Lamy 2000 Anniversary?

Calabria

Where is the guy who was absolutely sure about a Micarta edition?

Right here! :D

I was just having fun with the rumour-mill. I thought everybody had realised that?

Anyway as for the advertised new 2000... yeah, nah (as they say in NZ). To me this is a thoroughly wasted opportunity on Lamy's part. I would be very interested in hearing the strategic details that drove this decision, but of course we never will.

In my opinion, as the lowest common denominator in the pen community, I think that the makrolon Lamy 2000 represents the essence of the company. Alterations to its basic design, including materials, is just a move away from that standard. They would have been better advised, again in my bottom-rung opinion, to have put effort into presentation rather than different designs. As it is both the steel and this new thing kind of remind me of gold-plated shovels. ;)

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• A1979

• Calabria

• Cryptos

• RMN

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Where is the guy who was absolutely sure about a Micarta edition?

One could compile a large list of reasons why Lamy wouldn't make a pen out of micarta.

One could compile a large list of reasons why Lamy wouldn't make a pen out of micarta.

For starters they are phoning it in for the big 50.

For another, they may very well lack the talent in-house to innovate anymore.

Magnus | Raleigh, NC [uSA] | @Magnus919 | TerraMagnus

For starters they are phoning it in for the big 50.

For another, they may very well lack the talent in-house to innovate anymore.

Except what Lamy is famous for is using outside designers, right?

Also, what we're talking about is a pen meant to be a tribute to or celebration of a 50-year-old pen design. Not anything innovative. It's supposed to be a 2000, just slightly special. Consider the 90th anniversary Montblancs from last year -- the same pen designs, but with rose gold trim, a special nib and special box (and thankfully the same price). JMHO.

Lamy probably invested a lot of money in coating technology and that's what we'll get from them.

I do think the special way in which they made Makrolon look distinguished by brushing it (thereby also muting it's tendency to scratch easily) was a stroke of genius that won't be repeated anytime soon.

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

Lamy probably invested a lot of money in coating technology and that's what we'll get from them.

I do think the special way in which they made Makrolon look distinguished by brushing it (thereby also muting it's tendency to scratch easily) was a stroke of genius that won't be repeated anytime soon.

Function, function, function!

I think it would have been a good idea to produce a facsimile of the first Lamy 2000, with the 'Germany' imprint in the cap and the 'L' at the knob bottom, commemorative package and info of Gerd Muller, and many would be glad to spent a premium to the regular price of the pen...

The price they're asking for the 'black amber ruthenium palladium edition, is madness.

While I am a bit underwhelmed by the pen, I am not surprised. I am not quite sure what people where expecting other than a new color/finish.

I am not quite sure I understand the talk of the pen abandoning Bauhaus principles and whatnot. Form follows function. Same form. Same function. Different color. I doubt most modern buyers consider the design ethos that went into the pen and are more concerned with the fact that it doesn't come in other colors like virtually every other Lamy.

Yes, it could have been much better, especially for the price. But after all the speculation, and a rumored price of 500 euro, could anything have lived up to the hype?

re: my previous post -

The 3D printed rip off that popped up on Taobao was kind of cool. I don't know if it's fancy enough for them to make it their 50th anniversary model, but it would be nice to see a demonstrator Lamy 2000 at some point.

What's the story about the 3D printed one? Must've missed the reference...

And separately, a translucent Lamy 2000 fp like the one I noticed before is being auctioned once more over there - http://item.ebay.com/252439541792 - does anyone know the story of where one can commission such a pen, and is it made with Lamy 2000 components? Just curious.

For that steel with a black amber finish edition that's 500 euros and available in September - I guess that's affordable? I emailed again to see if that was the one he meant was affordable, or if there were other limited or special edition jubilee editions in the plans (like a translucent Makrolon or Makrolon versions in other colors...). Hopefully he replies. :D

:thumbup:

Did my own sleuthin' to find the Taobao reference, in case others were outta the loop, fwiw... Seein' translucent lamy 2000 variants was kinda neat. :) Edited by OnePenGuy

Arrrrggggghhhhh! I'm so upset about this 50th Anniversary release for two reasons:

1). Too expensive for me right now

2). Even if I had the money, it's just not as "special" as I believe it this iconic pen should be

I was ready to pounce on this purchase, but I'll have to look at getting another pen :(

Matt

Yes, it could have been much better, especially for the price. But after all the speculation, and a rumored price of 500 euro, could anything have lived up to the hype?

The only thing that I see disappointing about this version is the price. The look is pretty cool. Wonder how it feels in the hand. I sold my only 2000, and I am NOT going to buy this one, but I would like to hold it one day and see it in person. But I feel that way about a lot of expensive pens. :vbg:

Well I am happy and sad and disappointed (royally) all at the same instant.

Happy: I was under some extreme austerity measures, budget-wise. So much so that I had begun to tune out FPN to protect myself from all the 'enabling' that goes on here.

I was fearful that I might fall off the wagon after hearing about an L2K anniversary edition that was just impossible to resist.

My money is safe.

Sad and disappointed because of obvious reasons. I was a huge fan of the L2K line. The makrolon version is simply the best. I also got the stainless steel version but I was a lesser of a fan of the stainless version (reason 1: heavy; reason 2: lacks ink window). Then I went back for more of the makrolon goodness by getting first the .5 and then the .7 lead mechanical pencils.

And I use all 4 items DAILY.

This version is just an enormous let down for me. I quite agree with all those who have chimed in before me with feelings of disappointment. This is the same as the stainless version with the two drawbacks mentioned above.

Lamy: you've lost yourself an L2K fan. A die-hard fan.

Edited by pepsiplease69

.....I mean come on, the annual limited edition Pilot VP has more creativity like this, and if lamy cant even come up with anything groundbreaking like a color fade or ombre, for a bicentennial occasion like this, they should be sucked into the history books for good. What a shame.

Huh?

50th, I believe. I don't know the word for that. hemicentennial? ah....semicentennial

Would be less disappointed by a 2k with the Z5x series of nibs and/or cc filler. After all, standardisation is quite important.

Would be less disappointed by a 2k with the Z5x series of nibs and/or cc filler. After all, standardisation is quite important.

that will probably never happen.

I agree with Roppleton that this pen is quite disappointing, it is basically no different aesthetically than the l2kM, which is already an existing product. The innovation and timeless design that the l2k is acclaimed for has been unmoved in its near 70 years of existence, yet now the current lamy is unable to match it in any way. They could have just put a nice gradient color on it, or even put some nice overlays to commemorate the event but no. They cheaped out and just repackaged an existing product to pander to the "occasion"

50 years of production are long enough to probe the quality of the design. Any anniversary pen had to keep the original design and the only possibility to have a different pen was in the color or the materials involve. I had like a different color . I will like to see the pen in the flesh to give a definitive opinion.

Perhaps we are being a bit too harsh with Lamy.

At the end of the day, the problem for me it that the anniversary edition is a variation of the 2000 metal.

I would pick the makrolon 2000 over the metal 2000 even if the two were priced the same and that's essentially because the 2000 metal is way too heavy for me.

The black amber (palladium) coating is probably nice and I am sure the 2000 anniversary edition will appeal the users of the 2000 metal.

Here is the Lamy 2000 LE! The first LE Lamy ever made, only 5000 fountajn pens worldwide.

https://instagram.com/p/BHUyuN3BL4V/

The "30 Jahre Lamy Design", (year) 2000 Edition, the Ceramicon in '06, and the titanium ballpoint were all LE's. So how is this LE different - the total production count?

If the pen is lightweight like the black one I might consider it. The stainless one is way too heavy for me.

If the pen is lightweight like the black one I might consider it. The stainless one is way too heavy for me.

It sounds like this anniversary pen is the stainless steel Lamy 2000 with the special "Amber Black" coating on it. So it is a heavy pen. And, you can get 3 of the Makrolon pens for this price of this one. Maybe 4 if you buy used pens.

I do like the looks, but not enough to pay the price. Not distinctive enough to be a 50th anniversary edition in my opinion, and I don't think I'd care much for the weight of the stainless steel model or any version based on it.

Eschew Sesquipedalian Obfuscation

The "30 Jahre Lamy Design", (year) 2000 Edition, the Ceramicon in '06, and the titanium ballpoint were all LE's. So how is this LE different - the total production count?

This LE is numbered, the others are indeed limited in production, but they are not individual numbered so those are actually special editions

Visit our webstore www.appelboompennen.nl

We ship worldwide!