The 3 Most Intense Blue Inks (Other Than Bay State Blue)

Fabienne

I really like this! What am I looking at?

Sorry if a double post appears, I thought I submitted this earlier but I do not see the post.

Part of the classical artist limited edition ink by sailor for nagasawa pen shop [gogh cobalt] but I like to use van gogh cobalt (along with Monet purple as the 2 new inks added), veneer blue and renoir pink is still available despite being LE call it NOS if you will

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• HalloweenHJB

• jmccarty3

• Algester

That picture is wonderful. Can you provide identifying detail please?

Interesting topic - I'm on the lookout for an intense blue available in UK. Will follow eagerly.

Edit - just missed answer while posting this!

Edited by Cushy Butterfield

Well, I would have to say the three would have to come from KWZI because his blues are retinal searing...well, not all of his blues, but several.

post-97570-0-33614100-1406169325.jpg

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Of the sapphire inks out there, I find Edelstein to be more substantial than Diamine or J. Herbin, although all three are very nice inks. I use all of them quite a bit.

I have to respectfully disagree regarding Diamine Sapphire versus Edelstein .... I had both and gave the Edelstein away because I thought it looked 'washed-out'.

Diamine SB is probably my favourite bright blue ... of those I've tried.

I seem to recall liking Herbin Myosotis, too.

If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; But if you really make them think, they'll hate you.

Don Marquis

US humorist (1878 - 1937)

Note that Hyacinth is De Atramentis blue with scent added, so you can get the color without the scent.

Which particular DA blue, "Royal Blue"? I don't see one that's just named "Blue" with nothing else.

I know my id is "mhosea", but you can call me Mike. It's an old Unix thing.

Bungbox Sapphire (given Penman Sapphire's blue rep),Sailor Souten, Sailor Kon-Peki

+1 for Bung Box Sapphire; I've only been using it for a couple of days but I'm in love with this ink!

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f99/emrys1221/Sapphire_zps6e644b6c.jpg?t=1413837527

Here are a few comparisons....

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/Tests/Fade/2013/slides/2013-FADE_007.jpg

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/Tests/Fade/2013/slides/2013-FADE_122.jpg

And just so you know, Midway Blue looks different on regular paper.

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/Tests/Fade/2013/slides/2013-FADE_126.jpg

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/Tests/Fade/2013/slides/2013-FADE_018.jpg

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/Tests/Fade/2013/slides/2013-FADE_008.jpg

R&K blue mere

Noodler's Midway

I second Midway - it's the closest I've found after many samples to the vibrant "Grabber Blue" of classic Ford Mustang cars.

I just tried Bleu Mare - Great ink! and Midway is one of my highly recomended inks.

Diamine Sapphire Blue is one my favorites. One thing I like about it is that the colour remain intense even on tinted paper, it surpasses Parker Penman Shappire in this aspect.

Aldo

Edited by Ordald

Van Gogh Cobalt?!

http://i.imgur.com/Frg4NQt.jpg

Doesn't look like Cobalt Blue to me, more like Asa Gao, except the washes of the ink above are cyan while Asa Gao retains its hue even diluted.

fpn_1413862779__cobalt1.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Well, just in case you were perishing to find out what i had concluded, given my pens and papers used every day, I found that in my world NOODLER'S BLUE was the most intense blue! I was pretty astounded. It's not talked about ad nauseum, it isn't rushed after or compared to Penman Sapphire nor are there any cures for any modern maladies claimed for it, it's just a highly attractive, slightly light, slightly shading, very intense blue. I was attracted to DC Electric Blue BUT that was so dark that you could not get that strong showy blue out of it. I am also thinking that Noodler's American Eel is a contender as well, and I have that one.

Thanks to everyone who made suggestions. I have found my substitute for Sailor Sky High now, it's Noodler's Blue.

It's for Yew!bastardchildlil.jpg

I am also thinking that Noodler's American Eel is a contender as well, and I have that one.

Pretty sure the one is just the "Eel" version of the other. IME, they're the same color to the same extent that any two Noodler's bottles of the same ink tend to be the same. I seem to recall that Nathan cited some slight differences in saturation between Eel and non-Eel versions of the same ink, in addition to the lubricant additive, but I don't remember the details, unfortunately.

I like the color of Noodler's Blue. It has been said that one reason Noodler's Blue doesn't get more love is that it's named "Blue" instead of something evocative. I get more hard starts with it than with some of my other blue inks, and I sort of moved it to the back after it degraded a latex sac after 1 year of exposure in a controlled experiment. This could have been from some accidental exposure or contamination of the ink in the vial, so I started a repeat with more sample vials using ink from a different bottle. I will probably not have any results to report before July of 2015, unfortunately.

I know my id is "mhosea", but you can call me Mike. It's an old Unix thing.