Not Liking The Flow Of My Kaweco Sport

Jumpmonkey

I'm going to use the advice here to hopefully correct the skipping on my Kaweco classic, M nib. It was the first pen I bought and sadly goes mostly unused because of frequent skipping.

The medium nib is also too wide for me (I've discovered that I like Japanese fines), and I'd like to try out the EF nib on my Kaweco. However the only replacement nib I can find is the one labeled 060, and that one is listed as not being compatible with the classic. Can anyone confirm?

Also, any advice on where to buy replacement nibs in the U.S.? I can only find one retailer that has them listed, and they only have the calligraphy nibs and the supposedly incompatible 060 I mentioned.

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jumpmonkey

• dneal

• pepsiplease69

• elevennx

I'm going to use the advice here to hopefully correct the skipping on my Kaweco classic, M nib. It was the first pen I bought and sadly goes mostly unused because of frequent skipping.

The medium nib is also too wide for me (I've discovered that I like Japanese fines), and I'd like to try out the EF nib on my Kaweco. However the only replacement nib I can find is the one labeled 060, and that one is listed as not being compatible with the classic. Can anyone confirm?

Also, any advice on where to buy replacement nibs in the U.S.? I can only find one retailer that has them listed, and they only have the calligraphy nibs and the supposedly incompatible 060 I mentioned.

The Kaweco sport and the 060 use the same nib and feed. And you CAN (despite what they tell you on the product page) pull out both nibs and feeds and swap them around as you may please.

See the following:

https://nibandlens.wordpress.com/2013/08/04/kaweco-ice-sport-and-dia2-nibs/

The Kaweco sport and the 060 use the same nib and feed. And you CAN (despite what they tell you on the product page) pull out both nibs and feeds and swap them around as you may please.

See the following:

https://nibandlens.wordpress.com/2013/08/04/kaweco-ice-sport-and-dia2-nibs/

You're right. Since I wrote that post last year I purchased a 1.1 nib and swapped it in, just as you described. That nib skipped very badly at first too. With a little use though, both nibs eventually worked themselves out. The medium nib I have trouble thinking of as a medium because it seems so wide. But at the same time it has become one of the smoothest nibs I own. Even the 1.1 nib is remarkable smooth, especially considering that it is untipped. These turned out to be really great little pens.

I bought a Classic Sport about a month ago and, like so many other people on this board, found the nib to be unpleasant to use. A month later, it still skips sometimes and requires me to apply more pressure than is required with any other pen I have, but it does write more smoothly than it did at first.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok. Here's how you increase the flow of a Kaweco. I take no responsibility for anyone screwing up their pens. This is at your own risk, but every Kaweco I have writes perfectly.

First you make sure the channel and nib are aligned.

It should be like this

Not this

The feed and nib are easy to remove, and are friction fit (they pull out). They are held into a collar that screws into the section. If you try to twist them counterclockwise, the collar will unscrew. Clockwise tightens the collar. I say this because if you cannot pull them out, twist clockwise as you pull.

Put the feed in the bend of the first joint of your index finger, and put your thumb on the nib, like this (note that my thumb should be all the way to the section, but I left the gap so you could see.

It pulls right out

Now, with a brass sheet, lightly draw the corner all the way down the feed channel. This is removing any debris that may be stopping flow. Go from one end to the other in one complete stroke. Repeat as necessary, and a loupe will help you see if anything's in there.

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa163/roomdog/Kaweco%20Flow%20Adjustment/KawecoAdjust010_zps807657e1.jpg

Reassemble the nib and feed, and push it back into the collar. Check the channel / slit alignment when you're done. You can see how the feed is molded for the nib, creating "stops" letting you know where it should be. I left a little bit of a gap so you can see.

Does it write better? No?

Here's a second option. With a curved hobby knife blade, stick the tip in the feeder hole and rock the blade to the tip of the nib. This is spreading the tines. The deeper the blade, the more the spread. You can do this while the pen is inked up and test after each pass. Do not "slice" the blade down the length of the slit.

If the line width seems good, but the ink just isn't keeping up; you can do this as a last resort. This is irreversible, so easy does it.

Take the pointiest hobby knife blade, and with the back of the blade draw it down the feed channel like you did with the brass sheet. Use very, very light pressure and let the sharp tip do the work. Just a couple of strokes and then floss it out with the brass sheet.

Sorry the picture isn't clearer. I couldn't get the camera to focus. The sharp side of the blade is up.

Pardon me for the bump, but THANK YOU for taking the time to create this post! I have a Kaweco Fireblue EF that was a frequent skipper, but a couple strokes down the feed channel with a fine blade later, and BAM, she's flowing like a dream. Being new to fountain pens the advice of members such as yourself is invaluable, and enormously appreciated! :thumbup:

Conid R DCB DB FT Ti & Montblanc 146 stub nib | Lamy 2000; Vista | Montblanc 90th Anni Legrand | Pelikan M800 Burnt Orange; M805 Stresemann | Pilot Prera; VP Guilloche | Visconti Fiorenza Lava LE; Homo Sapiens Bronze

• 1 month later...

I know I am EXTREMELY tardy to the party, but I just purchased my first Kaweco Sport (in clear) with an EF nib and I was having issues with it starting at times. I would write and then it would stop, then start again. My issue seems to be that the nib was not totally set in the pen. I pushed the nib in until I heard a click and it seems to work just fine. That might be an issue with new pens, but worth a shot to anyone who purchases one of these pens before they start doing things to the nib and feed.

• 2 months later...

An update on the kaweco flow issues.

I learned from somewhere that the noodlers nib creaper is compatible with kaweco nibs so I tried it out.

It works and the flow is awesome.

Now my 1.5 and 1.9 kaweco nibs are back in full service. Just thought I share that.