Parker 5Th Edition Refill Problem

jebib

I have a problem with a refill, don't shoot me, I know it's not a fountain pen.

But I put a new refill in my pen about three months ago and forgot about it.

When I pulled it out today to use it was dead dry.

Does anyone have any tips on how to revive this refill?

I'd sure appreciate any ideas that don't involve having to purchase a new refill.

thanks for listening.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jebib

• Dillo

• richardandtracy

• welch

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahh.

Not involving a new refill.

Tricky one this.

Nope.

No idea.

Could try water or the normal solvents (white spirit, acetone, petrol)

But I really don't know.

Can I make a suggestion? Next time Parker want to experiment on the public, leave it 5 years then see if it has taken off before thinking of buying into the experiment. I got caught last time round with Parker's felt tips. They didn't work well & disappeared shortly after I had shelled out on a felt tip pen. Not impressed with either myself or Parker, and that has made me wary of this experiment.

It's not as if Parker don't have history with this sort of thing: before felt tips was 'Liquid Lead', and who has heard of that these days?

Regards,

Richard.

I found that a 5Gen refill revives after holding it under tap-water. Appears to have a liquid ink in the barrel. Just wash the dried ink in the point.

Washington Nationals 2019: the fight for .500; "stay in the fight"; WON the fight

Hi,

In my opinion, this is something that needs to be taken care of since most fine liners have a cap that prevents this dryout. My mom has a set of fine liners that is more than 20 years old, and they still work quite well. The 5Th is a very expensive pen to refill, and they should at least prevent it from drying out so that one can more easily get their money's worth.

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

Not to sound entirely cynical, but I've often found that the more expensive the proprietary refill (OMAS 360 roller ball, for example), the more likely it is to dry out quickly. Conversely, I've had Cross Select Tip fiber tip refills that seem almost immortal in how long they last….

I was able to solve my own problem. soak the tip in HOT tap water (as in not heated) for five minutes. It didn't work immediately, but after about four hours it writes just like new.

• 5 years later...

The hot water + four hours worked for me as well: tried it yesterday, the pen is writing like new today.

I've owned two Fifth Generation pens, both of whose cartridges dried up frustratingly quickly. This suggests that Parker has a sealing problem with its Fifth Generation caps. Perhaps they think this makes them more money in cartridges. They may be wrong: it may be that if these cartridges lasted longer, more people would actually use the Fifth Generation pen. Hopefully somebody from Parker is taking notice.

Thanks jebib for the tip: I didn't think it would work, but it really did.