Pen Size Or Comparison (Also Known As: Yikes!)

FloatingFountain

I've created an image that shows some pens I have, want, or are considering.

post-111720-0-48141400-1398724740_thumb.jpg

From top to bottom:

Parker Duofold Centennial

Parker Duofold International (In the mail now)

Sailor Sapporo (Have it)

Parker Sonnet (Have it)

Sailor 1911 Medium (Considering)

Sailor 1911 Large (Considering)

I've taken the posted size of the Duofold Centennial (6.9 inches) as default, and resized the other pens accordingly. Yikes. Even the International is MUCH bigger than I suspected, when seeing it on scale next to a Sapporo and Sonnet. The Sapporo is on the small side; as small as I can comfortably go. (The reason to choose it at the time, over the larger ProGear, was cost; it was almost half the price.) A posted Sonnet is about perfect for me, and I particularly like the very long nib/section combination. When using the Sapporo, the tip of my index finger is just below the section band; so I essentially grip that pen at the threads. I wonder if the International is not too big already, let alone if I had chosen the Centennial. Although, I'm not against using a pen unposted.

I would have liked it if there was some graphical, accurate on-scale database to compare pens.

This image gives me a bit more insight into Sailor's sizes, also:

- It seems the 1911 Medium is the same size as the Sapporo (Professional Gear Slim). They also both have 14K nibs, and cost the same in the Netherlands (€149.)

- I know from experience that the Professional Gear Standard is one size bigger than the Sapporo. The 1911L is a size larger than the 1911M, so I assume that the ProGear Standard and 1911 Large are the same size. Is this correct? They both have a 21K nib, and cost €295 in The Netherlansd.

It's confusing that, between the ProGear and 1911 lines, the size matches seem to be:

ProGear Slim = 1911 Medium

ProGear Standard = 1911 Large

Maybe the above comparison is useful for someone. Does someone know of a website, where pens can be chosen to graphically compare? There are sites that do this for photo camera's and lenses, which can be very helpful. I know of the nibs.com database/list, but that is not graphical. Maybe it would be an idea to start something such as this, if it doesn't already exist?

Edited by FloatingFountain

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FloatingFountain

• zombywoof

• Opooh

• ac12

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

@zomby

Thanks for the link, I did not know they added that feature to their site.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Thanks :) I did know of the nibs.com database, but not of the Goulet one. Pity that the Goulets don't sell a single pen I'm interested in.

It's not difficult to create such a database, but it's a lot of work...

It's not difficult to create such a database, but it's a lot of work...

I have been thinking about this seriously. Problem is that it would take about a month for two people to do the first version of the web service (UX & front end guy and the back end guy). And one lawyer with expertise on international IP issues. Given a good tool the community would provide the content, or so i hope.

I have done UX & design for a few web services and i kind of would be interested in project like this. But i do not see any other way than to do this as a ad-supported service (at least one ad / page view) as sacrificing one month of work time to pet project is not possible for me.

Non notisi signi.

I have a Parker Duofold International but none of the other pens you picture.

Posted the International is indeed about 6.5" long but not nearly as fat as your picture shows.

If it helps, the uncapped pen is generally similar to a Pelikan M600 but slimmer. I guess not much different from a Sonnet but when posted the cap perches on the end of the barrel creating a long pen.

Nibs.com says the Sapporo has a 0.4 inch (10.6mm) section, while the International would be 0.35 inch (8.9mm). The Sapporo is not a fat pen, and I almost can't believe that the Duofold International is slimmer. It would be the size of a Waterman Hemisphere, which is a very slender pen. I almost can't believe that this is correct.

This website says the section of an International is 11.7mm, which seems far more likely.

If an unposted International is as long as a Sonnet, then it's fine; I can use that pen unposted. The Sonnet doesn't get much longer when posting, as about half the barrel disappears into the cap. This is not going to happen with the Duofold.

Edited by FloatingFountain

Maybe the above comparison is useful for someone. Does someone know of a website, where pens can be chosen to graphically compare?

I try to keep the scale the same in the shots on my site. It's probably not perfect, but it gives a sense of relative sizes:

http://dirck.delint.ca/beta/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Parker-R205pp.jpg

http://dirck.delint.ca/beta/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Sheaffer-0043.jpg

http://dirck.delint.ca/beta/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Montblanc-R225.jpg

http://dirck.delint.ca/beta/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Salz-0395.jpg

Consistency in focus and lighting are another matter entirely. :rolleyes:

Edited by Ernst Bitterman

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

fpn_1465330536__hwabutton.jpg