Sailor Four Seasons: 8 Inks Compared

lgsoltek

What are your favourites?  

267 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourites?

I had the same issue a few months back--buying the entire line was the only logical solution. :P

Just ordered Oku-yama and Sky High. B)

My local retailer had Sky High in stock, so I picked that one instead of some of the "blueish" Seasons inks.

Edited by AndyYNWA

YNWA - JFT97

Instagram: inkyandy

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AndyYNWA

• lgsoltek

• Dhruv_Sood

• migo984

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Excellent review. Some really nice colors in those.

Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right

to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.

For without are dogs, and sorcerers, and whoremongers, and murderers,

and idolaters, and whosoever loveth and maketh a lie. Revelation 22:14-15

• 2 weeks later...

WRITING SAMPLES

(All of these are written with Platinum 3776 Century M nib. It’s not a wet writer so the sheen is not evident. But with a wet pen the sheen is amazing. They are all very saturated inks, the shading depends on your pen. I think Souten, Yama-Dori and Oku-Yama have some shading potential.)

attachicon.gifsample1.jpg

In the following sample, the ink names on the right are written with a dip pen. The sheen is more noticeable, though not so on the scan.

attachicon.gifsample2.jpg

DRY TIME

None of them are long-driers, unlike some Noodler’s.

attachicon.gifdrytime.jpg

Thank you for your reply. It's great. I love Okuyma.

I just ordered YamaDori off Cult pens as they have just started stocking these - if anyone knows of a good source which i s less expensive please let me know

I just ordered YamaDori off Cult pens as they have just started stocking these - if anyone knows of a good source which i s less expensive please let me know

You can get them to a good price at Rakuten, but it's usually cheaper to buy more than one, if not all eight colours.

Single bottles:

http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/komamono-honpo/item/13-1005/

All 8 bottles:

http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/komamono-honpo/item/km-set-13-1005/?s-id=borderless_browsehist_en

Edited by AndyYNWA

YNWA - JFT97

Instagram: inkyandy

AndyWNWA has given you the link already to the Global Rakuten shop I use. Including shipping to the UK it came to just over £54 for all eight bottles. The seller is very responsive and communicates well and they ship promptly. From order to delivery in 8 days, via Japan Post EMS. They accept PayPal too.

It really is straightforward to buy from them; I've placed several orders in the past. Register with Global Rakuten first as it makes ordering easier. Just make sure to look out for the sellers email asking you to confirm order and shipping option (may take a day or two to receive it). If you don't respond they cancel the order.

Verba volant, scripta manent

purepens.co.uk if you prefer a more local source.

Yes, much cheaper than Cultpens, who charge far too much.

I still prefer to use Japanese sellers for Japanese products. It's a shame some Japanese sellers still won't deal with overseas customers though.

purepens.co.uk if you prefer a more local source.

+1

thewritingdesk.co.uk is less expensive than cultpens.co.uk, but purepens.co.uk is cheaper still!

bayesianprior.png

Helpful post, cheers!

AndyWNWA has given you the link already to the Global Rakuten shop I use. Including shipping to the UK it came to just over £54 for all eight bottles. The seller is very responsive and communicates well and they ship promptly. From order to delivery in 8 days, via Japan Post EMS. They accept PayPal too.

It really is straightforward to buy from them; I've placed several orders in the past. Register with Global Rakuten first as it makes ordering easier. Just make sure to look out for the sellers email asking you to confirm order and shipping option (may take a day or two to receive it). If you don't respond they cancel the order.

You know you'll still be liable for 20% import VAT, and possibly any handling charges by 'Royal' Mail or whoever?

Helpful post, cheers!

You know you'll still be liable for 20% import VAT, and possibly any handling charges by 'Royal' Mail or whoever?

My 8 inks weren't stopped by customs. I buy a lot of stuff direct from Japan & my experience is that if the package is marked in yen, 2 out of 3 of them go straight through. Unlike parcels with custom forms completed in dollars which always get stopped. It's as though they are too lazy to convert yen to pounds. I was having the same conversation at a Pen Geeks meeting yesterday & others have the same experience.

My 8 inks weren't stopped by customs. I buy a lot of stuff direct from Japan & my experience is that if the package is marked in yen, 2 out of 3 of them go straight through. Unlike parcels with custom forms completed in dollars which always get stopped. It's as though they are too lazy to convert yen to pounds. I was having the same conversation at a Pen Geeks meeting yesterday & others have the same experience.

Well, I raise a glass, and say "here's to hoping"; cheers!

By the way, it's probably not that they're too lazy but that the amount of items coming from Japan is a mere minor fraction of that coming from USA.

Edited by Hospitalier

Well, I raise a glass, and say "here's to hoping"; cheers!

By the way, it's probably not that they're too lazy but that the amount of items coming from Japan is a mere minor fraction of that coming from USA.

Yes I think you're right of course. I was just poking fun at them ;-)

Edit: I have noticed, however, that parcels from Japan marked in US dollars are always stopped.

Edited by migo984

I love this kind of review. It was superb. Now I already wanted 3 of these terribly. Now I am just besides myself wanting to order. But I cannot do that right now because of finances. Oh that ink is spectacular looking. I wanted both greens, and the Yama-dori. I hope I can order before they stop selling these!