What Pen Are You Waiting For In The Mail 2015

RMN

I'm anxiously waiting for a Pelikan M800 Burnt Orange with an Italic Broad nib.

Very much jealous. The price still confuses me (it's more expensive than the m805 Stresemann and it's resin vs celluloid) but the color is just perfect.

I KNOW!

I heard from La Couronne a week ago that it would take one or two weeks for them to get it from Faber-Castell, but this is not exactly a pen that you sit chomping at the bit and staring out of the apartment mail box for it to arrive. You really should be leaning back in a moose leather recliner sipping a smoky whiskey chatting lightly with your hunting companions about the latest excursions into the Black Forest.

I usually do the former though…

I really like those Pen of the year. It's a bummer GvFC only does pistons in those. Hope you'll do a review.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TeaHive

• Feathers

• RMN

• Thier.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Impulse purchased a c.1958 Parker 61 in black with satin lustroloy cap and rolled gold clip to join my Parker 51. Now to see if it actually writes (sold as very good condition, but not sure if that just meant cosmetically), whether it fills with the strange capillary mechanism and what nib size it has...

Paid £15, so whilst it's not deal of the century, it wasn't too much.

When I picked up my first 61, I was told to flush through the capillary filler with the nib and feed down. I did that until I started to get ink flow. I then wrote with what was in the pen (doing that at repeated intervals) for nearly four months :excl: -- to the point that the ink was so pale as to be illegible. I now have a second 61, and I did the same thing with it when I got it.

I have both pens in rotation at the moment. The black one has Herbin Eclat de Saphir in it, and the turquoise one is sporting De Atramentis Apple Blossom. Eventually I may get tired of those two colors, and then it will be the long haul of flushing again. But the capillary filler system does work amazingly well in both pens (You just need to stick the bottom end of the capillary filler into the bottle for about 30 seconds, then wipe off the sides and replace the barrel). And they seem to hold a ridiculous amount of ink.... The next time I refill I may pay attention to exactly just how many pages of writing I get -- I'm pretty sure the black pen has a medium nib (not sure about the turquoise pen, but it might also be an M).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Just got the word from Michael Masuyama that my Pilot 912 and my Pelikan M101N red tortoiseshell are on their way. Woo-hoo!

Qui tam pro domino rege quam pro se ipso in hac parte sequitur.

Just got the word from Michael Masuyama that my Pilot 912 and my Pelikan M101N red tortoiseshell are on their way. Woo-hoo!

Enjoy!! They're BOTH classic FPs!!

Always try to get the dibs....on fountain pens with EF nibs!!

Last one (at the back) just arrived.

fpn_1446632309__gold_dip.jpg

From front to back:

Edward Todd, NY #1 nib, gold ferrule, ebony handle

Mabie Todd & Co., NY #2 nib, gold ferrule, ivory handle

Mabie Todd & Co., New York #3 nib, gold ferrule, ebony handle

Leroy W. Fairchild, New York #3 nib, gold ferrule, Mother of pearl Handle

E.S. Johnson & Co., Warranted New York No. 4 nib, sterling silver ferrule, Mother of pearl handle

Very much jealous. The price still confuses me (it's more expensive than the m805 Stresemann and it's resin vs celluloid) but the color is just perfect.

It's more expensive than the stresemann because the burnt orange is Special Edition, so it will be available for a short time. La Couronne du Comte has it at a great price, once you deduct VAT and use online coupons for an extra 10% off.

I have actually things to wait for. Hooray:

I'll be getting my very first Esterbrook; a copper J with a 9556 Fine firm nib, restored cond.

Bought it via the classifieds, very reasonably priced.

I'll also receive a few lower end pens that I got in a trade:

- A Stypen UP! mini pen; interesting.

- Another Noodler'sXPlatinum Preppy ED; loving it! But actually, just like with its 4 predecessors I will likely give it to a highly deserving newbie.

- A Hero 616; Eager to try. I have a P51 Special, let's see how it compares.

- Some home-built kit pen; maybe good, maybe not.

Hooray.

Last one (at the back) just arrived.

fpn_1446632309__gold_dip.jpg

From front to back:

Edward Todd, NY #1 nib, gold ferrule, ebony handle

Mabie Todd & Co., NY #2 nib, gold ferrule, ivory handle

Mabie Todd & Co., New York #3 nib, gold ferrule, ebony handle

Leroy W. Fairchild, New York #3 nib, gold ferrule, Mother of pearl Handle

E.S. Johnson & Co., Warranted New York No. 4 nib, sterling silver ferrule, Mother of pearl handle

EoC has so many beautiful nib holders, and for sure knows how to handle them (no matter what they themselves might say about it). Where are such treasures acquired, this one wonders? Noihvo does prefer wood handles, and would like to see one of equal decorative value in its collection, though doubts that such craftsmanship survives through the centuries.

Edited by Noihvo

"We are one."

– G'Kar, The Declaration of Principles

I'm expecting a TWSBI 580 with M nib to arrive in time for Fountain Pen Day, and some Diamine inks. I usually prefer EF nibs but at this time of year when colours disappear in nature I want to see more colour on the paper.

EoC has so many beautiful nib holders, and for sure knows how to handle them (no matter what they themselves might say about it). Where are such treasures acquired, this one wonders? Noihvo does prefer wood handles, and would like to see one of equal decorative value in its collection, though doubts that such craftsmanship survives through the centuries.

Sadly, this one only has the infamous Bay of the E for the searching and finding of such articles. None of those pictured are especially outstanding, though the picture itself is pretty (for a given value of 'pretty' with regard to this one's lack of any discernible photographic talent, an omission that is consistent with this one's inability to write in straight line or with anything even faintly resembling skill).

So as of right now I am waiting on 6 pens:

Bexley Imperial in white black swirl.

Edison Premiere Midnight Thunder Goulet´s exclusive.

Tactile Turn Gist in brass

Custom Hakumin Urushi in shiro tamenuri

Custom Lyle Ross pompei

Custom Jonathon Brooks Solar Dust

Vintage: 1910´s Astra Safety Pen. 1920´s Mabie Todd Swan lever filler, Royal Red Hard Rubber, The Eric Pen Woodgrain Ebonite. 1930´s Morrison´s Overlay Filigree, Waterman´s Ideal Thorobred, Conklin Endura. 1940´s Eversharp Skyline, Parker Vacumatic, Aurora 88. 1950´s Conway Stewart 15, Esterbrook J. 1970´s Sheaffer Imperial. 1980´s Cross Century Classic. 1990´s Rotring Newton Lava.

Modern: Nakaya Neo Standard, Montblanc Meisterstuck 149, Pelikan Souverän M1000, Omas 360 Vintage, Sailor 1911 Black Luster, Pilot Capless Raden, Pilot Custom 823 FA, Platinum 3776 Maki-e, Namiki Falcon, Lamy 2000, Montegrappa Espressione Duetto, Delta Dolce Vita, Visconti Homo Sapiens Bronze, Stipula Etruria Rainbow, Marlen Aleph, Bexley Poseidon, Franklin-Christoph 02, Namisu Nexus Titanium, Tactile Turn Gist, Karas Kustoms Ink, Twsbi Vac 700, Levenger L-Tech, Filcao Atlantica, Kaweco AC Sport, Lamy Safari.

Custom: Scriptorium Pens Idyll, Jonathon Brooks Solar Dust, Newton Pens Eastman, Fisher of Pens Hydra, Romulus Pen Works Snakewood, John Brady Solano, Lyle Ross Pompey, Troy Clark Copper pen, Antiguas Estilográficas Ebonite, Ryan Krusac Legend L14, Aileron pens Tsunami, Edison Pens Collier Amber, Sutra Pens Aquila Octopi, Hooligan Pens Buffalo Celluloid, Yoshi Nakama Snake pen, Kilk Kalem Pandora´s Box, Hakumin Urushi Ao Tamenuri Pearl, Fosfor Pens Islander, Sutra Pen Aquila.

Total bonus: I ordered *empty* Diamine ink bottles from Goulet pens so I'd have a place for ink I mix using various recipes. Got enough leftover majestic blue to fill a converter using a syringe. Woo-hoo!

Sailor Profit 1911 Large Burgundy with Cross Emperor nib

Visconti Ragtime (1990s cellulose model)

Omas Ogiva Vodka Lemon

...and my custom Nakaya Portable Cigar Bamboo by Silver Powder, which is expected around December/January.

Sailor shiki-oriori (pro-gear slim) in the haruzora (sky blue) and the yukitsubaki (white with red-pink flakes).

Feeding the habit by justifying it to the misses that this is a present for the both of us =).

When I picked up my first 61, I was told to flush through the capillary filler with the nib and feed down. I did that until I started to get ink flow. I then wrote with what was in the pen (doing that at repeated intervals) for nearly four months :excl: -- to the point that the ink was so pale as to be illegible. I now have a second 61, and I did the same thing with it when I got it.

I have both pens in rotation at the moment. The black one has Herbin Eclat de Saphir in it, and the turquoise one is sporting De Atramentis Apple Blossom. Eventually I may get tired of those two colors, and then it will be the long haul of flushing again. But the capillary filler system does work amazingly well in both pens (You just need to stick the bottom end of the capillary filler into the bottle for about 30 seconds, then wipe off the sides and replace the barrel). And they seem to hold a ridiculous amount of ink.... The next time I refill I may pay attention to exactly just how many pages of writing I get -- I'm pretty sure the black pen has a medium nib (not sure about the turquoise pen, but it might also be an M).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

Thanks for the tips. Received the pen yesterday, flushed it and tried to ink it up today... only to find the hood cracked and leaking despite it being sold ostensibly in 'very good condition'! Seems to be a fairly common problem but looks a bit tricky to fix at home.

Oh well. Have contacted the seller and hope to return it whilst I look for another, as the filling system is great.

Parker 75, Ingenuity, Premier, Sonnet, Urban | Pelikan M400 | TWSBI Diamond 580 | Visconti Rembrandt

Currently inked: Diamine Apple Glory (Rembrandt), Pelikan 4001 Turquoise (M400), Lamy Black (Diamond 580)

Oh man, oh man, oh man! They're supposed to arrive today. Signed up for the text notification. If I get up immediately and leave the meeting, I'm going to go see my Pilot 912 and my Pelikan M101N red tortoiseshell.

I have just received a Pelikan m805, bought on amazon.de, that looks exactly like a Stresemann clone,but without bearing the name; unfortunately, this F pen writes more like a B and its product number, 957662, appears on a lot of fountain pens sold on ebay as real Stresemanns , mainly by the same seller, Martemodena!

Fakes? second choices from Pelikan?

I couldn't let Fountain Pen Day go by without ordering something, so I chose this nice little Sheaffer from Greg Minuskin.

http://i.imgur.com/WXoxmZJ.gif

It's a Mini-Balance Lifetime Green Stripe, with a 0.7 mm medium stub nib.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.