Inky T O D - Holiday Cards - What Ink Will You Use This Year?

amberleadavis

Thanks for starting this thread...just what I wanted to follow.

I just today got my three Christmas inks in:

Reds: Hematite Rouge & Red Dragon

Green: Green Marine

Stock: Strathmore white 80 lb cardstock w emerald deckle edge.

Pens: Lamy AL Star 1.9 mm Italic nib for cursive Merry Christmas using the Hematite Rouge on the card front...Lamy Safari 1.1 mm Italic nib for personal notes inside card using Red Dragon...Pilot 78G with 1.1 stub nib and Green Marine for addressing envelopes.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• stonezebra

• Fabienne

• DaveBj

I did my Halloween mail with J. Herbin Lie de The (on orange paper!), and I'll probably do my Christmas mail in Diamine Poppy.
And I might do something for the Winter Solstice in Private Reserve Tanzanite.

• 1 month later...

update, this is what I used:

Red and Green

red = Sheaffer Skrip Red, Parker 45, F nib

green = Diamine Ultra Green, Skyline, FM nib

I did not use the 1.1 nib nor my dip pens as I had planned, just my ball tip pens.

The envelope got me. I had to use a gel pen, the FP ink would not penetrate the surface of the envelope.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

• 11 months later...

So, have any of you sent off your cards yet?

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Not yet, too early for me. Have chosen the cards - Charley Hooper 's'Cardinal'. Will likely go with DeA Poppy Red and KWZI Green Gold or Old Gold. Have cut my list down from last year, maybe I'll be inspired to write more in each card that way.

I priced cards and was appalled.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

I will be sending one Christmas card this year, just like last year and the 30 years before that. I will probably use my Twsbi mini 1.5 mm stub, and use a combination of Montblanc Irish Green and Diamine Syrah.

The good news is that a box of Christmas card lasts me 50 years.

I haven't sent any yet, as I'm still waiting for them to arrive. I've asked if they're fountain-pen-friendly, but alas, the folks making the cards didn't have any fountain pens to test with -- so I'll be providing them with that information. We've been pretty bad at getting cards out most years, but these? I'm looking forward to sending these. Especially if I can jot a quick note in them with my Lamy Safari 1.1mm stub loaded up with Emerald of Chivor.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1464564021/cthulhu-christmas-greeting-cards

When my wife saw these, she asked what I was planning to send family members. "These." I assured her. "What do they say in them?" she asked. "They're blank," I informed her, "but I'm planning to write 'Blessings of the season.'"

She considered me in silence for a few moments. "Well," she admitted, "this is what it said on the package."

I bought Diamine Sparlking Forest from Vanness Pens at the Ohio show last weekend. I am hoping to use it for my cards, but I haven't put it in any of my pens yet. I usually do a red, like 1670, and a green, alternating card and envelope. But I need to choose a pen that will handle that sparkly ink first.

Sharon in indiana

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." Earnest Hemingway

I have three inks in mind: Sailor Epinard, Diamine Red Dragon and Herbin Rouge Hematite. Need to find some good cards too, which can accept ink..

This year's Yule Card equipment. The first one goes to my pen pal in Canada within the next few weeks.

fpn_1448177951__p1010475.jpg

Edited by Noihvo

"We are one."

– G'Kar, The Declaration of Principles

Very nice.

Based on past FPN threads to similar effect, I chose to try Shaeffer Skrip Red for our family Christmas letters this year.

Rouge Hematite in a TWSBI of some kind. I normally make mine, the best ones were woodcuts of the Ship of Fools by Albrecht Durer. Everyone loved them.

It's for Yew!bastardchildlil.jpg

Too early for me as well; I'll pro'ly get started on it next week. This year I think I'm going to go with the various red, green, and blue Shimmers, using my glass dipper.

Until you ink a pen, it is merely a pretty stick. --UK Mike

My arsenal, in order of acquisition: Sailor 21 Pocket Pen M, Cross Solo M, Online Calligraphy, Monteverde Invincia F, Hero 359 M, Jinhao X450 M, Levenger True Writer M, Jinhao 159 M, Platinum Balance F, TWSBI Classic 1.1 stub, Platinum Preppy 0.3 F, 7 Pilot Varsity M disposables refillables, Speedball penholder, TWSBI 580 USA EF, Pilot MR, Noodler's Ahab 1.1 stub, another Preppy 0.3, Preppy EF 0.2, ASA Sniper F, Click Majestic F, Kaweco Sport M, Pilot Prera F, Baoer 79 M (fake Starwalker), Hero 616 M (fake Parker), Jinhao X750 Shimmering Sands M . . .

31 and counting :D

DaveBj

Seeing as this is my first year using a fountain pen I was thinking about breaking the usual Red/Green tradition slightly and going for a Purple/Green combination - probably Diamine Damson and Diamine Sherwood Green :)

Currently In Use :
Pilot Custom Heritage 91 (SFM) Diamine Wild Strawberry

TWSBI Diamond 580 (F) - Diamine Blue Velvet

Italix Parson's Essentials (F) - Diamine Tropical Green

LAMY Safari (F) - Noodler's Black