What Pen Are You Waiting For In The Mail 2015

RMN

More money spent! More enabling, thank you, haruka337!

This should probably be in the inks section.

On reflection and further research, I realise that Sailor Tokiwa-matsu is NOTHING like any of my other greens (& I have a few because I use it for marking students' school work). It looks beautiful from the reviews I've seen. However, does the coppery sheen mean that there's something in it which could clog the feed/nib?

Anyway, I'm now £17 poorer, to add to the cost of my M400. I could have got it cheaper from Amazon, but want it NOW, so went with a British retailer.

More waiting for the postman. :)

Uh oh, now I want some! :D It's a gorgeous green.

Bex66:

It's my understanding that the sheen in most inks are not like J. Herbin 1670 Anniversary inks, which sheens like crazy due to "gold" powder mixed in, but since the powder is not soluble, it simply collects at the bottom of the bottle. To use it, you need to give the bottle a good shake and if it's in your fountain pen, you also have to give it a good shake from time to time as well. These inks can clog fountain pens, but as long as one is good about cleaning out their pens regularly this should never be an issue

As for all other inks with out sediment, I believe the sheen effect occurs when ink collects, pools a bit more in one spot of the paper than on others. This is why one sees a lot of sheen when using flex pens, stub, Italics, or broad nibs. This is also why one doesn't see much sheen in fine nibs and none in extra fine (and so on). Some inks will only sheen on certain papers; cheap/absorbent paper usually discourages most sheen from happening. So most sheeny inks will not clog your fountain pen.

To keep things related to the original post, the three center fountain pens are ones I've received in the mail within the last 4 weeks :wub: :

fpn_1434840774__imag2458.jpg

Sailor Professional Gear White w/ Pink Gold nib and trim (M-F), Sailor Sapporo (Slim) Lamé in yellow (M-F) and Pelikan M400 Tortoise White.

You may have paid a little more, but it's likely that the Pelikan Tortoises you saw on Amazon are not in stock by the third part vendors. Every seller I contacted on Amazon (among others) never had it when I inquired via email. :wallbash:

ooooh wonderful acquisitions!! I'm eying up that Sailor in White now :D

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TeaHive

• Feathers

• RMN

• Thier.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Feathers & haruka337, thanks again.

I'm thinking another Sapporo may be on my list. I love mine. The nib is amazing.

Haruka337, it was the ink I eyed on Amazon, not the M400, tortoiseshell.

I'm sure I could have got the Pelikan cheaper, (especially if I'd waited and kept trying) but I got it for the best retail price in the U.K. (by £35), so I don't feel too bad. I knew I may want the nib changing/adjusting, so I didn't want to be sending it half way round the world, or waiting 6 weeks!

I feel as though I'd like to continue these chats, but I realise this isn't really the right post. I don't have any pens winging their way to me now, only ink.

Edited for typos

Edited by Bex66

A brown striated 1940s Sheaffer Balance 500, military clip, with a semi-flex XF Feather Touch nib, and a blue Indus piston filler with a flex nib from Fountain Pen Revolution.

Now let's see how they fare in the chubby fingers of the USPS.

The Balance arrived in my hands today, and it writes beautifully. Smooth, and bit wetter than is good for me (who writes small and a little slowly), with Sailor Jentle Blue Black ink. I'll probably switch it to, oh, Pelikan 4001 Royal Blue to ease the flow a bit.

The nib feels a bit soft, and if I write lightly, it's a good XF line; some pressure can widen it out to about an M, but I don't that unless I explicitly choose to. Otherwise, just a bit of flair to the writing.

It is a very lovely pen. After hesitate for awhile, i finally gave up and bought one. Still waiting for it, maybe another 10 days.

And i should be banned from eBay, Martiniauctions, penboard... My bank will be happy this month, but not my wife. My waiting list is quite a number:

- A Pelikan M400 white tortoise, F.

- A Pelikan Pura P40, M (back from service)

- A Wancher Oshita Autumn Plum Nightangle Makie Lacquerware

- An unknown Pelikan, which i bough accidentally on eBay, suspect it is a M200.

- A Pelikan M200 solid red, M

- A Stipula Passaporto, blue demo, F

- A Lamy Al-star Orange Copper

- A Hero 3005

- A Lamy 2-pens pouch

- Several #5, #6 nibs

- Several international standard converters

Day 10, none of them arrived. The waiting is killing me. AAAAAAHHHHHHHH

Out of the stress, i just bought a Sailor 21k pocket FP in pink and a Pilot Elite 18k pocket and wait for them to be delivered.

How could i stop this madness.

A Mont Blanc midnight blue bottle of ink, 5 Chinese pens and a Parker 51! Yes, this month was definitely a binge for me. (I also bought a Playstation 4 and other non-pen related accessories)

Awaiting an as-yet-unidentified Laban. I liked the idea that it screws on to post. It's a very dark green and I got it very reasonably. I'll post pics when it comes in, which I expect will be later today.

CURRENT STABLE:

(2) Danitrio Tac Carry II / Xezo Architect / (2)(1920's era) Redipoint Flex / Libelle Vortex / Orange LE Pilot VP/ Mont Blanc Classique 144 / Dunhill Sidecar / Pilot 823 Clear Demonstrator / TWSBI 580 / Stipula Passaporto LE / Kaweco Sport WISH LIST:

MB Boheme / Platinum Hammered Sterling Silver / Pelikan M800 (clear demo) / Stipula Da Vinci / Visconti Opera Master / Delta Dolcevita Federico Oversize / Franklin-Cristoph 19 / Franklin-Christoph Model 25 w/ Masuyama nib

Today's mail should have an Esterbrook 9788, a Paul Wirt, and a Kullock Parker 51 kit.

Picking up this week-end:

3 Esterbrooks, some Parker Duofold parts and a Conklin pen/pencil set.

Also waiting on a pair of EASTERbrooks. B)

Got lucky on a small Mabie Todd Swan ringtop. I can't really describe it 'cause the pictures were awful, but the seller tested it for flex and I took a chance and got it for the minimum. Fingers crossed.

A black Lamy Al-Star with a fine nib - should arrive tomorrow. :)

Nature is the one song of praise that never stops singing. - Richard Rohr

Poets don't draw. They unravel their handwriting and then tie it up again, but differently. - Jean Cocteau

Ο Θεός μ 'αγαπάς

A black Lamy Al-Star with a fine nib - should arrive tomorrow. :)

Same here, except I just ordered mine. Took another gamble on Amazon, but this time ordered from the "Lamy" seller instead of the cheapest option. Last time I got a yellow fake. Fingers crossed that this one is real.

I have an excellent condition 1944 double jewel GF Parker 51 blue diamond vacumatic in cedar blue in the mail :)

AND IT CAN'T COME FAST ENOUGH lol

Also awaiting an Aston 20 pen leather folder.

<p>Tack</p><p>Australia</p><p> </p><p><span style="font-family:verdana, geneva, sans-serif;"><em>Never confuse legibility with eligibility....</em></span>

Took a chance and did something I normally wouldn't..buy a brand I'm not familiar with on line. I ordered

a Franklin-Christoph Model 20 Marietta with EF 18K nib. They only sell on line as far as I could learn.

It's supposed to be here Thursday. Hope I like it. Wanted to try an American brand.

Pat Barnes a.k.a. billz

Took a chance and did something I normally wouldn't..buy a brand I'm not familiar with on line. I ordered

a Franklin-Christoph Model 20 Marietta with EF 18K nib. They only sell on line as far as I could learn.

It's supposed to be here Thursday. Hope I like it. Wanted to try an American brand.

They sell at Pen Shows, too. They set up a few tables with about 50 demonstrators. It is hard to walk away without one or two. Anderson Pens has a couple of exclusive models, too.

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

currently I am waiting on:

Platinum 3776 Maki e Sansui

John Brady custom pen

Troy Clark copper pen

Rotring 600 lava

Vintage: 1910´s Astra Safety Pen. 1920´s Mabie Todd Swan lever filler, Royal Red Hard Rubber, The Eric Pen Woodgrain Ebonite. 1930´s Morrison´s Overlay Filigree, Waterman´s Ideal Thorobred, Conklin Endura. 1940´s Eversharp Skyline, Parker Vacumatic, Aurora 88. 1950´s Conway Stewart 15, Esterbrook J. 1970´s Sheaffer Imperial. 1980´s Cross Century Classic. 1990´s Rotring Newton Lava.

Modern: Nakaya Neo Standard, Montblanc Meisterstuck 149, Pelikan Souverän M1000, Omas 360 Vintage, Sailor 1911 Black Luster, Pilot Capless Raden, Pilot Custom 823 FA, Platinum 3776 Maki-e, Namiki Falcon, Lamy 2000, Montegrappa Espressione Duetto, Delta Dolce Vita, Visconti Homo Sapiens Bronze, Stipula Etruria Rainbow, Marlen Aleph, Bexley Poseidon, Franklin-Christoph 02, Namisu Nexus Titanium, Tactile Turn Gist, Karas Kustoms Ink, Twsbi Vac 700, Levenger L-Tech, Filcao Atlantica, Kaweco AC Sport, Lamy Safari.

Custom: Scriptorium Pens Idyll, Jonathon Brooks Solar Dust, Newton Pens Eastman, Fisher of Pens Hydra, Romulus Pen Works Snakewood, John Brady Solano, Lyle Ross Pompey, Troy Clark Copper pen, Antiguas Estilográficas Ebonite, Ryan Krusac Legend L14, Aileron pens Tsunami, Edison Pens Collier Amber, Sutra Pens Aquila Octopi, Hooligan Pens Buffalo Celluloid, Yoshi Nakama Snake pen, Kilk Kalem Pandora´s Box, Hakumin Urushi Ao Tamenuri Pearl, Fosfor Pens Islander, Sutra Pen Aquila.

Art Van Heselen is sending back a Waterman ringtop with a factory Broad nib that needed a bit of TLC...he was quite excited about it. Said it's REALLY flexy.

Now I'm excited, too.