamber is separate from the barrel. This is what Sailor does in their Realo lineup.

I believe that the stainless steel model still has Makrolon on the inside, so I assume that this would be the same with a Micarta version.

I think the stainless steel section on the makralon Lamy 2000 was the inspiration for the stainless steel version of the pen. Lamy would need special reasons to choose micarta because such a pen, like the steel version, may lack an ink window and would be difficult to manufacture. It would be interesting to see how Lamy could pull it off.

The original Lamy 2000 had 3 distinct motifs- silver stainless steel, black makrolon and a transparent makrolon ink window.

They've made a stainless steel pen. I think a clear, brushed texture demonstrator is possible since there are transparent varieties of makrolon available. It would also be easier to manufacture.

Heh, I hadn't noticed the similarity of description. By longitudinal stripes I was thinking of in the context of how micarta looks rather than anything so regular as that given in the link. Interesting connection though.

I wonder how well the tight tolerances of the 2000 could be executed in micarta. I like the look of the TWSBI Micarta (haven't had a chance to try one) but it seems comparatively rough-hewn.

A demonstrator Lamy 2000 with a matte texture may be easier to execute than micarta.

A demo version sounds entirely plausible.

I believe that the stainless steel model still has Makrolon on the inside, so I assume that this would be the same with a Micarta version.

If so, it's a pity the steel version didn't include cutouts for the ink windows.

---

More generally, it'll be interesting to see the extent to which Lamy celebrates a timeless design survivor by changing it.

I think the stainless steel section on the makralon Lamy 2000 was the inspiration for the stainless steel version of the pen. Lamy would need special reasons to choose micarta because such a pen, like the steel version, may lack an ink window and would be difficult to manufacture. It would be interesting to see how Lamy could pull it off.

The original Lamy 2000 had 3 distinct motifs- silver stainless steel, black makrolon and a transparent makrolon ink window.

They've made a stainless steel pen. I think a clear, brushed texture demonstrator is possible since there are transparent varieties of makrolon available. It would also be easier to manufacture.

This is why the topic of things like Transparent Aluminum (aluminium oxynitride) and other similar industrial strength transparent materials would fit so perfectly for a 50th anniversary special edition pen. Of course the price would become prohibitively expensive too.

I'm also for things like titanium alloys and magnesium aluminum alloys akin to high end smartphones and Microsoft Surface. Metal with the (almost) lightness of Makrolon.

Edited by kapanak

The design itself is classic - I wouldn't have thought Lamy would want to mess too much with it. I'm not sure I'd want Lamy to mess with it too much.

I note that many reviews of the L2K talk about the ink window - how on the macrolon version, the small horizontal ink window is hard to see. I wonder whether the anniversary edition might be in macrolon, with a somewhat longer ink window on the belly of the pen, vertically along the barrel and on the underside of the nib. Add the "L" to the end and you'd have something quite distinctive and yet not too far from the standard-and-totally-classic version.

Something like this may be quite interesting in the 50th anniversary pen.

fpn_1462594981__micarta_green_black.jpg

I hadn't even realised they could do that with micarta. I wonder what else is possible?

I wonder where that picture is from.

I missed out on the Sailor Micarta - kind of regret that (as well as a lemon custard ribbed model)

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

It better had be damn good! I was going to buy the Lamy 2000 for the bargain price of £84 on WHSmith the other week but decided to wait for the anniversary edition. I'm hoping it will carry some value in years to come

I sure hope it's not going to be one of those wallet-crusher type pens.

I genuinely want to celebrate Lamy's anniversary with them, but if the prices are too exhorbitant, it's just not going to happen.

I have a pen-loop vacant (in my Nock Co. 3-pen holster) for the new arrival. It will take it's place next to the makrolon and stainless steel version. That's only if the thing is going to be reasonable in price.

Currently said pen-loop is taken up by the 5mm L2K makrolon pencil, but once my 7mm L2K makrolon pencil arrives, I'll shift them both to a separate 2-pen case of some kind.

Don't dissapoint me Lamy!

I sure hope it's not going to be one of those wallet-crusher type pens.

I genuinely want to celebrate Lamy's anniversary with them, but if the prices are too exhorbitant, it's just not going to happen.

I have a pen-loop vacant (in my Nock Co. 3-pen holster) for the new arrival. It will take it's place next to the makrolon and stainless steel version. That's only if the thing is going to be reasonable in price.

Currently said pen-loop is taken up by the 5mm L2K makrolon pencil, but once my 7mm L2K makrolon pencil arrives, I'll shift them both to a separate 2-pen case of some kind.

Don't dissapoint me Lamy!

Speaking of Lamy cases, I'm using the 1-pen A31 for my L2K fountain pen and the 2-pen A32 for both my L2K ballpoint and 0.7mm pencil.

Lamy 2000 FP, PP, BP, MFP & RB. Mont Blanc Meisterstück 161 Le Grand Platinum BP & Heritage 1912 FP.