What Pen Are You Waiting For In The Mail 2015

RMN

Well, I am waiting for a Jinhao x750 Shimmering Sands, from Goulet, together with lovely ink samples and a full bottle of Diamine Imperial Purple. And I will most likely be waiting FOREVER, since the local grocery store where we go to pick up packages seems to have lost it.

I got a notification slip in the post that I could go pick it up, and I skipped there happily waving it, only to be told by a dead-eyed cashier that they didn't have it. The postal services, when I rang them, informed me that the package had left their care. So either it's been stolen (probably by that cashier) or it's just...lost. I know there's no great amount of money involved but I've been waiting for weeks, and I was so excited, and I was going to ink it using my brand new bottle of Stormy Grey. So upset now.

I thought there was no thieves in Sweden and that this country was as regular as clockwork!!

Damn, I lose my last remaining illusions!

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TeaHive

• Feathers

• RMN

• Thier.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Bryan Goulet had a video about putting the italic nib from a Pilot Plumix into a Pilot Metropolitan. Duly impressed by my first Metropolitan a week ago, I got the two pens to try out the Pilot Metropolitan with an italic nib. Also got a bunch of ink samples – turns out I spent as much on the samples as the pens. Should arrive tomorrow. Good - because I got some writing to do. Can't hardly wait.

Qui tam pro domino rege quam pro se ipso in hac parte sequitur.

Actually they know me very well. Usually they try to deliver it to my personally, even outside of working hour because they know how i love my pens :D.

hahhaha mine knows me too. Probably most pen folks here have a pretty good relationship with their postman ;) That is very good service you receive too!

My Platinum Plaisir arrived today, and I promptly put the Preppy Extra Fine nib in it. It is marvelous, and girlishly pink. xD

My Platinum 3776 Century Chartres Blue Soft Fine made it to the US a couple days ago, still trekking it's way here.

I seem to be waiting forever. Overseas mail takes so long. Still waiting on my M150 and M200 but also added an R200 Deutsche Telekom rollerball to the list.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

Well, this is why I love FPN so much.

I ask a little throw-away question about a squeaky nib and a whole new aspect of FPs is opened up to me! Very intriguing. Thank you for enlightening me, Feathers.

I'm not sure whether the squeak is affecting the feel of the nib, as I don't know how it'd feel without it. I don't mind the noise at all. It's only slight and it goes away after a few sentences.

The pen is still too new for me to decide whether it's good enough. I need to give it a bit longer before making judgements. My Pilot Decimo medium took a couple of months to behave beautifully, arriving like a skittish filly, ready to be tamed.

Currently, my new M400 is nicely smooth with very occasional tiny skips. I wouldn't say it is my smoothest nib by any means, but it is very good. Should I be expecting it to be even better? I can easily return it for adjustment, if I need to.

I am also wondering, now, whether the F is a bit too broad for me. It's broader than all but the widest of the western mediums I own. Hmmmmm.

Well, this is why I love FPN so much.

I ask a little throw-away question about a squeaky nib and a whole new aspect of FPs is opened up to me! Very intriguing. Thank you for enlightening me, Feathers.

I'm not sure whether the squeak is affecting the feel of the nib, as I don't know how it'd feel without it. I don't mind the noise at all. It's only slight and it goes away after a few sentences.

The pen is still too new for me to decide whether it's good enough. I need to give it a bit longer before making judgements. My Pilot Decimo medium took a couple of months to behave beautifully, arriving like a skittish filly, ready to be tamed.

Currently, my new M400 is nicely smooth with very occasional tiny skips. I wouldn't say it is my smoothest nib by any means, but it is very good. Should I be expecting it to be even better? I can easily return it for adjustment, if I need to.

I am also wondering, now, whether the F is a bit too broad for me. It's broader than all but the widest of the western mediums I own. Hmmmmm.

My pleasure, and truly, on the subject there are so many more folks here with far greater knowledge than I. I am really only speaking from my own experience with my M600. Give it some time, try it out on different papers, and throw some different inks in it as well. Note if that makes any differences. As I said, it did not matter what I threw at my original nib, it was a squeaky, skippy mess, but now it's smooooooooth and gushy and never skips. I have a medium nib and it's got a really wet line. If you have a loupe, maybe take a peek at the tines and see if they are misaligned? If it continues the squeaking, and especially the skipping, you might consider having it adjusted. Good luck with it :)

Bryan Goulet had a video about putting the italic nib from a Pilot Plumix into a Pilot Metropolitan. Duly impressed by my first Metropolitan a week ago, I got the two pens to try out the Pilot Metropolitan with an italic nib. Also got a bunch of ink samples – turns out I spent as much on the samples as the pens. Should arrive tomorrow. Good - because I got some writing to do. Can't hardly wait.

Nice!! I'm looking forward to hearing how you made out with it :) Hahahha, yeah with the samples, you think "ohh, they're only a buck and a bit each, sooo cheap, I can buy lots!" but they do add up ;) Enjoy!

This FP bug seems to be never leaving me... Was searching for a grip section for my Lamy Studio and ended up ordering OHTO Slim Fine and a couple of J. Herbin FP(that small pen) along with the section.

Regards

Subramoniam

This FP bug seems to be never leaving me... Was searching for a grip section for my Lamy Studio and ended up ordering OHTO Slim Fine and a couple of J. Herbin FP(that small pen) along with the section.

How did that happen? Oh, yes, a similar thing happened to me. I went looking for a nice $100 or so pen. I also decided on a Lamy Studio. Upgraded to the gold nib. Decided to order some new ink to go with it—Lamy ink for Lamy pens. Check-out time and my total was over $500. How did that happen?

Edited by Frank C

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

Ha! Yes, choosing an ink has been a dilemma.

I usually start with Waterman blue-black, ever since I read Richard Binder's comments about priming a nib. However, I couldn't face it in such a beautiful pen.

Ideally I fancied Deep Orange (Cult Pens' Diamine range), but I don't want to risk any red-based colours, at least while the pen is so new, just in case of staining the inside of the barrel.

So, my first ink was Waterman Harmonious Green. Unfortunately, the pen didn't really like it. Somehow it felt 'heavy' nibbed, if that makes sense, and a bit too saturated.

So, on day 2, I'm already on the second colour - Lamy turquoise. This ink seems to behave beautifully in anything I put it in.

So far, so good. I'd post a writing sample, but my writing is hideous compared with the beautiful examples I see on here, so I'm too embarrassed!

Oh, I forgot to mention - the nib has a cute little squeak when I first start it up after a break. I'm not sure it is supposed to do this. Can you suggest a reason? Is it just an idiosyncrasy, or something that needs fixing?

Any advice would be gratefully received. :)

I don't have this issue with my Pelikan, but as someone else mentioned, I do have a Pilot Decimo (same nib as Vanishing Point--medium) that "sings", but doesn't when I use more lubricating inks. The inks that halt "singing" are all of my Pilot Iroshizuku inks, both Noodler's Black Swan (English & Australian Rose) Sailor Kiwa-Guro Pigmented Black and Sailor Sei-boku Pigmented Blue Black Sailor. Sailor Jentle Ink "Four Seasons" has also proven to lubricate a FP nicely. People praise Aurora Black for it's lubrication, but it's never worked for me. If you'd like me to send you a sample or two (I have two empty sample vials) of the inks noted,do let me know!

Perhaps running a brass shim between the tines will help (with the occasional skip and "singing") , but beyond that, if you're not experienced in making nib adjustments, I implore you, don't do it yourself! If the "singing" bothers, the most reasonable thing to do is ask the vendor to replace or adjust the nib. "Singing" doesn't bother me--it's extra feed-back that I rather enjoy, especially with softer nibs.

Sailor Tokiwa-matsu is a beautiful evergreen ink, with a warm coppery sheen to it and I adore it in the Pelikan M400 Tortoise White. Sailor Kobe #22 Shinkaichi Gold is an Ink I image would suit this pen as well (emailing cool-japan from ebay for it!).

Edited by haruka337

Ink, a drug.

― Vladimir Nabokov, Bend Sinister

Instagram:
a.transient.life

They're here. A Pilot Plumix with a 1.0 mm italic nib, and a Pilot Metropolitan with a M nib. I switched the nibs, so now I have a Pilot Metropolitan with a 1.0 mm stub nib for $24. Inked it up with Black Swan and Australian Roses. Good to go.

The Plumix with the M nib is fun, too. I was just going to toss it. But now I think I'll keep it.

I hope everyone has as much fun with their package as I'm having with mine.

Qui tam pro domino rege quam pro se ipso in hac parte sequitur.

Oh my goodness, Haruka337 & Feathers, I am humbled by your knowledge and support. Thank-you so much for offering to send me an ink sample, Haruka337. I will look into your suggestions and see what I can get here.

I agree, I do think I need to give my beautiful M400 more time, ink & paper trials. I have yet to splash out ( ;) ) on any Sailor inks, but maybe now is the time to try them. I have been thinking that I don't have the ideal colour for the tortoiseshell. The Tokiwa-Matsu looks like a similar colour to Diamine Delamere green, which is currently in my TWSBI mini, and it's gorgeous. I also have Herbin Lierre Sauvage, which I can try. The Kobe 22 looks like it would blend into the colours in the tortoiseshell beautifully, but I can't see that being available in th UK.

That said, I am thinking that a nib which may be soooo fussy about ink & paper is a nuisance. The nib is also a touch on the broad side for me, with a bit too much feedback. Anyway, I'll reserve judgement for a while.

I certainly wouldn't dare trying to adjust the nib myself. I've never done it before (I haven't got any of the necessary equipment yet), so I'm not risking ruining a lovely gold nib. I may venture into this area in the future, but I'll be playing with cheap Chinese imports and old VPens!

Thanks again :)

How did that happen? Oh, yes, a similar thing happened to me. I went looking for a nice $100 or so pen. I also decided on a Lamy Studio. Upgraded to the gold nib. Decided to order some new ink to go with it—Lamy ink for Lamy pens. Check-out time and my total was over $500. How did that happen?

That's what it is. Last year around this time I was searching for Lamy F and EF nibs (my Studio had M, too broad and spares not available in UAE), ended up with a Lamy ST, ABC(for daughter), Lamy CP1(a gift for uncle) Pilot Birdie mech.pencil along with the nibs and a GBP 100 on my credit card!! :D :D :D

Regards

Subramoniam

More money spent! More enabling, thank you, haruka337!

This should probably be in the inks section.

On reflection and further research, I realise that Sailor Tokiwa-matsu is NOTHING like any of my other greens (& I have a few because I use it for marking students' school work). It looks beautiful from the reviews I've seen. However, does the coppery sheen mean that there's something in it which could clog the feed/nib?

Anyway, I'm now £17 poorer, to add to the cost of my M400. I could have got it cheaper from Amazon, but want it NOW, so went with a British retailer.

More waiting for the postman. :)

I have a vintage Waterman from Israel stuck in customs or something. It arrived in the US on the 16th and hasn't left NYC yet. It's yellow. I really want that pen.

Bex66:

It's my understanding that the sheen in most inks are not like J. Herbin 1670 Anniversary inks, which sheens like crazy due to "gold" powder mixed in, but since the powder is not soluble, it simply collects at the bottom of the bottle. To use it, you need to give the bottle a good shake and if it's in your fountain pen, you also have to give it a good shake from time to time as well. These inks can clog fountain pens, but as long as one is good about cleaning out their pens regularly this should never be an issue

As for all other inks with out sediment, I believe the sheen effect occurs when ink collects, pools a bit more in one spot of the paper than on others spots. This is why one sees a lot of sheen when using flex, stub, Italics, or broad nibs. This is also why one doesn't see much sheen when using fine nibs and none in extra fine (and so on). Some inks will only sheen on certain papers; cheap/absorbent paper usually discourages most sheen from happening.

Most sheeny inks will not clog your fountain pen, including Sailor Jentle "Four Seasons" ink.

To keep things related to the original post, the three center fountain pens are ones I've received in the mail within the last 4 weeks :wub: :

fpn_1434840774__imag2458.jpg

Sailor Professional Gear White w/ Pink Gold nib and trim (M-F), Sailor Sapporo (Slim) Lamé in yellow (M-F) and Pelikan M400 Tortoise White.

You may have paid a little more, but it's likely that the Pelikan Tortoises you saw on Amazon are not in stock by the third party vendors. Every seller I contacted on Amazon (among others) never had it when I inquired via email. :wallbash:

Edited by haruka337

Ink, a drug.

― Vladimir Nabokov, Bend Sinister

Instagram:
a.transient.life