What is the UGLIEST pen ever produced ?

goodguy

waterman serenité

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dan Carmell

• maryannemoll

• raffor

• Silvermink

QUOTE (Ray @ Mar 10 2007, 01:37 PM)
The Parker 45. Just plain aesthetically wrong for me.

Ray

I can feel Ray's pain about the 45, although I don't know if it's the ugliest ever. I recognize it's done sterling service over the years, but it just feels wrong in the hand to me. And wrong in the hands of others, in fact: I've tried to give mine away several times, but always have it returned.

The Rotring Core, on the other hand, is a nice looking pen in the Black, if you ask me. It's got that funky techno thing going on.

Regards,

Eric.

The flowers celebrated their sweetness

With just our noses

(ericthered junior)

As I said in another post beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

On the odd occasions I buy Pen World I often wonder about some ugly but obviously very expensive special editions for sale often encrusted in diamonds, gold etc and wonder who actually buys them.

They often look difficult to write with/hold, but I suppose that is secondary to the 'look what I've got' statement they make. Somebody must buy them as I assume they wouldn't make them otherwise, no specific make/model in mind but I assume most of you have seen the sort of thing I mean.

I prefer my pens to look like pens rather than expensive (and often ugly) pieces of jewellery which serve to show how much money I have to spend, rather than something that looks nice and is also a functional tool.

Having said that, if that's what people want who am I to criticise their taste (I'd probably get quite grumpy if they criticised mine).

QUOTE (georges zaslavsky @ Mar 10 2007, 09:30 PM)
waterman serenité

ohmy.gif Are you serious you think the waterman serenité is ugly ?

I think its a beautiful pen.

Oh well different strokes to different folks.

Respect to all

QUOTE (jd50ae @ Mar 10 2007, 11:47 AM)
QUOTE (bluemax @ Mar 10 2007, 01:54 AM)
I always thought that any pen by Michel Audiard is pretty sinful  wink.gif

Not only can they be bad for the eyes, but how can you write with them?  blink.gif

Amen.

Why would anyone make a FP look like them. Who would use them?

Agreed 100%. He's got THE ugliest pens I've ever seen.

In mass production pens arena, the Rotring Core wins hands down

QUOTE (Elaine @ Mar 10 2007, 01:29 PM)
QUOTE (James P @ Mar 10 2007, 08:06 AM)
Yuck!  This looks like a torture device, not a pen.

See, now I think beauty is truly in the eyes of the beholder. Every time someone starts an ugliest pen thread, this pen comes up. I love that pen. I saw it in person, held it in my hand. Thought it was sublime.

Edit: How can you not love the nib peeking out of the porthole? wub.gif

I have to agree with you Elaine. While I've never seen it up close, I still think it's a petty cool looking pen. Must be a major PITA to assemble though.

QUOTE (Jared)
I'd have to say much of Krone's historically themed product line, especially such outrageous monstrosities as the Melville and the Einstein.

Good grief! The Melville is hideous, and the Einstein is bloody well insulting. The metallic chartreuse thing on their splash page isn't terribly attractive, either. I'm afraid to examine their other works too closely. blink.gif

Most special edition pens I've seen range from the pointlessly gaudy to the outright hideous.

I voted for a regular production pen I thought was ugly, the Core. But now that I have seen the Jean-Pierre Lépine ballpen, I have to reconsider. This BP is neither fun nor funny. Yes, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I cannot dispute that. But a total lack of common sense is something else.

When I look at the Graphyscathe, in fact every time I look at it, I just want to howl with laughter. I think it is so ugly it's cool, so I can't vote against it. I have to admit I don't know Michel Audiard. I am going to Google him when I am done here.

QUOTE (goodguy @ Mar 10 2007, 10:19 PM)
QUOTE (georges zaslavsky @ Mar 10 2007, 09:30 PM)
waterman serenité

ohmy.gif Are you serious you think the waterman serenité is ugly ?

I think its a beautiful pen.

Oh well different strokes to different folks.

Yes I do for these reasons:

-the barrel looks like too much of a katana holster something not really in the waterman tradition

-the nib is ugly and very unoriginal

-it is an unergonomic pen

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

QUOTE (dcarmell @ Mar 10 2007, 06:20 PM)
...is another man's ink?

Ah, but have you written with one, Ray? A great writer and it came with many nib sizes--not as many as the 75 or even the modern Duofold, but a large, as yet not-completely catalogued variety. There's a reason it lasted 40 plus years!

Not really tryiing to convert you, just pleading for a favorite pen.

Dan

Yes, I've used a few, vintage and modern, and they write well enough, but that wasn't the question, was it?

Ray

A pen that costs $5000 is appealing to a different market than a $20 pen. If a $5000 pen has a controversial look, thats art, a $20 pen is just ugly laugh.gif

With that in mind I have to say I find the Rotring Core pretty awful to look at. Uncapped it might be passable, but once capped... eyyyaaah. It's more 'eyaaah' than I can describe. And this from Rotring?! The same company that makes the Inital and Newton? /sigh

ONE CAN ARGUE ABOUT THE UGLINESS OF FORM FOREVER.

TRUE UGLINESS IS THE PERVERSION OF SOMETHING CREATIVE TO THE LIKES OF THIS-

http://airbornecombatengineer.typepad.com/photos/weapons_fireams/americanderringerpenpistol.jpg

QUOTE (mirror @ Mar 11 2007, 09:10 AM)
ONE CAN ARGUE ABOUT THE UGLINESS OF FORM FOREVER.

TRUE UGLINESS IS THE PERVERSION OF SOMETHING CREATIVE TO THE LIKES OF THIS-

http://airbornecombatengineer.typepad.com/photos/weapons_fireams/americanderringerpenpistol.jpg

True! It's beyond ugly!

hi,

the waterman taperite. ugly

Do not wait to strike till the iron is hot; but make it hot by striking- william butler yeats
Unless you are educated in metaphor, you are not safe to be let loose in the world. robert frost

Oh, Aunt Rebecca-- I love the Taperite!

And Ray, thanks for this:

" Yes, I've used a few, vintage and modern, and they write well enough..."

Maybe not the original question, but any concession will satisfy me!

And the Parker 25, while odd and ungainly, is a great sturdy writer.

Everyone's picky on my favorite pens! (boo-hoo)

Dan