Waterman Perspective Blue Obsession

columela

First Impressions (8,5/10)
This pen was the result of a visit to an excellent pen shop in Malaga, (Spain) M Gandoy. They have a very nice display of pens and are very knowledgeable about the subject. I was tempted by the strong blue colour, which is my favourite. Once I had it in my hand I was doomed to buy it. I had the opportunity to try it first and it was pleasant, so I fell for it.
This pen comes in a standard box of a very attractive blue colour that matches the pen , while the inside is covered in some sort of faux velvet. Under the pen display there is a space for the warranty and instructions, as well as for a waterman cartridge. The pen came without a converter, that I had to buy separately.

Appearance (8.5/10)
The sleek and modern lines of this pen were very attractive to me. The subtle geometric lines in the section and the nib are contemporary and austere. The cap has a very elegant lingot shaped clip and the blue lacquer is incredibly beautiful in the most intense blue, a perfect match to the blue colour of one of my favourite inks , waterman serenite blue. The top of the cap is black with a capital W marked on it, and the bottom is also black. It reminds me of the ST Dupont Fidelio line, and indeed the touch of the lacquer is similar.

Design/Size/Weight (8/10)
The pen is slightly heavy at 39,3 g. It measures 138 mm capped, 164 mm posted and 123 mm uncapped. Maximum diameter is 12 mm.
Regarding design, it has a very elegant combination of blue lacquer and metal chrome details at the top, the section and the bottom. The proportions of the cap and the body are harmonious. Something that I like of the pen is the good adjustment of the cap to the body so it can be posted very securely. However, the fact that some part of the bottom is still visible is not a nice touch. On the hand the pen is not too heavy but unfortunately it tends to get out of balance when posted as the cap is heaviest at the top where the clip is attached.

Nib (8/10)
This is a very good stainless steel nib, very responsive and with an excellent flow just out of the box. It does not tend to dry when left unattended for a while. It has no flexibility which suits well my kind of writing. My model is a F nib, but It is more of a medium to fine, as it is the case with most european pens. It has a very good feeling of quality to it. Aesthetically it is very pleasant, with simple lines matching the ones in the section of the pen.

Filling System (6/10)
Nothing exciting here. The pen comes with a cartridge , so I had to buy a waterman converter separately. It is adjusted securely and works fine.

Cost and Value (7/10)
The cost of the pen is very high (140 euros) for a pen without a gold nib and no other luxuries. It is well designed and built to a high standard and it has a personality of its own so that compensates for the lack of a converter on it, which a think it is quite mean from the manufacturer.

Conclusion (7.6/10)
This pen has a very cartesian, rationalistic air that I like. It is very French in that sense. The deep blue colour is also very attractive to me. On the other hand the cost of this pen is questionable given what you get from it. For this price I could have bought an Italian pen like the Montegrappa Espressione or the Visconti Van Gogh, that have a much bigger aesthetic appeal. Performance wise, it is an excellent pen so far. So I do not regret having bought it. In a more mundane sense it is a pen that oozes class and earnestness. I would find it very suitable to working environments to complement your image of a sharp,focused, clean cut, no nonsense professional. This might sound trivial , but to me one of the important factors about choosing a pen to use is the message that it sends around. Like other complements like your watch or your shoes, it can speak volumes about yourself. It has given me a good feeling about Waterman pens, as this is the first that I own.
post-6023-0-63037400-1411226240_thumb.jpgpost-6023-0-30151900-1411226263_thumb.jpgpost-6023-0-58258400-1411226281_thumb.jpgpost-6023-0-73007500-1411226333_thumb.jpgpost-6023-0-85768100-1411226380_thumb.jpg

post-6023-0-63013100-1411226443_thumb.jpg

“Waste no more time arguing about what a good man should be. Be one.”

Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

• 6 months later...
  • Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• columela

• doggonecarl

• sitnstew

• RyanM

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for the review. I love the look of Waterman pens and this has been tempting me for a while. Is the color in your pictures pretty true to life or is it more vibrant?

"The pen is mightier than the sword if the sword is very short, and the pen is very sharp." - Terry Pratchet

http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/1338/hxl1.jpg

Very beautiful. I do agree with you though that the price is a bit excessive for a pen with a steel nib and no converter. Otherwise, a very nice pen.

Not sure how you grip the pen, but could you comment on the section, please. Did the chrome make it too slick for a long writing session? And how about the steps? Did they bother you?