Nos Parker Quink Blue Black Ink From 1943.

Florida Blue

Florida Blue,

Thanks for the review. I have the same vintage ink. Same bottle, same box but not from the Pendemonium source, therefore, I assume a different batch. The color of my ink on the page looks exactly like yours. It's pretty obvious that this ink's color has degraded over time to a gray. I also have a bottle of the Washable Blue from the same time period. That ink, however, is as bright & blue as it was the day it was bottled. I also have a bottle of Skrip #22 Blue Black that's almost as old. The Skrip is still a blue/black although somewhat duller than day one. It appears, to me at least, that whatever adds the black element is a bit unstable over time.

JasCas

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Florida Blue

• amberleadavis

• moylek

• wvbeetlebug

My only comment is that this ink is truely Permanent. I learned this the hard way many years ago, back when I used to use vintage inks regularly. I lost two shirts to it.

To my eyes the even the color has a 'vintage' quality to it. Maybe it is due to the aging of some of the components, like a fine wine. So be it. So very different from the super-saturated inks of today (though they do have their place)

I'm probably a tad late to snag a bottle but hope springs eternal. The bottle itself is definitely a keeper when all is written and done. Anyway congrats on such a coup.

100 gallons of quink on the wall, 100 gallons of quiiink...enjoy!

:happycloud9:

Cathy L. Carter

Live. Love. Write.

Florida Blue,

Thanks for the review. I have the same vintage ink. Same bottle, same box but not from the Pendemonium source, therefore, I assume a different batch. The color of my ink on the page looks exactly like yours. It's pretty obvious that this ink's color has degraded over time to a gray. I also have a bottle of the Washable Blue from the same time period. That ink, however, is as bright & blue as it was the day it was bottled. I also have a bottle of Skrip #22 Blue Black that's almost as old. The Skrip is still a blue/black although somewhat duller than day one. It appears, to me at least, that whatever adds the black element is a bit unstable over time.

JasCas

Thanks JasCas!

I'd like to try some Washable Blue one day. Maybe some NOS bottles will surface for sale. I've read on the Pendemonium site that blue tends to hold up better than black inks. They don't recommend using vintage Parker Microfilm black in fountain pens (only dip pens) because it is known to be unstable as it ages.

Parker: Sonnet Flighter, Rialto Red Metallic Laque, IM Chiseled Gunmetal, Latitude Stainless, 45 Black, Duovac Blue Pearl Striped, 51 Standard Black, Vac Jr. Black, 51 Aero Black, 51 Vac Blue Cedar, Duofold Jr. Lapis, 51 Aero Demi Black, 51 Aero Demi Teal, 51 Aero Navy Gray, Duofold Pastel Moire Violet, Vac Major Golden Brown, Vac Deb. Emerald, 51 Vac Dove Gray, Vac Major Azure, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, 51 Vac Black GF Cap, 51 Forest Green GF cap, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, Duovac Senior Green & Gold, Duovac Deb. Black, Challenger Black, 51 Aero Midnight, Vac. Emerald Jr., Challenger Gray Pearl, 51 Vac Black, Duofold Int. Black, Duofold Jr. Red.