Which Japanese Pen Is Your Favourite, And Why?

discopig

Pilot Elite and Capless Decimo.

I'm always confused when someone just says "Elite" and that's it, seeing as they had so many Elites ranging from cheaper steel nib pocket pens up to expensive 18K gold nib pens. So I never know which elite someone is talking bout when they just say that.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jar

• Sketch and Doodle

• discopig

• Alex2014

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Platinum 3776 century, Beautiful pen, nib, great balance.

I also love VP with a binder-ground stub!

I love those two too. The 3776 Century is definitely second as my favorite, and VP might be third.

Edited by discopig

I have just four Japanese pens in my collection of 50+ FPs: a Pilot Custom 823 in amber with B nib ground to CI; one Nakaya Blue Dragon portable cigar, BB nib ground to a stub; one Platinum Galaxy Maki-e with a music nib; and a Pilot Custom 74 with a M nib.

In terms of the nib, I prefer my Custom 823 over my Nakaya Blue Dragon. That may be a function of the grind more than anything else, but I just love it. In terms of the pen's aesthetic appearance as I use it, however, it's the Blue Dragon, hands down, followed by the 823.

I am not fond of M nibs, but that Custom 74 nib is my favorite M nib out of my 15 or so M nibs because it is soft (springy?) and gives me some line variation.

I do not like the Platinum Galaxy that much - I prefer caps that screw on, and I wish I hadn't gotten the music nib.

I reach mostly for my Japanese favorites these days, and use the Italian and German pens less and less.

Not all those who wander are lost. J.R.R.Tolkien

For me it is a tossup. I have slightly more Pilots than Sailors, but there is only one brand of which I own more -- Noodler's, and that mainly for the flex and low price. The Pilot and Sailor nibs are unexpressably superb. I have nails as well as a Namiki Falcon, and a Custom 742 with FA nib. Those are actually my favorites of the Pilots.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
Edmund Burke (1729 - 1797)

I've owned 3 Sailors and a Nakaya. But eclipsing all 4 in beauty is my 1950s vintage no-name urushi finished pen with ebonite showing through in streaks. Just as I love my vintage American and European pens from 1920s to 1950s, I was pleasantly surprised that Japan also made some of its best pens in "the good old days". If I were in Japan, I would be poking around antique stores looking for local hand made fountain pens.

Bob

Pelikan 100; Parker Duofold; Sheaffer Balance; Eversharp Skyline; Aurora 88 Piston; Aurora 88 hooded; Kaweco Sport; Sailor Pro Gear

Eca de Queroiz: "Politicians and diapers should be changed frequently, and for the same reason."

The VP/capless was my favorite until I got my Pilot Justus 95 now it's a toss up!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

I barely have Japanese pens but then again I'm not really into "collecting" but eh...

so far in my time of recently going back to FPs I have

Sailor Fude de Mannen

Pilot Custom Heritage 92

Sailor Lecoule

Platinum Preppy

I find using the Fude de Mannen enjoyable but I gave that to my elder brother, I know I hate chinese calligraphy but hey its a fun pen to write with without the hassle of a brush, my Pilot Custom Heritage 92 is my favorite pen that soft medium nib may not be a true flex but man its a good way to study a semi-flex pen if I ever go back to Japan soft-fine yeah, it's design is also a dead ringer to a Sailor Sapporo maybe soon a Sailor Realo Maybe... or I might just go straight to custom made wooden pens :X

Hardly to decide.

1. Nakaya Long Cigar with FM reground soft nib

2. Platinum Izumo President F nib

3. Namiki Yukari "Sweet Flags & Moon" M nib

4. Danitrio Grand Trio Totetsu F nib

5. Sailor 1911 maki-e Butterflies F nib

6. Nakaya Naka-ai Chinkin FM reground nib customized to stub

7. Pilot Custom 74 EF nib

s.o.

Nakaya is my favorite brand; Piccolo Cigar my favorite model.

I love the design of the pen (cap flush with barrel, flattish ends) and the gorgeous urushi and the wonderful nibs and the lightness of the pen in hand. It's very comfortable for long writing sessions. And it's c/c, which is my preference.

I like other brands, Japanese and Western, but Nakaya is my favorite.

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

My favourite pen is the next one....

But seriously, right now I'm enjoying the Capless (aka Vanishing Point) in Fine, however I keep swapping that fine between the 2012 marble limited edition (for a bit more flair when I want it) and keeping it in the matte black for regular day to day use.

I'd have to say it's my favourite because it's practical, fits easily into a shirt pocket, and I can use it for practically everything. It's not overly elaborate, I just click - write -click - pocket. No nonsense.

Not that I wouldn't love a Nakaya if I were ever able to live with myself for buying one....

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

My current favourite is my Danitrio Takumi in Wakasa-nuri, and the black and vermillion Urushi Namiki Emperors are pretty tempting. In general, I like many of the less common lacquer arts and Danitrio offer more of them than anyone else, Nakaya might be able to provide those lacquer arts too; however, I prefer larger pens and Danitrios are bigger than Nakayas.

Pilot Custom (amber) 823 M nib - smooth, not too wet (unlike my MB 145 F, which is way too wet), and I can see the ink (I like to see the ink).

I really had to think about this. Two pens spring to mind instantly: a Pilot Custom 823 and a Pilot Justus 95. In the end, as much as I love both, the flexibility and appearance of the Justus gives it the merest edge.

The pen is very attractive, very functional, and totally unique in my collection.

Proud resident of the least visited state in the nation!

The Pilot Birdie is my favorite Japanese pen. why? it was the first Japanese pen that was given to me.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

I like 'em all, for different reasons. If I had to pick, it would be the Nakaya portable writer with flexible medium nib. Soft and springy goodness. Simple elegant lines and color (just black), and there is something about the ebonite and urushi that provides a unique and satisfying tactile sensation.

I like my Sailor 1911, sturdy and dependable; and Namiki Falcon, light and agile.