Sailor's Full Ink Lines Including Shop Exclusives Compiled In A Post?

Algester

Okay, I confess, I want to purchase some of those Sailor inks in some large quantities (yes, I'm talking about you Kobe #14 Maya Lapis and Kingdom Note Lidthi Jay) and I'm okay with paying less money for a boring bottle (yes, I'm talking about you Noodler's) because I can spend the extra money on perfume bottles to hold my ink.

http://www.zensoaps.com/sizedperfume/G-vickytiel.jpg

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Algester

• Tinjapan

• white_lotus

• Cyber6

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Okay, I confess, I want to purchase some of those Sailor inks in some large quantities (yes, I'm talking about you Kobe #14 Maya Lapis and Kingdom Note Lidthi Jay) and I'm okay with paying less money for a boring bottle (yes, I'm talking about you Noodler's) because I can spend the extra money on perfume bottles to hold my ink.

Have you ever seen the glass apothecary jars, consisting of 3 separate bottles, two of which serve as the "stopper" for the bottle beneath, with a stopper atop? They used to be in front windows of drug stores as advertisement that "prescription" drugs were obtainable. I just remembered them from my childhood & never really understood why they were there. They are at least a foot & half tall, or taller. You could have your own Apache Sunset decanter, or favorite "blues, etc.

"Just a thought" after you fill up ALL those cabinets!

I have seen them, they are beautiful.

I confess, I bought a bottle of Alien Tequila just for the bottle, I was going to fill it with Dragon Catfish Green until I realized that the alcohol was cheaper. I poured some out for other tasters and then added green food coloring.

So, I'd love to fill this with Miruai!

http://sheismylawyer.com/album/Cabinets/20151109_115234.jpg

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Rationalize it all you want. I used to get the jewel bottles of Bungbox, Kingdom Note, etc for $25 (or less!) per bottle, shipped from Japan.

I personally don't care about discontinued inks of any brand. It just is not interesting to me.

It's just ink. And there are numbers of different inks out there, a lot of them really good.

And there's a lot of excellent Noodler's inks for $12.50. I'll take their FPH exclusive Old Dutch Colony Sepia over any sepia, any day. And many other good brands, with excellent inks.

In the interest of full disclosure, about 1/3rd of my ink collection consists of Sailor inks from Japan. But I'm not chasing them anymore. Not at the prices being offered. Spend your money however you wish. You'll only be happy for a moment until the next "must have" ink appears.

See ya. I'm done and gone.

I wish someday I can be rational like you.

Actually when I see there is new Sailor release, I cannot control myself to stop buying them.

Maybe it has became my only hobby? haha :D

My desire for Japan exclusive inks has dwindled a bit, but, admittedly, it's because 40 some of the 100 bottles of ink that I have are Japan exclusives. Save for perhaps 3 or 4 bottles, I have what I want. Someone arriving late to the game will have a similar drive to acquire inks that I had when I began my descent into this hobby, but a harder time of it (unattainability, price increases, postal related issues and the like).

$7 or $40 a bottle, it's up to the individual's subjective discretion as to whether or not a bottle is worth its price. It's also largely dependent on what a fellow member has (in terms of ink) or doesn't have. However, it should be noted, most members who go after Japan exclusive inks are aware of and own other brands. :)

vanishsopie, we all need hobbies to keep us sane! :happy:

Ink, a drug.

― Vladimir Nabokov, Bend Sinister

Instagram:
a.transient.life

I always wanted to get into perfumes, but I've never gone beyond Chanel Cuir de Russie parfum. :/

Ink, a drug.

Instagram:
a.transient.life

I always wanted to get into perfumes, but I've never gone beyond Chanel Cuir de Russie parfum. :/

Ah, yes, now what ink would go in the Vicky Tiel bottle?

Me too, actually. With prices so high and the difficulty to obtain them so hard, I'm not as gung ho about this as I first was. I still give a few colours a shot occasionally, but I'm not buying up every colour of every line I can like I did when they were $25 USD a bottle and pretty easy to get if you knew where to look.

I'm grateful I bought so many to start with, because now instead of hunting out more colours, I'll just really enjoy the colours I have.

white_lotus's comment clearly contains much wisdom. As I have said before, for those for whom money is no object, chasing these inks is as good a pursuit as any, and better than most. But obviously, if price *is* relevant, then one begins to note more carefully that you can get a beautiful ink for $12 or thereabouts. These limited edition Sailor inks are wonderful, and I would love to have a desk full of them. But at these prices, I'm out, and I'm no economist, but I think I discern a very slight softening of the market. Who knows. (I want to try 4B, and about once a week I have my finger on the "Order" button, but so far I have not succumbed. Too many cheap BlBlk inks in the world.) I offer a thought experiment: If Yama-dori was suddenly very hard to acquire, and cost $50, would that make you/me more or less likely to want it? And would it make you/me think it was even more special than it already is? If, say, J. Herbin Ambre de Birmanie suddenly cost $45, would it look like the prettiest ink in the world? I splurged with some holiday money and got one bottle of Piano Mahogany and one bottle of First Love Sapphire. I do actually think the Piano Mahogany is an extraordinary ink. With the Sapphire, I am not convinced that it is all that *uniquely* remarkable, with the caveat that this is all subjective and I may just have bad taste! Very nice, yes, but there are a lot of similar attractive inks, for example, KWZI Azure #3, which I find rings about the same bell for me. And I would guess that KWZ inks are no more common that Sailor shop inks, although I don't really know that. In closing, let me emphasize that this is not a put-down at all. I'll be happy to acquire as many Sailor shop inks as anyone wishes to sell for $25. And a nice bottle would help motivate me, too, silly as that may be. I salute everyone who has managed to secure so many of these great inks.

My desire for Japan exclusive inks has dwindled a bit, but, admittedly, it's because 40 some of the 100 bottles of ink that I have are Japan exclusives. Save for perhaps 3 or 4 bottles, I have what I want. Someone arriving late to the game will have a similar drive to acquire inks that I had when I began my descent into this hobby, but a harder time of it (unattainability, price increases, postal related issues and the like).

$7 or $40 a bottle, it's up to the individual's subjective discretion as to whether or not a bottle is worth its price. It's also largely dependent on what a fellow member has (in terms of ink) or doesn't have. However, it should be noted, most members who go after Japan exclusive inks are aware of and own other brands. :)

vanishsopie, we all need hobbies to keep us sane! :happy:

I think there are some other REALLY JAPAN EXCLUSIVES inks.

I knew you can actually create some special inks on the ink event, and each special ink set up with its own serial number.

But currently we cannot order online anymore due to high volume of the orders from oversea customers.

[...]

I offer a thought experiment: If Yama-dori was suddenly very hard to acquire, and cost $50, would that make you/me more or less likely to want it?

This thought experiment is indeed reality. The current Sailor Four Seasons line replaced a previous version--mention Apricot, Epinard, Grenade, Sky High and the like and many FPN members begin to salivate. These inks use to cost something nominal, now they fetch between $50 and $80+ each. This also consistently occurs with Montblanc Limited Edition Inks which, in the states, cost $16 at initial release and sky rockets thereafter stock has been depleted. It's an old story, but it is interesting.

[...]

I splurged with some holiday money and got one bottle of Piano Mahogany and one bottle of First Love Sapphire. I do actually think the Piano Mahogany is an extraordinary ink. With the Sapphire, I am not convinced that it is all that *uniquely* remarkable, with the caveat that this is all subjective and I may just have bad taste! Very nice, yes, but there are a lot of similar attractive inks, for example, KWZI Azure #3, which I find rings about the same bell for me. And I would guess that KWZ inks are no more common that Sailor shop inks, although I don't really know that. In closing, let me emphasize that this is not a put-down at all. I'll be happy to acquire as many Sailor shop inks as anyone wishes to sell for $25. And a nice bottle would help motivate me, too, silly as that may be. I salute everyone who has managed to secure so many of these great inks.

I'd say you have a fine taste in inks. Bung Box Piano Mahogany is one of the more underrated inks of that line. Bung Box Sapphire isn't my style, but it's certainly stunning. I've had co-workers back track to my desk to take in the shocking blue ink from my notes, as I write.

I love KWZ Inks for being problem free, it's large range of colors, its value and for its amazing shading qualities, but I find the consistency to be wetter than the average Sailor ink and less lubricating. This should not imply that KWZI is less of an ink line than Sailor because it is a spectacular line (I have 6 bottles of my own). It's only that, for me, KWZI doesn't have 100% of what I'm looking for in an ink, but again, it's a matter of personal preference, nothing more. Still, I intent to buy two more bottles next month--my montly ink quota has been filled :P!

I'm amazed by some members abilities to procure impossible or hard to find inks {looks at migo} and certainly admire their efforts to obtain bottles of inks, which, to many, during a quite hour to themselves, are like little bottles of happiness. :happycloud9:

Ink, a drug.

Instagram:
a.transient.life

Thanks for those comments, haruka. I share that fascination about how people get some of these inks. I don't know how to find them, even if the price does not matter.

I offer a thought experiment: If Yama-dori was suddenly very hard to acquire, and cost $50, would that make you/me more or less likely to want it? And would it make you/me think it was even more special than it already is?

This is more a lesson in history than a thought experiment. Yama-dori was $50/bottle (when you could find it at all) back in 2013, just before Sailor re-released it. I find it even prettier at the lower price.

Another thought experiment, perhaps: If you had a chance to stock up on Your Very Favorite Ink™ just as it was discontinued, how many bottles would you buy to ensure a lifetime supply? Would that number change if it were a popular ink?

This is more a lesson in history than a thought experiment. Yama-dori was $50/bottle (when you could find it at all) back in 2013, just before Sailor re-released it. I find it even prettier at the lower price.

Another thought experiment, perhaps: If you had a chance to stock up on Your Very Favorite Ink™ just as it was discontinued, how many bottles would you buy to ensure a lifetime supply? Would that number change if it were a popular ink?

I would say the bolded part represents the triumph of aesthetic judgment over herd mentality! I should follow the example.

With regard to the interesting question in the second paragraph, I have the advantage of not really having a single favorite ink. I keep finding "new favorites," so I have pretty much developed a confidence that there will always be something very appealing coming around the corner.

Edited by Pensei

My Very Favorite Ink™ is currently a BungBox Exclusive ink, Namely Bungbox Imperial Purple. I ended up getting myself 3 bottles when I could at the time and I already used one bottle. Next time I see it for sale (hopefully it comes back for sale soon), I will buy at least 5 more bottles as I want the peace of mind that I will always have this ink. Even if it was a popular ink, I would stock up. Being at 2 bottles right now makes me nervous even lol.

Those who hurt me were not only someone else,

but also those who pretended not to notice. It was my friend.

I have two advantages here:

1) I'm an eclectic ink user & don't have one favourite - although I'd get a bit twitchy if I thought Tokiwa-matsu was being discontinued.

2) I'm getting old, so if I did have a favourite I wouldn't need many bottles to ensure a lifetime supply :-)

Verba volant, scripta manent

I am pigment-polyamorous and a dye-dabbler. I have favorites but I recognize that they are all replaceable.

Even still, I am well-stocked on Epinard, because I like the power to not have to choose a replacement. Later I then found that El Lawrence seemed even better at most things for which I had used Epinard.

But at times, the spinach calls to me. I am so glad it survives. Visconti Blue (decanted into a Caran d'Ache Chromatics bottle because, let us be real here, they are desk art) and, to a lesser extent, Montblanc Midnight Blue (105194!) are the same way, though I do not stock up on Visconti Blue as I maintain faith that it will change less than I do over time.

In conclusion, a lifetime supply of any given color for me may be about 25mL. But having 200mL on the shelf lends me the freedom to use any of them - or perhaps to barter for one I later find I miss.