Sailor's Full Ink Lines Including Shop Exclusives Compiled In A Post?

Algester

I wish both of you goodluck. I hope you can come to Japan soon, if not for honeymoon, then as a leisure trip.

I mentioned that I have a house in Kyoto, so just too lucky. :)

He's worried about size, BF is 6'2" with really big shoulders. He's afraid he'd be crowded everywhere. I should take him to Seoul to see crowds (never been to Tokyo so I don't know).

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Algester

• Tinjapan

• white_lotus

• Cyber6

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

OoOoOoOh! Be my friend. :happy:

I have a dear friend in Nagoya and a cousin in Tokyo. They keep insisting I visit, but the stars have yet to align. Still, I'm hoping for a family trip next year (some matters will be settled in January)--I hear the fly fishing in some parts of Japan is world-class! And, uh, of course inks and pens are secondary (that's what I tell the boys and their dad :P) .

Of course you are going to Japan to let the boys flyfish!

Meanwhile, I just have to ask, is that your kitty in your avatar? I see that it keeps changing and I'm thinking you have a very photogenic (and patient) cat.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

OoOoOoOh! Be my friend. :happy:

I have a dear friend in Nagoya and a cousin in Tokyo. They keep insisting I visit, but the stars have yet to align. Still, I'm hoping for a family trip next year (some matters will be settled in January)--I hear the fly fishing in some parts of Japan is world-class! And, uh, of course inks and pens are secondary (that's what I tell the boys and their dad :P) .

I apologize again for the late reply.

I have never tried fly-fishing but you can keep your family occupied with it while you hound the stores for pens & inks. :)

He's worried about size, BF is 6'2" with really big shoulders. He's afraid he'd be crowded everywhere. I should take him to Seoul to see crowds (never been to Tokyo so I don't know).

I don't think that should be a problem. Kyoto is crowded sometimes (less) but i'm sure you can manage without bumping into people. :)

I do agree that westerners tend to be a bit taller than us, i find myself a bit short at 5'11" (sometimes) when i visit UK and USA.

I apologize to everyone else for taking this thread off from it's original and intended topic.

Edited by Mew

Please pardon me for asking something about which was meant for some other member, what do you mean by long eyed Namiki vermillion Emperor? I have ordered a Namiki Emperor Vermillion from Tokyo Shop which i will personally pick from them instead of getting it delivered to some other part of the world when i go to Tokyo in January. So long eyed term intrigued me. Is it different from a normal namiki vermillion emperor?

As for Nakaya, I did not know that they did custom maki-e work too. I hope that pen turned out great and stays with you for lifetime as a beautiful reminder of your late dog.

Yes, I would really love to own a Hakase. But as I said earlier, I would prefer to place the order in person. My spoken Japanese is fairly decent and I think I would be able to communicate with Yamamoto-San a whole lot better in person than I ever can over emails. The top to bottom customization that you mentioned would be fully utilized if place the order in person, at least I think that way. Ohashido is really difficult to get hold of, unless you go to that specific city where he works, the name of which escapes me.

Kobe is a very nice place to visit, and since your grandfather had some history with the place, I understand you love for Japan.

I would visit Tokyo in my next trip to collect emperor, and Nagoya in February to pick up some more sailor inks from sankodo.

I have a house in Kyoto where I leave all my inks and carry only 3-4 with me for the rest 3 weeks until I get back to Kyoto because I come to Japan for a week every month.

But I stay in other countries more than I stay in Japan, so sadly it turns into more of a business trip because whenever I come back, I'm more busy than when I am not in the country.

I simply meant that I had long eyed the vermillion (as in: I desperately wanted one). Now that it is mine, I am simply trying to find a way to practically carry it; it is a very very very large pen.

Below is a photo from my custom Nakaya portable. You can find more (and a review, in so much as one is useful) here...

[i write this from Kyoto; Osaka tomorrow.]

15231721861_5cc5c507be_b.jpg

Edited by mongrelnomad

Too many pens; too little writing.

Just got a message from Bungbox saying they will re-open their Amazon US market place by end of January 2016, and that they refer all non-Japanese customers there.

They also say that colour variations and supply quantities will increase by then.

YNWA - JFT97

Instagram: inkyandy

Just got a message from Bungbox saying they will re-open their Amazon US market place by end of January 2016, and that they refer all non-Japanese customers there.

They also say that colour variations and supply quantities will increase by then.

Well I remember their original Amazon shop and it was the most expensive way to buy Bungbox inks.

Does this mean they're dropping Vanness as a US supplier of their inks?

I'll have to see what kind of prices are offered there before making a decision, and compare with using a forwarder. Because I'm not someone just buying one ink.

I have another question related to Bungbox. They have some custom pens on their site, are these Sailor pens? The one I was giving a little bit of thought about was The Witch

http://bung-box.com/user_data/the_witch.php

Does anyone here know about the custom pens? Sorry to divert from talking about ink.

I believe they are Sailor pens. In one of the pics you can see the nib has 1911 and the Sailor logo on it. They are also available in Z (zoom) nib, which is from Sailor.

@White Lotus

In the past they have had Custom pens from Sailor and Pilot (and some Euro makers too!). I do not know who makes all of their current offerings. I will check tomorrow and let you know.

If you do not get a response, reminded me. I have a lot on my mind.

T

[...]

Meanwhile, I just have to ask, is that your kitty in your avatar?

[...]

Alas, no. The cat that appears in my Avatars is Snoopy and resides in China. Well known for enjoying baths, tolerating hats and sporting swanky outfits, this cool cat has been charming the internet for a few years.

My cat, though lovely, has no sense of humor. She'd run her claws "down the street" of my arm if I ever dared to immortalized her during an undignified moment. No, this cat charges at me if I try to photograph her. So, I've been reduced to sneaky, gorilla tactics. Though, occasionally, she does allows for a candid moment.

Ink, a drug.

― Vladimir Nabokov, Bend Sinister

Instagram:
a.transient.life

of the big 3 in Japan, Sailor is the most active in making custom number of pens and a lot of shops get them from time to time

KN sometimes gets some SE pens from Omas (Dama Ogiva Arco?), Delta, Pilot and Sailor

Bungbox gets also from Delta, Pilot and Sailor

Pen-house also gets from Sailor

Usagiya also from Sailor

Pen lounge-lr gets from Platinum and Sailor

Joyful honda does seem at least on a frequent basis get from Sailor

Sideriver (Publisher for Shuumi Bungu no Hako) also gets from Sailor

Maruzen gets from Sailor, Nakaya, Pilot, Ohashido

Nagasawa gets from Platinum, Sailor and Pilot

Takashimaya also gets from Sailor

Mitsukoshi once had Pilot and Sailor

if someone says that Sailor is the smallest I would say no heck they have the most diverse pen line of the big 3

[...]

Does this mean they're dropping Vanness as a US supplier of their inks?

[...]

I doubt it. They worked with Vanness while their Amazon store was open. I think the Amazon store, though available to the US (when opened) is primarily for other countries. Also, Vanness still has a number of shipments to be receive from Bungbox. As before, things are still trickling in.

For a short while, Vanness priced the inks at $43, but has dropped it to $40 for some weeks now.

Ink, a drug.

Instagram:
a.transient.life

But I notice the photo on their Facebook notice was squat bottles.

I'm appreciating the jar bottles more these days as I find that the cap on the jewel bottles glues itself to the extreme with a bit of dried ink. Even my efforts to wipe off residual ink from the threads and inner cap is only a minor deterrent. I'm considering applying a small amount of silicone grease to the bottle threads--I do not have this problem with any other ink bottle.

I've had spillage from the force it takes to open some of the diamond bottles and I've had to develop annoying techniques to get the more stubborn bottles open. I've even dropped a bottle while struggling to open it.

For a while, I thought it was just me, but other members I've spoken to, written to or have sold bottles to have experienced the same. Perhaps people tolerate it as I have? Maybe it's a climate specific issue? Could this all be a striking coincidence? I dunno, but it's beginning to bother the *bleep* out of me.

I don't have large nibbed pens, so I care nothing of the squatness of the jar style bottles (I primarily use an industrial syringe to fill my pens). When my favorite Bungbox colors come out in the "new" bottle, I'll look to trade what I have for the jar versions. However, a few of my diamond bottled inks (3 or 4), I've, for the most part, have repurchased in jar form since I've used too much ink from it to trade or sell.

Ah well, can't make everyone happy. :/

Ink, a drug.

Instagram:
a.transient.life

I've noticed the difficulty of re-opening on the jewel bottles. I usually hold them firmly at the bottom on a solid, flat surface, and work the cap off wearing rubber gloves (for their grip).

Maybe use a damp paper towel or tissue to wipe the threads as that should clean them more thoroughly?

ps Yes I noticed the slight decrease at Vanness to $40/bottle. The current price at Bungbox is 3240 yen ($27). I understand Vanness needs to cover the cost of the shipping from Japan and the reshipping within the US, and make a few bucks in the process, but assuming Bungbox doesn't sell out immediately on their next refill from Sailor maybe direct ordering through a forwarder might be more reasonable.

Edited by white_lotus

Given the vast majority of my pens have 1 inch nibs, bottle height is a big deal for me. I'm not having lid problems, but I'm in Florida and they live in a kitchen cabinet for frequent refilling ease. I only have a few and I go through ink at a rate of knots, so they may not have a chance to stick.

FYI Bungbox posted on Instragram that their brick and mortar store is closed 12/28-1/6. They did say that "Customers can still process transaction through our online store, however, shipping and email responses will be on hold during the above time period and will resume on or after Jan 7, 2016."

Just in case anyone in Japan fancied heading to BB and getting a sad trip result.

I simply meant that I had long eyed the vermillion (as in: I desperately wanted one). Now that it is mine, I am simply trying to find a way to practically carry it; it is a very very very large pen.

Below is a photo from my custom Nakaya portable. You can find more (and a review, in so much as one is useful) here...

[i write this from Kyoto; Osaka tomorrow.]

15231721861_5cc5c507be_b.jpg

I apologize for the late reply.

I see, it definitely is a very big pen. I had the opportunity of trying a Nakaya cigar which is of the same length as Emperor, albeit emperor has a bigger nib and girth. But Cigar was quite comfortable for me, so hopefully emperor would be okay too. I apologize for the misunderstanding.

That's a very beautiful pen, maki-e work is exquisite. Fitting pen as a reminder of your dog.

I prefer Namiki for Maki-e pens, and my personal favourite is 95th Anniversary Nobori-ryu, it's price is the only thing which i don't quite like.

I hope you enjoyed staying in Kyoto. I am currently not in Japan, otherwise i would have definitely invited you over for some tea, if you had the time.

If you are still in Osaka, you can pick up some Tomoe River paper from the Rakuten seller who sells 4000 sheets for 9200 yen. He is based out of Osaka. Although it will be difficult to carry so much paper back home without incurring any extra charges for exceeding maximum luggage weight.