Using A Semi-Flex-A Question & Need Advice

iRabb

Folks, I now have a Binder pen with a Fine semi-flex gold nib of his in place of the stock nib. My question: does one let the nib just (semi) flex naturally while writing, or is it flexed intentionally?

I would also be grateful for any advice from more experienced members on using a true semi-flex for the first time. I do not plan to put this pen to paper until I learn a little more-I do not intend to ruin this nib by using it incorrectly!

Thanks, all.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• iRabb

• GClef

• legume

• BillZ

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe you should contact Richard and ask him for guidance? The SF nib on my Pilot falcon allows me to increase the width of the line with a little pressure. It's an acquired skill. Don't be afraid to push down A LITTLE to see what happens. That's why it named a flex.

Pat Barnes a.k.a. billz

Hang out in the Penmanship forum, below. Those folks have all the arcane knowledge about flexible nibs and line variation. From what I gather down there, one must follow the teachings of the Roman gods of industry: Assiduous and Sedulous. Although I have a certain dip pen nib that will automatically produce line variation for me, I must cop a certain attitude before it will happen. That ain't always in the cards.

Can a calculator understand a cash register?

Whether intentional or not, keep the pen at least perpendicular to the lines, so that you working with the flex.

The following link has a tutorial as to how to properly learn to use a flex nib in a fountain pen ... http://www.vintagepen.net/how-to-use-flex-nibs.html

Hope this information is helpful to you!

Tu Amigo!

Mauricio Aguilar

www.VintagePen.net

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3525/4051556482_36f28f0902_m.jpg

E-Mail: VintagePen@att.net

Whether intentional or not, keep the pen at least perpendicular to the lines, so that you working with the flex.

I know you don't mean this, but it almost sounds like you mean the pen should be at a 90 degree angle to the paper! Can you explain more about what you mean about being "at least perpendicular to the lines?"

Thanks!

Viewing the paper and pen from above, the pen/nib should be at a right angle to the direction in which you write.

Yes, and a 45° angle to the paper.

Viewing the paper and pen from above, the pen/nib should be at a right angle to the direction in which you write.

Yes, this is clear and makes sense. Thank you!

Yes, and a 45° angle to the paper.

Also useful! Thank you too.

Might want to look up Mickey's work on flex nibs here on the FPN. He writes in Spenserian and Copperplate and has great grasp on the theory of flex writing. Has helped me a lot in developing better habits with flex writing.

Best of luck to you,

Yours,
Randal

From a person's actions, we may infer attitudes, beliefs, --- and values. We do not know these characteristics outright. The human dichotomies of trust and distrust, honor and duplicity, love and hate --- all depend on internal states we cannot directly experience. Isn't this what adds zest to our life?

You may want to try buying a few dip pen nibs and a holder to get used to flexible nibs. This was a good option for me since it let me flex with abandon and not worry about ruining an expensive and antique nib as I got used to flex.

You may want to try buying a few dip pen nibs and a holder to get used to flexible nibs. This was a good option for me since it let me flex with abandon and not worry about ruining an expensive and antique nib as I got used to flex.

Not a bad idea. Other than eBay and shows, do you know of a source?

A good source for nibs and holders http://www.paperinkarts.com

pentulant [adjective]: immodest or wanton in search of all things related to pens<BR> [proper noun]: Christine Witt Visit Pentulant<br>

President, Brush Dance - we make high-quality, mindful Calendars, Planners, Journals, and other fun stuff you'll love

This turned out to be a brilliant suggestion. My local pen shop, Avalon Jewelers, had several dip nibs and holders. I now have a semi-flex and a full flex nib, each in its own holder, and it cost next to nothing. Thank you so much for this great idea!

This turned out to be a brilliant suggestion. My local pen shop, Avalon Jewelers, had several dip nibs and holders. I now have a semi-flex and a full flex nib, each in its own holder, and it cost next to nothing. Thank you so much for this great idea!

I'm glad I was of help to you! I really like dip pens for sampling inks as well. Paper and Ink Arts mentioned above and John Neal Bookseller may have a wider selection than your local store should you want them.

I'm glad I was of help to you! I really like dip pens for sampling inks as well. Paper and Ink Arts mentioned above and John Neal Bookseller may have a wider selection than your local store should you want them.

Thanks. I will look into them as well.