Lamy 2000 Anniversary?

Calabria

Slightly off topic...

Yeah – but the pens were cool. If the 50th Anniversary Lamy were like the Gemenas, I'd be down with it.

Qui tam pro domino rege quam pro se ipso in hac parte sequitur.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• A1979

• Calabria

• Cryptos

• RMN

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There are many things to like about the 2000 but, to me, a significant part of the minimalist feel comes from the fact it only comes in the one understated finish[1]. Celebrating 50 years of an iconic matte black pen by issuing an edition in a different colour would be ... wrong. It would feel anti-2000 mystique, an anti-celebration. I possibly could be convinced a "stealth" edition along the lines of the Sailor Progear Imperial Black isn't anti-2000, but the stealth concept has been beaten to death the past few years.

Of course, that's my opinion. For all I know Lamy's market research has shown the real money is in translucent neon lime green demonstrators, steel nibs, and a price hike.

[1] Yeah, I know about the steel version.

I hope Lamy doesn't read your comment and agree with you. I'd love to see a red 2000.

I get the vote for keeping it minimal. But the Bauhaus design genome doesn't rule out color - in fact, one of the original Bauhaus teachers, Johannes Itten, ascribed mystical powers to color.

More recently, I think Joni Ive at Apple has shown how color can be used successfully in an understated way.

I've been among the critics of neon pens until I walked into a paper store in Europe this summer and HAD to have the neongrün Safari. At 18 Euro, it's a cheap thrill, and I didn't mind paying 8 Euro to get a decent EF nib with it. Now I'm kind of proud to sport it in public, it's like having new sneakers. The neon Safari also makes my 2000 look all the more dark and mysterious on my desk.

I would put a serious amount of money down for a matte demonstrator - can you imagine how cool the frosted macrolon would look?

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

I would put a serious amount of money down for a matte demonstrator - can you imagine how cool the frosted macrolon would look?

There's a guy on Taobao who does Lamy 2000 replicas in several different plastics, so we don't have to imagine how cool the matte demonstrator version would look--check out this thread.

Currently in rotation: Wing Sung 698/Diamine Blue Velvet, Wing Sung 618/Diamine Golden Oasis, Lamy Profil 80/Pelikan Edelstein Aventurine

There's a guy on Taobao who does Lamy 2000 replicas in several different plastics, so we don't have to imagine how cool the matte demonstrator version would look--check out this thread.

Oooh - thank you kind sir!

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

I hope Lamy is reading this thread.

I also hope they decide to follow Pelikan's recent form (new 600s, 800s, 200s...) and issue a new commemorative Lamy 2000 every couple of months. I had better reserve my entire pen budget for the year for those! :-)

Too many pens, too little time!

http://fountainpenlove.blogspot.fr/

Titanium gets my vote.

Red would we nice as well, but that would degrade the value of the Jonathan Ive pen, so I don't think Lamy will go that way.

I would love to see one in yellowish color with the same makroon finish.

I think of my FPs as my children.

I honestly doubt that they'll do anything garish. Bright colors, woods, flashy platings, polished metal. It just doesn't seem to fit with the way Lamy has always taken the 2000. It's always been an understated pen (aside from the red one on Page 1). Perhaps they'll do some colors or something- a dark green, purple, blue, or red perhaps? More likely I think they'd probably do a premium materials version- titanium perhaps.

Heck, they may even go for a Makrolon one with classy gold plated metal bits. I think that would look good- a bare gold nib, gold plated section, clip and finial adornment...

Who knows?

Oh, and while I think that the 2000 is priced well anyway, I would buy a less expensive steel nibbed version, assuming it was still Makrolon and a piston filler.

Here to help when I know, learn when I don't, and pass on the information to anyone I can :)

Is it definite that they will do something for the anniversary? Surely they would, fifty years is one heck of a milestone. If it is definite I'll start saving now!

Conid R DCB DB FT Ti & Montblanc 146 stub nib | Lamy 2000; Vista | Montblanc 90th Anni Legrand | Pelikan M800 Burnt Orange; M805 Stresemann | Pilot Prera; VP Guilloche | Visconti Fiorenza Lava LE; Homo Sapiens Bronze

I honestly doubt that they'll do anything garish. Bright colors, woods, flashy platings, polished metal. It just doesn't seem to fit with the way Lamy has always taken the 2000.

Lamy did produce several wood versions of the BP 2000 though. My guess - not my wish- is that the 50th anniversary is going to be a BP again.

amonjak.com

post-21880-0-68964400-1403173058.jpg

free 70 pages graphic novel. Enjoy!

Lamy did produce several wood versions of the BP 2000 though. My guess - not my wish- is that the 50th anniversary is going to be a BP again.

Just because they did doesn't mean they should have... ;)

In all honesty, the non-fountain 2000 designs didn't even occur to me when I was thinking about the fiftieth. In my opinion, the 2000 is a fountain pen... all of the others are just similar looking ink/graphite distributors trying to catch up to the FP... so I didn't put any thought into the distinct possibility of the commemorative not being a fountain pen.

Here to help when I know, learn when I don't, and pass on the information to anyone I can :)

• 3 weeks later...

Firstly, yes it is only the fountain pen which will be 50. The black fountain pen is the design and ball points etc. are only "after the fashion". I have the 0.7 pencil and find it nothing special.

My suggestion for the Golden Jubilee model is black Makrolon but with all silver parts in gold. An understated tribute to a wonderfully understated design.

Whatever they do, I want them to add the L back to the end finial. Just for the anniversary. Kick it old school.

Looking for a cap for a Sheaffer Touchdown Sentinel Deluxe Fat version

Whatever they do, I want them to add the L back to the end finial. Just for the anniversary. Kick it old school.

+1

That would be cool.