• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• adamedwards

• doggonecarl

• crbrown

The highest shading that I have used are Sailor Yama Dori and Waterman South Seas Blue (or whatever insipid new name it goes by). :) Noodler's Navy is also highly shading for me.

Yes, W South Sea Blue shades a lot. It annoys me. Love the color though :)

Depends on how blue you want it. This is Dromgoole's Blue Steel.

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/Inklings/slides/2013-Ink_747c.jpg

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Noodlers Navajo Turquoise

+1 Navajo. A favorite of mine for the shading.

crbrown - beautiful writing!

Edited by ravantra

Change is not mandatory, Survival is not required.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Give Iroshizuku Kon-Peki a try if the suggestions so far didn't do it for you, it has a lot of shading as well. Waterman South Sea Blue is also great, I think it now goes by the name Inspired Blue.

As several posts mention, Salix is a gentle iron gall, whichwill give dramatic shading in a wet medium or broader nib.

+1 for Sailor - I just got some samples and the Yama-dori and Sei-Boku are very nice!

As several posts mention, Salix is a gentle iron gall, whichwill give dramatic shading in a wet medium or broader nib.

Also with a wet Pelikan fine nib!

+1 Navajo. A favorite of mine for the shading.

crbrown - beautiful writing!

Thank you!

Also with a wet Pelikan fine nib!

And actually with a Fine Onoto nib as it happens. Wonderful combination.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

• 1 year later...

Akkerman Shocking Blue for me. It is just about perfect and it has a great sheen, too. I liked Sailor Sky High Blue but that one is no longer sold. Diamine China Blue is a beauty and shaded in a great way. The iron gall blue/blacks shade well, and R&K Salix and Scabiosa are winners, even more so when mixed together.

What ratio do you mix R&K Salix and Scabiosa? I just tried 3 parts Scabiosa and 1 part Salix and it looks pretty nice. It looks like a richer Diamine Damson color. It shades decently as well in my Lamy 1.5mm italic.

Montblanc permanent blue shades a lot.

Agreed! Sometimes looks like marbling, especially with broad nibs. Now my favourite blue ink.

All my blues shade nicely with decent paper (Clairefontaine, Rhoda, Tomoe River, HP 32), just take your pick from more greenish to more purplish:

Ama Iro.

Kon Peki.

Tsuyu Kusa.

Myosotis.

Sheaffer

Pelikan Königsblau.

Asa Gao.

Ajisai.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell