New Design For Pelikan Ink Bottles

zoli

This year brought a new design for Pelikan ink bottles. I saw this ink a few days ago in a German shop in Budapest, Hungary. I’m not sure if it’s only the box that has been renewed. However, I hope for my American friends that at least blueblack has a new formula so that it can now be sold again in US as well.

So far I’ve seen this new design for the black and the blueblack inks.

post-33948-0-37744400-1390055334_thumb.jpg

post-33948-0-81453300-1390055338_thumb.jpg

Edited by zoli

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• zoli

• inotrym

• RMN

• BCL-2

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Looks like the bottle is the same. New label and box, more in line with the labelling of the Edelstein bottles.

I suppose the ink formula is the same?

So it is just "old wine in new sacks"?

BTW why is the Blue Black not allowed in the US?

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

They seem to go the Waterman way.

Unlike Waterman's though, their new labels seem to be prettier than the previous.

Good for them!!

edit:

it kind of reminds me the Goulets!! :lol:

Edited by inotrym

A pity to see the beautiful understated solid old design changed in this way.

"Le vase donne une forme au vide, et la musique au silence"

Georges Braque

I am with Nibwitz on this point. The new labeling seems out of character with at least my sense of what the inks are like. Speaking as a simple American who has never lived in Europe and, most importantly, never was a schoolchild in Europe, I have gotten the idea from talking with Europeans about their schooldays and reading postings to FPN that Pelikan royal blue and black inks are thought to have the virtues of cheapness and genuine usefulness as generic inks.

More a draft horse than an Arabian.

The koenigsblau experience in childhood, the washability, the erasability, the all-round subordination of children, has alienated at least some of us from the idea of using blue inks if they can be avoided. I myself use the black, but I don't imagine that I'm having an experience of much delicacy. The new labels suggest delicacy, indeed delicacy carried to a fault.

Let me add a generic "I speak under correction." I look forward to hearing from middle-aged Germans for whom Pelikan royal blue is comparable to the unaccompanied cello suites of Bach.

At the risk of being too conservative, I would like to get rid of the impression Pelikan is at the moment spending more on fancy packaging than on the stuff that's inside, where it really counts. Same with Edelstein.

Too obvious an attempt to join the 'boutique-style-fancy-Doir perfume-like-inks' group, like Pilot/Iroshizuku. (with the comment that Iroshizuku inks are indeed very nice inks)

What I, and some other here, like about Pelikan is it's no-nonsense straight forward industrial-style products. Something 'Angela Merkel'-like; really being the Boss while bypassing the fancy nonsense...

"Le vase donne une forme au vide, et la musique au silence"

Georges Braque

I hear you and I can see how some people look Pelikan inks like workhorses.

On the other hand I am pretty young (24), I did not use a fountain pen at school (in fact at primary school any pen was forbidden, we just used pencil; later on we used ballpoints) and to me everything about fountain pens is about luxury and ,if you will, idiosyncracy.

To me there is no workhorse pen or ink, because fountain pens are not really practical. Practical is a ballpoint that stays uncapped for a year and doesn't dry out, writes continuously for miles and miles on every paper regardless its quality and costs $0.10.

My FP thing is about some kind of luxury, and thus I admit that I do dig nice bottles and labels, nib engravings, precious body materials and such.

Since there already is the Edelstein line to please folks like me, and there are FP users like you guys that need something more low profile, then I suppose Pelikan should respect that. But if they don't I still like their new labels :P:P:P

I have learned something worth knowing from Inotrym's post above. Granted, I did not begin as he began, and my view of pens and inks is not the same as his, but I endorse his well-written expression of a view that is widespread on FPN and in the world as it is today. I am also pleased that he thinks there is room for both opinions.

It's alright. Not that I'd care for it before, but if it were a new glass bottle, I'd run out for for some old ones before they dissapeared, but alas, just a rebranding.

Practical is a ballpoint that stays uncapped for a year and doesn't dry out, writes continuously for miles and miles on every paper regardless its quality and costs $0.10.

what pen is that? I want to buy some.

what pen is that? I want to buy some.

Bic ecolutions round stic.

pretty common promotional pen that you usually get for free at a big cosmetics chain shop in Greece.

best ballpoint I have ever used in unlimited supply :D

Does this mean Pelikan is changing their boxes' labels too?

The older labels on the bottles matched those on the boxes.

In any case this one's just more colorful but carries the same information.

I'm guessing Pelikan felt their bottles weren't eye catching, so customers would just ignore them when compared to other brands' bottles.

In a world where there are no eyes the sun would not be light, and in a world where there were no soft skins rocks would not be hard, nor in a world where there were no muscles would they be heavy. Existence is relationship and you're smack in the middle of it.

- Alan Watts

Bic ecolutions round stic.

pretty common promotional pen that you usually get for free at a big cosmetics chain shop in Greece.

best ballpoint I have ever used in unlimited supply :D

Hondos?

Does this mean Pelikan is changing their boxes' labels too?

The older labels on the bottles matched those on the boxes.

In any case this one's just more colorful but carries the same information.

I'm guessing Pelikan felt their bottles weren't eye catching, so customers would just ignore them when compared to other brands' bottles.

Either that, or like MB, are using the new labelling to push the price up.

Either that, or like MB, are using the new labelling to push the price up.

MB didn't use any new labelling to push up any prices. What they did do was (i) open up a complete new series of inks (in 60-ml instead of 50-ml bottles plus a great improvement of the bottle itself), (ii) LE inks like White Forest and SE inks like those of the Writer Series, and (iii) their two newest inks (Blue Permanent and Black Permanent) which are both a completely new type of MB ink.

Mike

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Yeah, I think the price of the Pelikan went slightly up too, like 10 percent.

Still very affordable at 3.30 Euros.

But I also love Montblanc inks, even though they cost more.

Zoli

It's a nice label but I sure would like to see the 4001 Blue Black back here in the states again.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain