Learning Italic

caliken

No. The Blackletter family of scripts predate Italic.

ok.

i thought any font written with stub nib is italic or a variant of it.

"On every dishonest man,there are two watchmen,his possessions and his way of living."

Hazrat Umar bin Khattab (May Allah be pleased with him)

• Replies 673
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dms525

• ongnon

• KaB

• caliken

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

today i bought 4 shades of water color ink

orange,blue,green and white to make them lighter

and a new kalam

http://i1368.photobucket.com/albums/ag175/ink00/paints_zpsab2d870c.jpg

and a water brush

http://i1368.photobucket.com/albums/ag175/ink00/paints2_zps67b3ba16.jpg

http://i1368.photobucket.com/albums/ag175/ink00/paints3_zpsdf5ced72.jpg

"On every dishonest man,there are two watchmen,his possessions and his way of living."

This was written with a no.2 1/2 Mitchell's square- edged dip nib with Higgins Black ink. The paper was Mondi smooth 100gsm, the writing is at a slope angle of 5 degrees and the x height is 7mm

fpn_1413552280__for_fpn_300.jpg

Edited by Ken Fraser

Over the past few weeks I've practiced an italic hand based on this particular course/booklet http://66.147.242.192/~operinan/8/2/205.html , and I began wondering... the authors' practice sheets include a slant line, baselines, midlines, ascender lines and descender lines. What I've noticed is that his ascender/descender spacing is not equal to the space between the baseline and the midline, but rather half the space:

http://i.imgur.com/Fk4wYKp.jpg

And the thing is, I like how the writing looks with the smaller ascenders and descenders (always thought that the b's, d's, g's etc just looked silly elongated like they are on "regular" italic sheets).

So what do you guys think, is this another sort of italic?

Edited by Murky

"The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counterintuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what's true..." (Carl Sagan)

Over the past few weeks I've practiced an italic hand based on this particular course/booklet http://66.147.242.192/~operinan/8/2/205.html , and I began wondering... the authors' practice sheets include a slant line, baselines, midlines, ascender lines and descender lines. What I've noticed is that his ascender/descender spacing is not equal to the space between the baseline and the midline, but rather half the space:

So what do you guys think, is this another sort of italic?

I started too with this book. Realy fun the way he introduces you to italic writing. But since for me, it had too little instructions to help me, I now work with Fred Eager's 'The Italic Way to Beautiful Handwriting'. And I also noticed that difference. But also: branching is deeper in Briem than in Eager. Some details of some letter forms differ (small upstroke at the end of the Q-stem for example in Eager).

So apparently, there's different flavours around.

I can only help you noticing differences, not understanding or explaining them. That'll be for people who really know their way around italic...

247254751_TSUKI-Yo_emptycompressedverkleind.gif.bfc6147ec85572db950933e0fa1b6100.gif

I started too with this book. Realy fun the way he introduces you to italic writing. But since for me, it had too little instructions to help me, I now work with Fred Eager's 'The Italic Way to Beautiful Handwriting'. And I also noticed that difference. But also: branching is deeper in Briem than in Eager. Some details of some letter forms differ (small upstroke at the end of the Q-stem for example in Eager).

So apparently, there's different flavours around.

I can only help you noticing differences, not understanding or explaining them. That'll be for people who really know their way around italic...

Thank you for the answer! I too love the approach he used, the zigzags really helped me properly establish trickier (for me) letters, like the italic 'a' or 'd'. Flavors aside, the most important thing: Italic really is the most legible writing style that is also very elegant.

"The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counterintuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what's true..." (Carl Sagan)

• 4 months later...

I like to watch the television programs by Lloyd J. Reynolds posted on YouTube while practising my Italic handwriting. Still have lots to learn, but that's okay. I'm having fun with the Pilot Parallel Pens, the 1.5, 2.4 and 3.8 mm ones. I also have the 6 mm but it seems much too wide for me. I do like the 3.8 because quite often I'll mess up the angle of the pen and end up writing with just the corner of the "nib". Such tricky beasts, these edged pens!

fpn_1425896682__wp-20150308-web.jpg

I probably do the same with the 1.5 mm, but it is not as noticeable to my eyes. Writing large and slow, but trying to avoid drawing or constructing the letters -- except for the Roman capitals. Trying to let my hand do the work and look critically afterwards.

journaling / tinkering with pens / sailing / photography / software development

I like to watch the television programs by Lloyd J. Reynolds posted on YouTube while practising my Italic handwriting. Still have lots to learn, but that's okay. I'm having fun with the Pilot Parallel Pens, the 1.5, 2.4 and 3.8 mm ones. I also have the 6 mm but it seems much too wide for me. I do like the 3.8 because quite often I'll mess up the angle of the pen and end up writing with just the corner of the "nib". Such tricky beasts, these edged pens!

fpn_1425896682__wp-20150308-web.jpg

I probably do the same with the 1.5 mm, but it is not as noticeable to my eyes. Writing large and slow, but trying to avoid drawing or constructing the letters -- except for the Roman capitals. Trying to let my hand do the work and look critically afterwards.

Found out about this book tonight at the Washington Calligrapher's Guild meeting:

http://www.johnnealbooks.com/prod_detail_list/704

• 3 months later...

Here is a sample of my italic writing. To practice my writing, I'm copying The Origin of Species. I used a dip pen with a Mitchell #2.5 nib and Winsor Newton ink. The paper is Rhodia.

18559708313_9130da048c_z.jpg

There is quite a bit of room for improvement here--this is meant to be formal calligraphy, not everyday writing, so my letterforms and spacing need to be more consistent. This post will serve as a record of my current ability and I'll post more pictures as I practice.

Science is a way of thinking much more than it is a body of knowledge.

--Carl Sagan

• 1 month later...

I've been a lurker here a while. Bought my first fountain pen one year ago, and about 6 months go I got interested in calligraphy. I loooove italic, so I've invested in 1.1 and a 1.5 italic nibs for my Lamy Studio. I've only actually sat down and practiced twice - for about 1 hour each. Here and there at work I write down an alphabet or try to write my notes in italic lettering. My first "project" came sooner than I intended. I was hoping for a LOT more practice before embarking on a project with any value, but lo and behold, I'm getting married in a week. So I decided to try my hand at our seating chart myself. This is the result. Any critiques welcome!!

post-123795-0-80959100-1440003761_thumb.jpg

http://i1368.photobucket.com/albums/ag175/ink00/DSC02211_zps2driq7eq.jpg

I've been a lurker here a while. Bought my first fountain pen one year ago, and about 6 months go I got interested in calligraphy. I loooove italic, so I've invested in 1.1 and a 1.5 italic nibs for my Lamy Studio. I've only actually sat down and practiced twice - for about 1 hour each. Here and there at work I write down an alphabet or try to write my notes in italic lettering. My first "project" came sooner than I intended. I was hoping for a LOT more practice before embarking on a project with any value, but lo and behold, I'm getting married in a week. So I decided to try my hand at our seating chart myself. This is the result. Any critiques welcome!!

That is really good work, especially considering you have not had any formal practice.

It might be too late for the wedding but here are a couple of pointers that'll help with future projects:

- Draw guidelines on the paper you are writing on with a light pencil (H or 2H is good). It makes the job much easier and the result much better. Do not erase the guidelines until at least 24 hours after the lettering is done.

- Your 'r' looks too much like a 'v' - other letterforms needs improvement too but with your limited practice this is expected. The 'r' stands out a bit too much though.

- Work on centering the text on another piece of paper (or three) so when you write the final copy, you will know exactly where to start and end. The additional practice also helps with confidence in your executing for the final piece.

I hope this is helpful in some way.

Salman

That is really good work, especially considering you have not had any formal practice.

It might be too late for the wedding but here are a couple of pointers that'll help with future projects:

- Draw guidelines on the paper you are writing on with a light pencil (H or 2H is good). It makes the job much easier and the result much better. Do not erase the guidelines until at least 24 hours after the lettering is done.

- Your 'r' looks too much like a 'v' - other letterforms needs improvement too but with your limited practice this is expected. The 'r' stands out a bit too much though.

- Work on centering the text on another piece of paper (or three) so when you write the final copy, you will know exactly where to start and end. The additional practice also helps with confidence in your executing for the final piece.

Salman

Salman

Wow thanks! Yeah I was noticing that my "r" does need some work, it was too spaced . I think that was the result of myself trying to make my r's similar in width to the other letters. I definitely would have drawn guidelines and spacing marks and everything, though I was under a time crunch so I decided to just wing it. I was happy enough with the result without us the guidelines, but my practice from here on out will be all about accuracy. Thanks for the critique!

Edited by aricb

http://i1368.photobucket.com/albums/ag175/ink00/DSC022135_zpslwvpf4zk.jpg

Wow thanks! Yeah I was noticing that my "r" does need some work, it was too spaced . I think that was the result of myself trying to make my r's similar in width to the other letters. I definitely would have drawn guidelines and spacing marks and everything, though I was under a time crunch so I decided to just wing it. I was happy enough with the result without us the guidelines, but my practice from here on out will be all about accuracy. Thanks for the critique!

Congratulations on the wedding.

You are most welcome. It is great that you have an eye for balance and spacing. The empty space after an 'r' is indeed a problem. It helps if you start the next letter a bit closer - bowl letters like 'o', 'e' can fill up some of the space while straight letters like 'i', 'n' can be started just below the ending of the final stroke. You will be surprised how much even a little bit of shift helps :-)

Best of luck with your practice. Please do share your progress with us.

Salman