Lamy 2000 Anniversary?

Calabria

This thread is interesting because the people making these observations are probably the biggest fans of Lamy anywhere, and they're basically saying that they would have loved to buy one of these, but they were expecting something else.

Reviews and articles on Fountain Pen Network

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

Hua Hong Blue Belter | Penbbs 456 | Stationery | ASA Nauka in Dartmoor and Ebonite | ASA Azaadi | ASA Bheeshma | ASA Halwa | Ranga Model 8 and 8b | Ranga Emperor

ITALY AND THE UK

FILCAO Roxi | FILCAO Atlantica | Italix Churchman's Prescriptor

USA, INK, AND EXPERIMENTS

Bexley Prometheus | Route 54 Motor Oil | Black Swan in Icelandic Minty Bathwater | Robert Oster Aqua | Diamine Emerald Green | Mr. Pen Radiant Blue | Three Oysters Giwa | Flex Nib Modifications | Rollstoppers

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• A1979

• Calabria

• Cryptos

• RMN

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My comment way back was based on thinking the price was way too high for what was offered, and that would probably be true regardless of what they did with it given it is actually a Lamy 2000. The pen appearance itself I did not mind even though it was not a one I commented I wanted, but a premium which sets a price at 3x a standard L2K in my money? On reflection that is probably my disappointment; mundane but likely.

X

This thread is interesting because the people making these observations are probably the biggest fans of Lamy anywhere, and they're basically saying that they would have loved to buy one of these, but they were expecting something else.

So true.

The pen is nice enough. But the price is not. I for one am a fan of the metal 2k. The additional weight is all that was needed for me to use the 2K as a daily, long session writer. Since I already have a !metal one, I will pass on the Anniversary edition. Maybe I will check for a BP. Or not.

amonjak.com

post-21880-0-68964400-1403173058.jpg

free 70 pages graphic novel. Enjoy!

My opinion of the pen has been based on how much I can buy a Lamy 2000 for (~$100 for a standard edition, ~$230 for stainless on eBay) and not the MSRP ($200 and $375 respectively). When I compare against MSRP, $590 for this LE isn't quite as obscene. While I still think the pen lacks a true limited edition anniversary feel (which affects what I'm willing to pay) a $200 premium for a LE isn't out of the ordinary. The LE also comes in a fancy box with an ink bottle (not worth that much but still an extra).

Maybe in a couple months the pen will get similar discounts, putting the price around $400-450. This would still be a hefty premium over a stainless but not quite so off-putting. I actually prefer this finish over the plain stainless, just not $200 prefer.

I wonder if the pricing for this pen is part of the reason Lamy recently cracked down on retailers offering more than a 20% discount.

This LE is numbered, the others are indeed limited in production, but they are not individual numbered so those are actually special editions

Are the black amber Lamy 2000 LE pens actually engraved or otherwise marked with a number? That would be different then, I think, since the Lamy Edition 2000 was LE and had a card with it which stated its individual number out of the total production amount on it. Thanks for the clarification! :)

Are the black amber Lamy 2000 LE pens actually engraved or otherwise marked with a number? That would be different then, I think, since the Lamy Edition 2000 was LE and had a card with it which stated its individual number out of the total production amount on it. Thanks for the clarification! :)

I expect that the pens will be engraved with their indivivudal number.

Edited by Appelboompen

Visit our webstore www.appelboompennen.nl

We ship worldwide!

While obviously our expectations (and the fun proposals) were a bit unrealistic, I would really have liked to have seen something more joyful as a celebration. I loved the red set, and thought purple could be cool. Even a demonstrator would be interesting. I guess my feeling is that the black amber just isn't very interesting. It's a high end boutique queen, not witty or engaging, for me.

Please forgive my stupid question: if the pen is really made of titanium, am I right in assuming that the "Amber black" Lamy 2000 will be noticeably lighter than the Stainless steel one?

I'm a little disappointed in this edition. Not because it looks "boring" or not "innovative" enough. But because the price is so astronomically high! I was hoping for a colored makralon version, not only would it be significantly cheaper, but probably look better. Oh well, still like the 2000, just won't be buying this one. I can think of 590 more important and better things that I could spend $590 on.

Just fyi - I got an email from PenChalet that they are now accepting pre-orders and the price is as mentioned, and no discounts are allowed: https://www.penchalet.com/fine_pens/fountain_pens/lamy_limited_edition_fountain_pen.html

Please forgive my stupid question: if the pen is really made of titanium, am I right in assuming that the "Amber black" Lamy 2000 will be noticeably lighter than the Stainless steel one?

The black amber LE Lamy 2000 writing instruments are made of stainless steel (or, at least, that's what all of the pen retailers have been sayin'). ;)

Edited by OnePenGuy

+1

I love Lamy pens. It was hard relationship because when I got into fountain pens I believed Safari to be the ugliest pen ever created. But then a friend gave me his Al-Start to review (for polish forum) and I've came to conclusion the pen was really great. I started buing Lamys and at the moment I store more than 10 of their pens. Some Lamy is always with me - usualluy beated Al-Star. I had high hopes but again Lamy's disappointed.

They would do better if they actually tried to listen to their customers as, for example, Pelikan or TWSBI do.

Would have loved a 50 years anniversary 2000 in a dark red, burgundy or charcoal makarolon finish with an ink window. Oh well, will have to wait for the 75th or 100th anniversary to come around. Will keep enjoying my regular black one for now. But I will go and see the Amber black one in the flesh just in case it is more stunning than what the picture/video reveals.

The price of a Pelikan M8xx series pen with 18K nib is around Eu 460.00 in Europe - and you may get a better price. Just sayin'

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

It may be worth considering how designs come into being. Although this is just a guess I suspect that the anniversary version is committee driven rather than the single vision that Muller pushed in 1966.

Here is a great thread on its history - Lamy design thread

Thanks EoC, I just put this link in the pinned topics.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

Blah... This design is just really uninspiring when I look at it. I hope the material is something cool at least and not just the boring Stainless steel. I think the "2000" edition was a much better executed pen...

I think I'll be giving this pen a pass in it's current state and price...

I was waiting for this, and it doesn't look bad or anything....heck, there's nothing wrong with the design choice, even if it's not my cup of tea. But that price!

Yeesh. I'll pass. Sorry Lamy.

Over priced and under-inspired....

Nature is the one song of praise that never stops singing. - Richard Rohr

Poets don't draw. They unravel their handwriting and then tie it up again, but differently. - Jean Cocteau

Ο Θεός μ 'αγαπάς