The Plastic Jinhao 599 From Someone Who Hates Safaris.

Funkmon

Hello,

here is a little video review of the Jinhao 599. And yes. They write well.

MontPelikan

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Funkmon

• bob_hayden

• Morames

• Honeybadgers

I don't mind when inspiration is taken, but this thing is literally a ripoff. I have one because it was $1 and I was curious how it wrote - it wrote quite well, actually. But honestly, for the same price, with the same nib, the jinhao 992 is actually an original design that is much nicer in the hand

I agree that the lamy safari is not my cup of tea. I like the look, honestly, but don't like the plastic's feel. I think the Al-star is where lamy's "beginner" pens really start.

The plastic used on this pen is appalling. REALLY cheap, really easily broken.

Edited by Honeybadgers

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

I don't mind when inspiration is taken, but this thing is literally a ripoff. I have one because it was $1 and I was curious how it wrote - it wrote quite well, actually. But honestly, for the same price, with the same nib, the jinhao 992 is actually an original design that is much nicer in the hand

I agree that the lamy safari is not my cup of tea. I like the look, honestly, but don't like the plastic's feel. I think the Al-star is where lamy's "beginner" pens really start.

The plastic used on this pen is appalling. REALLY cheap, really easily broken.

Perhaps you haven't heard of the Sailor Procolor 500.

No, I am not going to list my pens here.

Nice little review.

I did a review of this pen, and the Hero equivalent, on my blog some time ago http://quillidyllic.blogspot.com.au/2014/07/chinese-copies-lamy-at-em.html

I bought 12 of these in 2014 and not one is still in rotation due to clips and caps either breaking off or falling off. In the end, it looks good but you get what you pay for.

Edited by youstruckgold

The rung of a ladder was never meant to rest upon, but only to hold a man's foot long enough to enable him to put the other somewhat higher - Thomas Huxley

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

Perhaps you haven't heard of the Sailor Procolor 500.

Fair enough, but I guess I should have validated my point - the jinhao 159 is basically identical to the montblanc 149. The reality is they two are at such insanely extreme ends of the price spectrum that the jinhao is no longer a ripoff and becomes basically a test mule for potential customers. the MB149 is a very big pen for many people, and I actually recommend the Jinhao 159 because it in no way has ever stolen a purchase from montblanc, it only serves as a test mule for people who want to see if they like the 149 before they buy it.

Same goes for the pro color and the 992. I guess I was wrong in calling it a unique design, but in reality, it's a pretty standard cigar shape pen with a #5 nib, quite different from sailor's pro color, versus the 599 and lamy safari (which in some situations are almost competing in price at a 10x vs 250x price margin)

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

fpn_1499192369__jinhao.jpg

This is the first one to break on me out of about a dozen. I never used the clip, the pen just sat on my desk where I found it like this one morning. Sheaffer Dollar Pens last 50 years and still counting so maybe these should be compared to the disposable Pilot Varsity.

Mine has a crack right there as well, came that way from the factory.

I just think jinhao needs to put a LITTLE more money into either their molds or the ABS they use.

Honestly it'd be cool to get a fiberglass ball reinforced plastic material that they use in tools, similar to makrolon. I'd buy a pen made from that! too bad it wears out molds pretty badly.

I don't want to like this pen, it's ugly, but I can't help it. It's a nice writer for the money. My first one a 599-A (does anyone know what the letter designations signify?) bought for the extravagant sum of $1.24 shipping included. After about a day of light writing I found myself used to the chamfered section. I do prefer using this pen unposted-it's very long when posted. I am annoyed at the sharp edge left by the molding process on the body and the little plastic grommet that takes the place of an o-ring went flying the first time I unscrewed the pen. I also wish it were a tad heavier. But it wrote instantly and smoothly right out of the package with Diamine Chocolate Brown.

Being on a bit of a binge I bought four Jinhao 599-A's, a metal F-P599 And since Bob mentioned the Yiren 566 and Youstruckgold mentioned the Hero 359 I just had to buy one of each to compare (all opaque). All of them were had under $2.00

Eventually I'll have to get the original as well. :rolleyes:

The plastic seems more of a rubbery type that the brittle plastic of my 592 Demonstrator. I've got a 591 Demonstrator on the way as well, I'm curious to see what that plastic is like. After reading a number of threads, it seems Jinhao has some issues with quality control and their plastics so I'm not expecting these pens to end up as heirlooms ;). If they last a year or two I'll consider myself to have gotten my money's worth. It seems like a decent bang-about everyday kind of pen, something to throw in a draw or backpack and not worry about. But as Bob said there are 50 year old Sheaffers out there as good as the day they were sold...

Pax,
John

The metal Jinhaos I have used like the 450 and 750 have been pretty good quality and write well. The only thing that lets it down is the converter and as a Schmidt unit goes straight in I don't find that a deal breaker. The nibs for all the 18 k (bleep) are actually smooth writers too. I have not tried this Lamy clone though.