Best Edc Pen

chomann

For everyday carry in jeans pockets, I like the Zebra Pocket Pen or the 301 Compact, but they're not ideal for long writing sessions (especially the Pocket Pen which is the width of most pen refills).

I'm not a big fan of the Fisher bullet pen. I do keep one in my car since it's more resistant to temperature extremes than other pens and more permanent than a pencil. I just don't like the way the Fisher refill writes. I've only tried the medium, so maybe the fine writes better.

Conan the Grammarian

“No place is boring, if you've had a good night's sleep and have a pocket full of unexposed film.” ~ Robert Adams

“Aerodynamics are for people who can’t build engines” ~ Enzo Ferrari

Cogito ergo spud. [i think therefore I yam.]

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jar

• dneal

• Renfield

• Brian1

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I found that the Blue fine point fisher space pen refill is less "blobby" than the Black fine or medium or blue medium.

What standard international carts can you buy that are permanent?

Filling the cart in the pen is possible, but to carry a few around in your pocket, you wouldn't want to rely on a cart that has a bit of tape over it, you would want an ink that you can buy so they are closed properly

Obviously permanence is relative, but thinking I can't think of too many.

Pelikan Blue Black

Pelikan Black

Those would definitely stand up to a soaking, maybe J Herbin Pearle Noir? or Diamine Onyx Black......

But not a lot of other choices, unless I am wrong?

Ren

Montblanc permanent blue and black come in short cartridges that fit the Kaweco Sport.

I have a Kaweco AL sport in my front pocket all the time. It's in a One Star Leather sleeve.

I got 99 plumoj but a BIC ain't one. HIT ME!!!

A Lamy 2000 or the gunmetal Pilot VP (not the stealth - that finish scratches when I look at it funny) are my EDCs, and they go right into the pocket without a second thought.

me, 146 149 and a mb ballpoint

'The Yo-Yo maneuver is very difficult to explain. It was first perfected by the well-known Chinese fighter pilot Yo-Yo Noritake. He also found it difficult to explain, being quite devoid of English.

So we left it at that. He showed us the maneuver after a sort. B*****d stole my kill.'

-Squadron Leader K. G. Holland, RAF. WWII China.

I have a Kaweco AL sport in my front pocket all the time. It's in a One Star Leather sleeve.

Had one of the Kaweco AL Sport Hi-Gloss pens in my right front pocket with all kinds of pocket trash for about 7 months now. Almost indestructible pen--no leaks, no problems, no accidental uncappings, nothing but 100% effective pen-ultimaticity:

http://i59.tinypic.com/2v184yw.jpg

http://i60.tinypic.com/1zva5aq.jpg

http://i59.tinypic.com/ekfh5f.jpg

I carry my pens clipped to my front pocket (one at a time, but occasionally two when one is running low). They're Ahab, Konrad, and Safari Vista. Vista is easiest to clip. But I prefer writing with the Konrad and Ahab.

• 1 year later...

me, 146 149 and a mb ballpoint

Okay pens but useless as EDC. Pilot Petit1, Parker 45 or 51 will do a better job. If it has to be a piston filler, I would go for Lamy 27 as my EDC.

Inked: Sailor King Pro Gear, Sailor Nagasawa Proske, Sailor 1911 Standard, Parker Sonnet Chiselled Carbon, Parker 51, Pilot Custom Heritage 92, Platinum Preppy

Okay pens but useless as EDC. Pilot Petit1, Parker 45 or 51 will do a better job. If it has to be a piston filler, I would go for Lamy 27 as my EDC.

Inquiring minds want to know?

Why would a Montblanc 146 or 149 be useless as an every day carry pen? Have I been committing some social faux pas by using them as such? Was using a Montblanc Dumas, Yard-o-Led Grand Viceroy Victorian, Caran d'Ache ChinaBlue Varius or Ferrari da Varese Botticelli as serious a breach of etiquette? Can I use my Sheaffer Legacy Washington and Richmond or the Montegrappa Juliet to write grocery lists or would such behavior cause some break in the space time continuum?

Sheesh!

Inquiring minds want to know?

Why would a Montblanc 146 or 149 be useless as an every day carry pen? Have I been committing some social faux pas by using them as such? Was using a Montblanc Dumas, Yard-o-Led Grand Viceroy Victorian, Caran d'Ache ChinaBlue Varius or Ferrari da Varese Botticelli as serious a breach of etiquette? Can I use my Sheaffer Legacy Washington and Richmond or the Montegrappa Juliet to write grocery lists or would such behavior cause some break in the space time continuum?

Sheesh!

If the commenter had meant his remark i the context of the original question (Needs to be jeans pocket suitable) then I can see the point as a MB149 would not be suitable or practical.

That said, I am not sure they did mean it in that context. So maybe they are talking at it from a cost point of view.

If it needs to be a fountain pen, I would agree with the metal Kaweco Sport idea. The most indestructible, small pen I can think of.

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8703/letterminizk9.png http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png

If the commenter had meant his remark i the context of the original question (Needs to be jeans pocket suitable) then I can see the point as a MB149 would not be suitable or practical.

That said, I am not sure they did mean it in that context. So maybe they are talking at it from a cost point of view.

If it needs to be a fountain pen, I would agree with the metal Kaweco Sport idea. The most indestructible, small pen I can think of.

Or it depends on definition one has for "EDC". For me it means something which I can, well EDC, and it will deliver. I try not to abuse my stuff, but I will not pamper those things either. If I happen to put the pen in a pocket where I have my coins or keys; or happen to drop it on concrete, too bad.

For me that means that a Pelikan m600 isn't a EDC pen (even if the pesky thing would work for me), while a Kaweco Al-Sport is.

Jar's definition is clearly somewhat different.

As I don't have a Montblanc, I wouldn't know if they can take carrying in jeans front pocket...

You do not have a right to post. You do not have a right to a lawyer. Do you understands these rights you do not have?

Kaweco Supra (titanium B), Al-Sport (steel BB).

Parker: Sonnet (dimonite); Frontier GT; 51 (gray); Vacumatic (amber).

Pelikan: m600 (BB); Rotring ArtPen (1,9mm); Rotring Rive; Cult Pens Mini (the original silver version), Waterman Carene (ultramarine F)