• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tancred

• jebib

• blINK

• MrThoth

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Used to be (mostly) the case. But several years back, they shut down manufacturing in Lincoln and moved it to China.

Do you happen to know if the nibs are still made in Germany for the top of the line Cross pens?

Do you happen to know if the nibs are still made in Germany for the top of the line Cross pens?

This I have no idea about. Apologies for not being able to help.

Chris

Carpe Stylum!

Actually, some of the top-nibs were not made in Germany (Japan, Pilot/Namiki,) for the gold Verves. Fabulous nibs.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

The Peerless appears to have a nib made by Sailor, the Japanese pen company. The clue is that a 'zoom' nib is offered as an option and I believe only Sailor offers such nibs.

Sailor nibs are well known for being ultra smooth.

Actually, some of the top-nibs were not made in Germany (Japan, Pilot/Namiki,) for the gold Verves. Fabulous nibs.

D.ick

The Verve had an excellent nib by Pilot, but unfortunately the pen itself didn't have the best build quality and the clip was a total disaster.

Edited by Tancred

The Solo/Radiance line also had Japan Pilot/Namiki nibs. They were exceptional values. First assembled in the US, then Japan. They were Smooth reliable writers with good startup and flow. I just couldn't get used to the light weight plastic feel though. Gave lots as gifts, and have more to give the grandchildren as good starter fountain pens.

Edited by Raymond3

• 4 weeks later...

That's a handsome looking pen! And is that a twist on cap? Available zoom nib? I'm getting excited!

Looking forward to getting my hands on a Peerless and any other new lines coming out as my tray of Cross pens were getting lonely.

I purchased a ballpoint (yea, I know) and it is HUGE! I don't have small hands but is almost a distraction when I write with it. As far as the fit and finish it is OUTSTANDING! I'm curious what the section on the fountain pen is like because if it is similar in size it will be a real handful. Beautiful handful none the less.

• 2 weeks later...

i'm confused, as the Townsend gold is going for $750' and the Peerless $550.

Still, an exciting move from Cross, at last. I would expect it to sell very well outside US.

(Set the price high to low sort at top of page)

No Peerless nibs listed on the nib page, and my beloved two-tone nibs are still absent, except with the steel ring.

http://www.cross.com/writing-instruments/shop-all-writing-instruments/by-writing-type/fountain-pens.aspx

Edited by adamselene

Cheers,

“It’s better to light a candle than curse the darkness

Peerless not available yet over here.

That Townsend is doing 750 Euros here against dollars over there.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

i'm confused, as the Townsend gold is going for $750' and the Peerless $550.

Still, an exciting move from Cross, at last. I would expect it to sell very well outside US.

(Set the price high to low sort at top of page)

No Peerless nibs listed on the nib page, and my beloved two-tone nibs are still absent, except with the steel ring.

http://www.cross.com/writing-instruments/shop-all-writing-instruments/by-writing-type/fountain-pens.aspx

The Townsend gold you mentioned is the limited edition one, hence the higher list price.

The Townsend gold you mentioned is the limited edition one, hence the higher list price.

Yup. There are some places online, including Fahrney's IIRC, selling it for as little as $450, though.

It's one of only a handful of Townsends I don't yet have in my collection, so I keep an eye out. ;)

MrThoth

Scribe, Master of Mystic Lore, Young Curmudgeon

Yup. There are some places online, including Fahrney's IIRC, selling it for as little as $450, though.

It's one of only a handful of Townsends I don't yet have in my collection, so I keep an eye out. ;)

Nowhere near as nice as the discontinued 18k rolled gold version. That one was a real classic - I guess the usual cost cutting pressures forced them to stop making it. I'm not keen on the new Cross gold plating, which is only three microns thick. On watches the gold plating is usually 20 microns, so this is very disappointing.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I just noticed that Judperl had a couple on eBay listed at $450 OBO. I put in an offer of $315 and it was accepted within 5 minutes. I haven't bought a Cross in sometime but these look quite nice. I went with the black with silver trim and broad nib.