Info Requested On Display Case

NobleDel

Hello,

I received a beautiful Esterbrook display case for Valentine's Day, please see photos. So now, I have a couple of questions about this case.

First, could someone please tell me when this style case was used?

Second, there appears to be a place for an Esterbrook information or advertisement card just under the pen rack. Could someone please tell me what would have been there? A photo would be ideal.

Thanks very much for your help.

post-88273-0-65933800-1392475195_thumb.jpg

post-88273-0-16000800-1392475214_thumb.jpg

post-88273-0-36322400-1392475235_thumb.jpg

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• NobleDel

• Hobiwan

• OcalaFlGuy

• pajaro

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm sorry I can't help you but what a wonderful and thoughtful Vday gift! You have some nice Esties there too.

Bruce in Oclaa, Fl

That's a very nice case, made in the period style. It takes me back and leaves me feeling awed by the remembrance of things past.

The selection of pens is perfect.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Just out of curiosity, I googled for it, and came up with a couple of SIMILAR pieces. The first has the striping effect like yours with larger capacity, with the printing too dull to read. The second, with the same style printing on it as yours, although your space is wider. Looks like generally there'll be something promoting a selection of nibs. Maybe these will give you an idea of what you're looking for.

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/174514554284061818/

http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/6560407

Hope this helps.

Best Regards
Paul

“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
– Albert Einstein

• 8 months later...

With the help of Hobiwan (thank you very much), a fortunate ebay purchase of some Esterbrook advertising, a drawing program, and my girlfriend's vast computer skills (I have none), we have created what might have been in the blank space in this display case. The only problem is the paper is too white to be in a 60+ year old display case. The next step is to print the card with a darker background to simulate age. Thanks for looking.

post-88273-0-47814000-1414948417_thumb.jpg

post-88273-0-62782900-1414948449_thumb.jpg

post-88273-0-81197100-1414948542_thumb.jpg

post-88273-0-66300300-1414948566_thumb.jpg

Spec Tacular!

Best Regards
Paul

“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
– Albert Einstein

Fabulous!

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Man that came out Really Nice.

Again, GREAT selection of pens there too.

Though outside my skill level, old decals can be scanned, digitally cleaned up and reprinted on decal paper.

I've enjoyed that restorer that fixes things up for the guys on Pawn Stars. For widely desired items like old Coke machines, modern total replications of all the factory decals are still available.

I actually have most all the pieces of your box that Pendelton Brown gave me. I've considered posting an ad Will trade a restored Estie for restoring my box. Maybe someday...

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Thanks very much for the compliments. The display case finally looks complete. Funny thing, on all of the other cases I've seen on the net the nib advertisement appeared to be a decal directly applied to the wood. This one didn't look like it ever had a decal, so I naturally thought it might originally had a card. I was fortunate to find an advertisement that with a little photo shop work yielded a passable Esterbrook display case nib advert. We printed it on thick paper and placed it inside.

Also this is the only small case I've seen.

Edited by NobleDel

That's so cool. What a great way to display your Esties.

Life's too short to use crappy pens.  -carlos.q

That's so cool. What a great way to display your Esties.

I agree! What a great job you and your friends did on this! Great bunch of Esterbrooks, as well. Fantastic all the way around. Congratulations!

-David.

No matter how much you push the envelope, it will still be stationery. -Anon.

A backward poet writes inverse. -Anon.