• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• A1979

• Calabria

• Cryptos

• RMN

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If this will be the anniversary edition and if it will cost 500 I'm very happy as I'll use the saved money for something else - maybe the new Camel Midori.

Hmmm. I like it.

Qui tam pro domino rege quam pro se ipso in hac parte sequitur.

It looks like the PVD coating on the Imporium. The LE run further makes it an "aspirational" pen, which goes completely against the design philosophy propagated at the HfG Ulm, where Gerd Müller taught. Of course you could say it updates the "concrete" aesthetics of the 1950s to match the contemporary market ... but it's also like giving history the finger.

I'm also thinking of other design icons that have recently been "updated," like the VW Beetle and the Fiat 500. In those cases, however, the forms were reinterpreted, not just given a new coating.

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

OK so now we know the plain metal finish is out, I guess we might see a demonstrator.

(Just for my personal opinion, I would prefer a plain metal finish with (dark) colors, but not too expensive. Demonstrator is ok, but a less preferred option for me.)

I'd prefer a demonstrator as well. Show off the great engineering of the 2000. But... shouldn't cost appreciably more than a standard 2000. After all... clear plastic.

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

Wow. This pen is dull. Totally misses the boat, IMHO, both aesthetically and from an "industrial design" standpoint. I'll be sticking with my early 1970s L model.

The new Lamy Studio is much much cheaper and in the same colour, so if anyone likes this beige, (s)he may want to have a look at it. (280 zł equals about 71 USD).

EDIT: Forgot to add that I'm not affiliated: this is simply the first place where I saw the Studio.

Edited by Old_Inkyhand

I am always thankful when a special/limited edition pen is released that I have zero interest in, so much easier to resist purchasing. I'm not sure what Lamy could have done to make me interested in purchasing another 2000 but this was not it.

All the engraving in the world isn't going to help. It's still the same stainless steel, 2000. I'm just wondering what they were thinking. Had they made it any color other than just the same old stainless steel, it would have garnered some excitement. I like Red, others like blue, or purple. Maybe black or white. Even a Micarta version. LAMY, whoever decided on this, you need to fire them because they don't have a clue. And one more thing, you need to make your wizards of smart, spend some time here on the network, so you can see what your customers want.

Some regards

Allan😃

It's part of an elaborate misdirection. Getting the 'community' up in arms over a lacklustre 50th anniversary design only to spring the true design on release day. The idea being that everyone will be so overcome with relief that it's not going to be this steel-look thing and will rush to buy the new micarta design.

Clever of Lamy I suppose.

Maybe they're just targeting customers that don't use FPN.

Yep. It has the characteristics that appeal to the walk-in newbie looking to spend: expensive, metal (looks like it anyway), and heavy (I assume). Which isn't to say some long term fountain pen users don't settle on those characteristics as their preference but they are attributes which appeal to the first time or gift giving buyer.

Edited by rollerboy

There are different stories in different places regarding the material. Some folk are saying it's coated steel, others that it's titanium. I asked Lamy on their facebook page which is true, so we'll see if they answer. I have to say, if it's a machined titanium body, 500€ is a bargain . . .

Edited by ralfstc

The 3D printed rip off that popped up on Taobao was kind of cool. I don't know if it's fancy enough for them to make it their 50th anniversary model, but it would be nice to see a demonstrator Lamy 2000 at some point.

What's the story about the 3D printed one? Must've missed the reference...

And separately, a translucent Lamy 2000 fp like the one I noticed before is being auctioned once more over there - http://item.ebay.com/252439541792 - does anyone know the story of where one can commission such a pen, and is it made with Lamy 2000 components? Just curious.

For that steel with a black amber finish edition that's 500 euros and available in September - I guess that's affordable? I emailed again to see if that was the one he meant was affordable, or if there were other limited or special edition jubilee editions in the plans (like a translucent Makrolon or Makrolon versions in other colors...). Hopefully he replies. :D

:thumbup: