Esterbrook Brand Being Revived This December?

KBeezie

• Replies 707
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FarmBoy

• KBeezie

• OcalaFlGuy

• JonSzanto

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was in the "They're not trying to market to FP enthusiasts" camp until I saw the kerfuffles on Facebook. The very fact that they've been participating in conversations with penners over there tells me they have no idea WHO they're marketing, they have no idea HOW to market, and they have no chance at all of making a success of this.

On the other hand...the Wearever comment made me LOL, especially with Bruce's wince...

I thought these people couldn't get any worse, and I've just read a new FB post from Lisa Anderson. The stunning bone-headedness of this venture is literally off the charts.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

I like Wearevers! Much better writers than they are given credit for, at least the ones I've restored from flea market finds.

Yes, I like the Wearever DeLuxe pens, pretty decent.

www.esterbrook.net All Esterbrook, All the Time.

I thank the Anderson Pens for offering us a link to view their review video. I agree it is a VERY nice box!

( AND......... Yes I did have a "Southern mother AND Grandmothers! ")

I liked Brian's review as well. Very fair. The comparison at the end with other available pens at this price range was spot on, all good suggestions.

After seeing this I was musing, another pen at almost the same price (85 as of now) is the Karas Kustoms INK. However the INK seems to be the very antithesis to the n-estie. See here:

Karas: Went through kickstarter legitimately -Raising funds to start production- and was very successful.

N-estie: Uses kickstarter as a mere marketing ploy -having people pledge money for a product that is already commercially available- and not currently successful in doing so.

Karas: Modern materials (CNC-d AL) and production methods.

N-estie: Traditional stuff here.

Karas: Made in the US. Also offered great transparency during the kickstarter process.

N-estie: Made somewhere, no transparency offered.

Karas: Uses German brand components (Schmidt Nib units and converters), with 3 nib sizes available as stock options (and no extra cost)

N-estie: Doesn't have any of those things.

Karas: Proudly proclaims to be a very new company, which also makes different products.

N-estie: Proclaims to be an old company.

Now, disclaimer: I don't have an INK, neither would I want one (too heavy), not affiliated in any way either.

I just thought this is interesting, how something profoundly new wins in every way over something that holds up an old corpse from the past and says it's still just as good.

Couldn't they have just revived Wearever?

I thought we did...

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

Maybe they should have called these pens "Whatever".

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Mighty big step! A real deal breaker. Acrylic - would rather have a Noodler's or FPR Treveni Jr. acrylic (more nib options)

I don't pretend to be a serious collector or knowledgeable pen guy. I suppose there's nothing wrong with buying a name and making a pen. I am, however, disappointed in their choosing to call it a "J" when it bears no resemblance to a J. I wouldn't mind seeing a new real J, even in a c/c model. Filling systems can evolve; after all, the old Dorics were lever fillers, then changed to pistons. Just don't call a mule a horse, please.

Just don't call a mule a horse, please.

If it looks like it and smells like it...

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

If it looks like it and smells like it...

Makes me think of the line from 1776, where Benjamin Frankline and John Dickinson are arguing about whether or not the colonists should still consider themselves as Englishmen [copied and pasted from the Quotes link to the movie on IMDB]:

John Dickinson: What's so terrible about being called an Englishman? The English don't seem to mind.

Dr. Benjamin Franklin: Nor would I, were I given the full rights of an Englishman. But to call me one without those rights is like calling an ox a bull. He's thankful for the honor, but he'd much rather have restored what's rightfully his.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

edited for typos and formatting issues

Edited by inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Being relatively new to the FP world, I have a question regarding Conklin. One of the things that is being mentioned in terms of the Esterbrook pen brand being revived is that the guy running it also revived the Conklin brand. For those in the now, is that actually the case that the Conklin brand has been "revived" and doing well?

I hate the new pens they are putting out, but if they did well with Conklin....

"Doing well" is relative. The revived Conklin brand was sold to another company (Yafa) after the revival by the Father of the New Esterbrook principle. Or something along those lines. Farmboy doesn't do modern even if they are done well. I'll not be buying a New "J" twice.

FB