How To Refill A Parker 75 Mechanical Pencil ?

ooldwoolf

HI, folks,

I'v got a Parker 75 mechanical pencil. But I have no idea how to refill it.

do I need put the lead inside? or just insert the lead from the tip?

Can someone offer any advice?

Thanks.

post-23954-0-96362000-1415564674_thumb.jpg

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ooldwoolf

• icardoth

• Sky Fountain Pens

• BarryParker

You could try the tip but be careful an remember to press the top when your doing it.

it doesn't like the Parker 51 mechanical pencil with which you just need to press the top and then the mini claw would open to clutch the lead.

in this Parker 75 pencil, you need the turn the barrel then the lead will come out.

I have once ruined a vintage sheaffer mechanical pencil by just inserting the lead from the tip directly, then it stop working, and the lead would slip out of the burrel .

To clear out any remnants of old lead wind the pencil out until you hear a click, you might see the brass tip of the mechanism at the tip at this point but please don't mistake it for lead and attempt to pull it out or you might kill your pencil :(, then wind it back again feeding in a new lead at the tip as you go. When you have about 1-2mm still protruding press it carefully onto a firm surface and this should snap the lead into the mechanism and hold it firm.

Hope this helps :)

Edited by ceejaybee

To clear out any remnants of old lead wind the pencil out until you hear a click, you might see the brass tip of the mechanism at the tip at this point but please don't mistake it for lead and attempt to pull it out or you might kill your pencil :(, then wind it back again feeding in a new lead at the tip as you go. When you have about 1-2mm still protruding press it carefully onto a firm surface and this should snap the lead into the mechanism and hold it firm.

+1 exactly what I do. The same method works with many of the other vintage pencils in the 0.9 mm ~ 1.15 mm lead size range irrespective of brand.

Moshe ben David

"Behold, He who watches over Israel neither slumbers nor sleeps!"

amazing ,it does work!!!!

I just tried on my super vintage sheffer pencil, it does work !!!!!

I have been thinking it is dysfunctional and left it drawer for a couple of years. once I have ever considered throwing it to the garbage. :D

• 5 years later...

Hi, everybody!

I ended in this somewhat old thread while looking for instructions for Parker75, almost exactly the same look (ciselé) as the one in the beginning of this thread.

I had quite hard time accepting the answer to insert the lead from the tip.

I looked at the top cone where the lead extens from the bottom of the pen and realized you can just unscrew it. Simple as that. When you unscrew it, right behind there is the lead holder, a small pipe maybe 1/16 inch in diameter. You can drop a new lead into the pipe, screw back the cone into place and the job is done. No feeding of lead into pen from the tip.

So the procedure could be as follows:

- when you're almost out of lead, twist the top of the pen until the remnant of the lead drops out or until you feel increased resistance

- twist the top of the pen iinto opposite direction until you feel increased resistance

- unscrew the cone on the bottom of the pen

- turn the pen upside down so you see what you're doing

- drop in the lead into the pipe

- screw back the cone

- twist the top of the pen until the lead comes out again.

That completes the procedure.

Edited by MisterZed

• 2 years later...
On 11/10/2014 at 8:39 AM, ceejaybee said:

Very many thanks. It worked first time and my old Parker is back in service. Thank you so much.