What's The Most Expensive Fountain Pen You Ever Bought?

Sky Fountain Pens

The nouvelle ringtop I'm contemplating ordering from Shawn Newton...even with a minimum of gold it will be a healthy five bills.

i may have to wait for someone in my family to die.

LMAO.

"No, no...its no problem, Aunt Helga. I'm happy to get your cigarettes. In fact, I bought you a whole carton!"

Sorry...did I already reply to this thread? Maybe so...but again: My Pelikan M405 that I just got, but is now in my wife's command and will be untouchable until Christmas morning...that is my most expensive pen by far.

Edited by sirgilbert357

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wspohn

• inkstainedruth

• ______Zaphod_Beeblebrox

• 4lex

My most expensive pens are my Pelikan M800s. I would love to get an M1000 but I never seem to save enough for it.

Well, this one. Just got it and is still breaking it in and learning its habits and peculiarities, but I expect that the Huntsman and I will have a good long life together.

fpn_1449079872__p1010491.jpg

"We are one."

– G'Kar, The Declaration of Principles

Back in the '80s, when I had money, I was foolish enough to pay $12,000 for a FP and BP Waterman LeMan 100 set in 18k solid gold. I later bought a similar Parker Premier set. I really should get them out of the safe and use them once in awhile.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

Well, this one. Just got it and is still breaking it in and learning its habits and peculiarities, but I expect that the Huntsman and I will have a good long life together.

fpn_1449079872__p1010491.jpg

Beautiful, but be aware of the cap, my one is prone to catch tiny tines from where that I have no idea.

The most expensive fountain pen that I've ever bought was a Waterman Phileas which I bought for $22.95 USD in the first decade of the 21st Century.

Now that was the most I've ever paid for a fountain pen, and I bought more than one Phileas at that price.

The fountain pen with the highest sticker price I've ever bought was a Sheaffer Imperial IV cc filler with a broad nib that had a price display integral to the case that said, "$50.00." I paid $19.00 USD for that pen. I needed to really clean it in the ultrasonic cleaner, after having flushed it, before it would even work. Good fountain pen after that though.

On a sacred quest for the perfect blue ink mixture!

ink stained wretch filling inkwell

I bought a Waterman Man 100 Opera back in the early 90's when they were around $200. Haven't paid that much since (although i do have a couple of vintage pens that tried to cost me that much, but I won that battle)!

So, what's your point?

(Mine is a flexible F.)

About a minute ago I paid 79 euros for a Lamy Studio 2008 Limited edition with a gold nib.

This is a new record for me.

The mystery is why they call a brown pen "Ruby Black."

^Do you post it? The cap looks really heavy. But that pen is just so gorgeous.

fpn_1449604098__posting_the_huntsman_1.j

fpn_1449604117__posting_the_huntsman_2.j

fpn_1449604134__posting_the_huntsman_3.j

"We are one."

– G'Kar, The Declaration of Principles

• 4 weeks later...

Back in the '80s, when I had money, I was foolish enough to pay $12,000 for a FP and BP Waterman LeMan 100 set in 18k solid gold. I later bought a similar Parker Premier set. I really should get them out of the safe and use them once in awhile.

:yikes: :yikes: :yikes: . would you have views on the 18K Parker Premier vs the regular brass(?) in terms of weight, balance etc ?

Although it worked out at the same price as the Waterman 94 that EoC briefly owned, the current most expensive pen - by a country mile - is the Pilot CH912 FA. Somewhere around $140.

That record will not last to the end of 2016 one suspects, though the number of pens bought has diminished rapidly (the quality having gone up).

:yikes: :yikes: :yikes: . would you have views on the 18K Parker Premier vs the regular brass(?) in terms of weight, balance etc ?

I don't own any other Parker Premiers, but comparing the 18k Premier to my 75s, the 18k is quite a bit heavier overall, with the weight of the cap tilting the balance toward the back when it's posted. It's a substantial pen, despite being relatively narrow. I have some wonderful 75 nibs that work perfectly in this pen.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

I tend not to want to tie up huge amounts of money with solid gold pens. They are exactly like the plated or vermeil versions except that they cost more, and value per se has never really done it for me. If you want a nice list of Parker 75 in solid gold with pictures see

http://www.parker75.addr.com/Reference/Parker75_Ref.htm#Parker_75.htm

Having said that, there are some interesting alternatives. The Parker company did a very small run of pens in vermeil instead of solid gold as salesman's samples, because the dealers didn't want to stock a pen with a list north of $20K. They can be found) it took me 3 years to finally bag one.

Same situation with the Waterman Man 100 in 18K - there were specimen pens made up for demonstration purposes. It is estimated that there might be a hundred out there somewhere and people tend to hang onto them. I managed to buy one after a couple of year's hunting, and they are identical to the real pen except for being stamped 'specimen' (the Parker was stamped 'metal' and came with full special box and certificate of authenticity but marked with 'sample' instead of a serial number.)

Edited by wspohn

Bill Spohn

Vancouver BC

"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence"

Robert Fripp

https://www.rhodoworld.com/fountain-pens.html

Mine is a pristine Parker 51 Empire capped I got from David Nishimura in 2005. I still have it along with a matching pencil I traded for since then. While David isn't inexpensive, his pens are always top notch. You get what you pay for. It disappeared from my roll aboard business case along with a few other very expensive pens back in 2008 and which I later found for sale on eBay by an enterprising and now ex-baggage handler for United Airlines. I subsequently got it back along with my father's 1953 Parker 51 Special and my Onoto Centenary and some other valuable pens. The one pen that got away was a gorgeous Onoto Magna lever filler with an awesome #7 nib sold to someone on eBay who I contacted and told them their pen was from a stolen collection. They've changed their eBay screen name and never acknowledge any of my messages so they are as much as an accomplice as the person who sold them the pen in my opinion. Since then prices of vintage Onoto Magna pens have skyrocketed so I doubt I will be able to get another. I am very fortunate to have the other pens back in my possession.

"If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z, X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut."

- Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

First place would have to be a Montblanc Legrand Silver Barley Doue , then a 149 and possibly the Pelikan 1000.

Regards

Jeff