German Pen Brands?

Icywolfe

I there is: Kaweco, Pelikan, Montblanc, and Lamy. I'm wondering is there is any other German pen brand (I know FC is one,but I already think of them as a pencil brand.) I'm wondering this as in my collection of pens I really do not have a German pen. (I'm going for at least 1 pen of each place or area. But focus is Japan ) Okay I do have a Lamy but that left a bad taste in my mouth, so I'm not considering any more Lamy pens. (Sorry Lamy.) And for Kaweco I still can't love their shape. Montblanc...... umm how to say it...... too expensive and I need to sell my organs to get the lowest model. So I'm leaning towards a Pelikan. But I don't want to leave a awesome brand I never heard of behind. So same I missing any other German pen manufacturers?

Also what is Waterman. French or US? Same for Parker and Sheaffer.

#Nope

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fb1949

• Sergio 46

• Tadeusz

• Icywolfe

Waterman, Parker, and Sheaffer were all originally U.S. companies. L.E. Waterman was the original company, but then split into two- the original U.S. company and a french subsidiary. The U.S. bit went under, leaving the French subsidiary- Waterman S.A. remaining. At least that's how I understand it.

Thus, the modern Waterman company (the one that has "Waterman Paris" on the box) is French.

Parker and Sheaffer are still American owned (I think) but no longer produce pens in the U.S., unfortunately.

Also, if you can consider vintage, Geha, Soennecken, Garant, Osmia (<- Osmia was purchased by Faber Castell at some point), and multiple others I cannot remember.

Also, there is a great brand that makes modern piston fillers for an competitive price- Cleo Skribent.

The classic piston filler model is in the same range as an M200 and some of them even come with metal caps.

edit: I am not affiliated with any of the above companies.

Edited by Tadeusz

rOtring

GvFC

Staedtler

Schneider

Herlitz

Diplomat

Porsche Design

Wörther

Senator

And there's many vintage as well...

Geha

Reform

Merlin

A German brand of great prestige that has been re-edited in the last years is Astoria. Very expensive.

Edited by Ronchamp

Faber Castell Design range has unique love it / hate it kind of design but are of excellent build quality, great writers and are value for money. IMO should not be considered as a Pencil brand though pencils are their main stay.

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...

I bought recently a GvFC guilloché which is a very nice writer, but this brand is in the upper side of the expensive ones

• 1 year later...

You also can trust Melbi, Luxor, Reco, Merkurit, Orgea (beautiful very much like 134/136 Montblanc looking model, currently sold around 50 $) and the Danish Big Ben, The Tower, Oxford, Miller, Skribent, Regent, all very good quality for low money ! Isn't life wonderful ? :D :notworthy1: :thumbup:

Also top pens and very affordable, from 30ies to 50ies, Mercedes (nothing to do with the car maker) and Matador (nothing to do with corrida). Really all these makes above and here are top quality and very affordable. Few people know them. So keep looking on Ebay.de...

Cheers !

• 2 weeks later...

It's very interesting that Graf Von Faber Castell gets mentioned very little. I am under the impression that it was a high quality brand. Is it not the case?

• 4 weeks later...

GVFC is a high quality pen.....is mentioned often in fountain pen and dip pen section.

I prefer a non-nail nib, but they are of course smooth.

A bit too heavy for me. but solidly made. Some are very pretty.

I've tried a few and or at least tested the nail nib on my thumbnail.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

Ransom Bucket cost me many of my pictures taken by a poor camera that was finally tossed. Luckily, the Chicken Scratch pictures also vanished.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.