Esterbrook Brand Being Revived This December?

KBeezie

If it matters, 'those guys' are not marketing their pens to the FPN crowd nor are they marketing them to the vintage Esterbrook crowd.

It might surprise some but the membership of FPN is not a market maker in the fountain pen world.

FPN may not be "a market maker" but it is a major source of fountain pen information. Anyone purchasing a pen online is only a few clicks away from discovering this thread or negative reviews should they occur. Better to have good PR than bad when it comes to selling products. We shall see if the pens are so terrific that they garner positive reviews. If so, the company's false steps should prove irrelevant.

Again, I would rather see fountain pen manufacturers enjoy success than experience failure. But treating the community with respect would have been more wise than antagonizing us. It's short-sighted to do anything less.

A certified Inkophile

inkophile on tumblr,theinkophile on instagram,inkophile on twitter

• Replies 707
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FarmBoy

• KBeezie

• OcalaFlGuy

• JonSzanto

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am Tippi Hedren. I still look cool. I won't be buying one of... those.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Rosenberg certainly has his knickers in a twist. Calling someone a liar without refuting the info Chad presented doesn't resolve or prove anything. Then he walks away with a dismissive final comment? He turned it into a personal attack and that's unacceptable. What kind of PR strategy is that? Dang. I keep trying to find something positive here and root for Estie success, but he is making it awfully difficult.

A certified Inkophile

inkophile on tumblr,theinkophile on instagram,inkophile on twitter

The most annoying thing about the whole thing was the inability to correctly use "your" and "you're". My trust has been eroded another inch...

The most annoying thing about the whole thing was the inability to correctly use "your" and "you're". My trust has been eroded another inch...

Ha. I felt the same way...

My eye zeroed in on that so quickly I had to reread the whole thing to see what it was about!

I honestly don't know about the Truewriter. I recall it being somewhat problematic several years ago, but many swear by them, so their quality control may be consistent now.

*used and NOS (vintage - New Old Stock) Esterbrook in excellent to repairable condition are still out there.

My first Truewriter ( a long time ago) was a great pen except for one thing. It wouldn't write. Back to the seller it went. Customer service was great, unlike the pen.

I have tried again during the last 8 years and have no complaints about consistency, quality. It's a good pen at a good price and the interchangeable nibs are a nice plus. My backup grading pen is a Truewriter Demo that has never failed to start right up, even after weeks of inactivity in my bookbag as it waits for its close up. I haven't needed customer service on these three but I will note that any less than favorable comment in the reviews on the Levenger website gets a rapid response from customer service with contact information. They really do want to make it right.

As for the new so-called Esterbrooks, I am singularly underwhelmed by looks and price. Anyone who appropriates copyrighted material loses my confidence. This vintage Estie user will be looking elsewhere to feed his addiction.

Dave Campbell
Retired Science Teacher and Active Pen Addict
Every day is a chance to reduce my level of ignorance.

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

Interesting...today they posted a "blueprint" of their new pen scheduled for March release - and includes a dollar pen schematic for comparison. No lever shown, of course - doubt they'd ever do a lever - but this one will be interesting to watch!

Those Bexley pens look really nice but of my price range for a casual everyday fun pen.

I think the Levenger True Writers get most of the Esterbrook comparison because you can get one for under $100. Would like to try one out at some point.

I have one and it is a very enjoyable pen to use; very good nib and I am able to write quickly and well on a moleskin notebook (with so-so paper) and there are no issues.

The use of “your” grated on me too.

From his facebook page:

“Let's here from all Esterbrook fans what original Esterbrook colors they would like to see in this collection.

He is trying to raise $ on Kickstarter.com. Anyone want to donate?

Let’s HERE from all y’all.

Does anyone want the movie rights?

Well,

This Rosenberg fellow has taken douchebaggery to an entirely new level. I saw on The Face Book that after he had been called out for misappropriating images from Brian Anderson and other places, he went on to do it from Richard Binder and others! My word, I don't know whether it is clueless or callous behavior, but certainly no way for a proper business to behave.

Yikes.

Sincerely you'res,

Tippi

Edited by JonSzanto

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

The use of “your” grated on me too.

From his facebook page:

“Let's here from all Esterbrook fans what original Esterbrook colors they would like to see in this collection.”

He is trying to raise $ on Kickstarter.com. Anyone want to donate?

Let’s HERE from all y’all.

Does anyone want the movie rights?

I've been reading the last couple of pages of posts out loud to my husband, including the exchange between Chad and that Rosenberg guy. He was surprised that I wasn't jumping in on the "your" vs. "you're" as well, because it *was* so grating.

Do I want to donate to his Kickstarter? Hell no. As for movie rights, instead *I* want the rights to run the concession stand! Because this thread is in serious need of some popcorn right about now....

Oh, and on the business of the pilfered and posted photos, my husband said that was possibly grounds for legal action against Mr. R -- we're both going on the assumption that the photos were copyrighted material. For which we will now sing a rousing chorus of "But Honestly Monica" -- look it up on the Internet if you're curious about the case (the real Monica is a personal friend).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I've been reading the last couple of pages of posts out loud to my husband, including the exchange between Chad and that Rosenberg guy. He was surprised that I wasn't jumping in on the "your" vs. "you're" as well, because it *was* so grating.

Do I want to donate to his Kickstarter? Hell no. As for movie rights, instead *I* want the rights to run the concession stand! Because this thread is in serious need of some popcorn right about now....

Oh, and on the business of the pilfered and posted photos, my husband said that was possibly grounds for legal action against Mr. R -- we're both going on the assumption that the photos were copyrighted material. For which we will now sing a rousing chorus of "But Honestly Monica" -- look it up on the Internet if you're curious about the case (the real Monica is a personal friend).

no no no no no.

Jelly beans. :)

Well, I looked the company up on FB and that got me to their website. I sent Mr. R a note suggesting that he might *also* want to look up the "But Honestly Monica" issue. Because copyrighted infringement is a violation of the Berne Convention (which is internationally recognized).

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."