Illuminated Amber

Scriptorium Pens

Working on another unnamed prototype here in Illuminated Amber acrylic with black acrylic finials and section. The only change I plan on making for the final version is to hide the barrel finial threads. :D This one is Medium size with 14mm cap to barrel threads. Cartridge/Converter/Eyedropper filler with #6 JoWo nib.

fpn_1404356450__600_prototype_illuminate

fpn_1404356462__600_prototype_illuminate

fpn_1404356473__600_prototype_illuminate

fpn_1404356484__600_prototype_illuminate

fpn_1404356504__600_prototype_illuminate

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scriptorium Pens

• duncsuss

• Bruce Markwardt

• richardandtracy

Such a deep rich color, simply amazing! I really like the shape too.

- Grayling

Grouse pen! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

But here I was thinking we would be getting piccies of tatts from a certain Las Vegan ink maven...

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

I really like the choice of material and the design is very pleasing to the eye.

Looks very nice.

The barrel finial could be threaded on to a threaded barrel spigot, or simply glued to it.

Is it likely the user will ever need to take it off? Probably not. And would it be easier to turn if it were part of the barrel and you didn't have to worry about perfect concentricity? Probably. Both argue in favour of gluing a block onto a spigot then turning with the rest.

Regards,

Richard

Great looking pen, Renée -- I love the gentle swell of the barrel.

I ent through the same thing with threaded finial tenons visible through the barrel. Now I try to make the tenon on the more translucent material. I don't usually glue it though. I finish the turning with the finial in place (so I get the seamless look that Richard mentioned), it works well since I reverse the barrel onto a mandrel for the final cuts and polishing the end of the barrel anyway.

Duncan Suss

Facebook: FruitOfTheLathe

Looks very nice.

The barrel finial could be threaded on to a threaded barrel spigot, or simply glued to it.

Is it likely the user will ever need to take it off? Probably not. And would it be easier to turn if it were part of the barrel and you didn't have to worry about perfect concentricity? Probably. Both argue in favour of gluing a block onto a spigot then turning with the rest.

Regards,

Richard

Great looking pen, Renée -- I love the gentle swell of the barrel.

I ent through the same thing with threaded finial tenons visible through the barrel. Now I try to make the tenon on the more translucent material. I don't usually glue it though. I finish the turning with the finial in place (so I get the seamless look that Richard mentioned), it works well since I reverse the barrel onto a mandrel for the final cuts and polishing the end of the barrel anyway.

That's exactly how I plan to do it, with tenon on the barrel, instead of on the finial, like I do with caps. I don't glue them until I've finished the pen. It holds together just fine simply being screwed on while turning down on the mandrel.

I generally glue down the finials. I am one who mindlessly "fiddles" with things. I could see myself mindlessly screwing the finial on and off and dropping it on the floor to bounce away and be lost forever. If there is no reason for anyone to need to remove the finial, why not glue it down?

If there is no reason for anyone to need to remove the finial, why not glue it down?

My aim with the fine nozzle of the glue bottle isn't always perfect ... CA glue in the wrong place can take a while to clean up. I just screw it on tight and avoid the mess :)

Duncan Suss

Facebook: FruitOfTheLathe

I love it. It has an old-fashioned, very serious writing tool look to it.

To hold a pen is to be at war. - Voltaire

My aim with the fine nozzle of the glue bottle isn't always perfect ... CA glue in the wrong place can take a while to clean up. I just screw it on tight and avoid the mess :)

I prefer not to glue mine in just in case a clip gets bend beyond repair. However, on the ones that I have glued in I just unscrew the final and brush on some 5min epoxy and thread it back on. You won't want to use CA bc when it off gases it can tarnish any metal on the pen. I wonder if shellac would work just as well and be removable later on??

LOVE the pen Renee!

• 2 weeks later...

Someone pointed out that I didn't post the specs for this one, so here they are:

Exemplar in Illuminated Amber acrylic
Medium Fountain Pen

Nib: JoWo (Meisternib) #6
Filling system: Cartridge/Converter/Eyedropper

Dimensions:
Length capped: 142mm/5.5”
Length uncapped: 132mm/5.1”
Length posted: 168mm/6.6”
Cap length: 61mm/2.4”
Cap diameter: 16.9mm/.66” at widest
Barrel diameter: 13.6mm/.53” at threads, 14.5mm/.57” at widest
Section diameter: 12.77mm/.5” at widest, 11.81mm/.46” at narrowest