Xqmano

Hello.

A little while back I aquired a batch of pens from someone who didn't know the first thing about pens. Some of them were utterly uninteresting, some of them were destroyed beyond repair, some needs some work to be nice and a few turned out to be genuinely good pens, just needing a good flush.

Some of these were parkers. A duofold, a slimfold and a junior duofold. I think I've heard that some parkers were made in Denmark at one point, is this true? And I was wondering, as I've found no info on it, what M.I.D. that is stamped in right below the Parker Slimfold-stamp on the barrel might mean Made in Denmark?

Instagram: @fountainpensnorway

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• adamon

• Ricky2011

• Xqmano

• richardandtracy

There were Parker's made in Denmark.

I do not know much about them, but I do have a Parker 17 made in Denmark. None, repeat none, of the parts are interchangeable with a UK P17 due to different material thicknesses & thread. Which is a shame as I got it to repair a UK one...

Regards,

Richard

And I was wondering, as I've found no info on it, what M.I.D. that is stamped in right below the Parker Slimfold-stamp on the barrel might mean Made in Denmark?

The "M I D" on the barrel does indeed stand for Made in Denmark. Christian Olsen, the Danish distributer of Parker pens, manufactured Parkers in Denmark. Danish Parkers were also marked with an anchor and a C and O in a circle, which was the mark for Christian Olsen.

Parker: Sonnet Flighter, Rialto Red Metallic Laque, IM Chiseled Gunmetal, Latitude Stainless, 45 Black, Duovac Blue Pearl Striped, 51 Standard Black, Vac Jr. Black, 51 Aero Black, 51 Vac Blue Cedar, Duofold Jr. Lapis, 51 Aero Demi Black, 51 Aero Demi Teal, 51 Aero Navy Gray, Duofold Pastel Moire Violet, Vac Major Golden Brown, Vac Deb. Emerald, 51 Vac Dove Gray, Vac Major Azure, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, 51 Vac Black GF Cap, 51 Forest Green GF cap, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, Duovac Senior Green & Gold, Duovac Deb. Black, Challenger Black, 51 Aero Midnight, Vac. Emerald Jr., Challenger Gray Pearl, 51 Vac Black, Duofold Int. Black, Duofold Jr. Red.

The Danish Duofolds were produced by Christian Olsen. The barrels were signed with Christian Olsen’s logo or later with M.I.D. The nibs were signed with NGI (Nordisk Guldpenne Industri) logo or later with “D” letter.

The Danish Duofolds were produced as copies of English Duofold product range with small differecies. 2 additional colours: teracota brown and apple green, but no marbled versions. Clips were identical as English pens or made in Vacumatic style.

First 6 pens on this photo are the English Duofolds NS, rest – Danish.

fpn_1403175864__df_ns_1406_800.jpg

Here you can find Duofolds AF. 8 first pens are English, next 3 pens are Danish – 2 additional colours as at NS. The pencils were produced in Danemark only (not in English product range).

Last 3 pens are the oversized versions – produced in Danemark only. Were produced with clip in standard or Vacumatic style (first pen on the second photo).

fpn_1403175880__df_af_1406_800.jpg

fpn_1403175895__df_af_victory_1406_800.j

Olsen has produced also the copies of Victory Mk. IV pens – the name was "Popular" (7 pens on the right).

fpn_1403175961__victory_popular_1406_800

Here are the aerometric Duofolds and Victories Mk. V – identical as English, but with different imprints (nibs and barrels).

Last 2 pens on the 3rd photo are not aerometric pens. They are Students (button fillers) – not produced in Enland.

fpn_1403175914__df_dk_1_1406_800.jpg

fpn_1403175931__df_dk_2_1406_800.jpg

fpn_1403175946__df_dk_3_1406_800.jpg

Wow, thanks for the info. These must be later pens, as they have the D on the nib and only some have the anchor symbol.

Do you know what time period mr. Olsen was active?

Instagram: @fountainpensnorway

Christian Olsen has started in 1905 as seller of Parker's pens and was the first distributor of Parker pens outside the US. Then (40-ties?) he has established own brand - Penol and has produced also Parker pens based on English models. The above mentioned pens were produced within the same period as in UK: Duofold NS - 1946-48, Duofold AF - 1948-53, aerometric Duofolds - 1953 - late 60-ties. Olsen has produced also other Parker models (eg. VS).

I believe that Penol Company exist till today (I'm not sure), but doesn't produce the pens.

BTW: I believe that with Olsen's logo (barrel) and NGI's logo (nibs) were signed NS and AF pens. Aerometrics were signed with M.I.D. (barrel) and D (nibs).

• 3 months later...

Very Nice and informative, thanks adamon.

nice to find info on the Danish, French and Canadian versions of Newhaven's NS & AF.

Regards

Rick

Rick

Member of the Writing Equipment Society.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Ricky,

Sorry for the late answer, but I had no possibility to answer earlier.

So... here you can find some images of AF's:

From the left: English Duofold AF, French Duoufold AF, Danish Duofold AF and two versions of Danish Duofold AF Supersize:

fpn_1413378974__af_1_800.jpg

Same pens but with open caps

fpn_1413378996__af_2_800.jpg

Imprints: from the top: 2 versions of English AF's, Danish AF and Danish AF Supersize (French have no imprints on the barrel)

fpn_1413379020__af_3_800.jpg

Nibs: from the left: English, French, Danish and Danish AF Supersize

fpn_1413379036__af_4_800.jpg

Dimensions:

English and Danish Duofolds AF are almost identical. French Duofolds AF are different - a little bit longer (2 mm: French - 133.9mm, English - 131.5mm) and thinner (French - barrel 12.1mm, cap 13.2 mm; English - barrel 12.5mm, cap 13.8mm). These dimensions may vary slightly for individual copies.

Edited by adamon

• 2 months later...