Conway Stewart "medical Sciences" Limited Edition

dms525

CS+Belliver+Medical+Sciences+w+Grays_273

I have admired the Conway Stewart "Medical Sciences" Limited Edition since I first saw photos of it. I am happy to have acquired one. I'm rationalizing enjoying it as present to myself in honor of my retirement from the practice of medicine. Yup. That's the title page of the Gray's Anatomy I bought as a Freshman medical student.

CS+Belliver+Medical+Sciences_2733_edited

This pen is the result of another collaboration between Kevin Chang (winedoc) and Conway Stewart. It is an edition limited to 50, of which I have number 13. It comes in the large presentation box used for the Churchill, with documents and ink. Strangely enough, a cigar is not included.

Although neither Kevin nor Conway Stewart have said so, this pen is clearly based on the Belliver model. However, rather than the barrel being made in resin, it is ebonite with a guilloche pattern that is very nice and, to my knowledge, unique to this model. The Medical Sciences LE also differs from the Belliver in having a single, wide gold cap band rather than 3 bands. The band is engraved with the motto "Ars longa, vita brevis," the beginning of a famous quotation from Hippocrates, translated from Greek into the better-known Latin version.

CS+Belliver+Medical+Sciences_2721_edited

CS+Belliver+Medical+Sciences+w+RW%2526B_

CS Medical Sciences LE next to a Belliver Red, White & Blue LE

CS+Belliver+Medical+Sciences+w+RW%2526B_

Cap comparison

The pen I purchased came with a Broad nib. I expect to have this ground to a cursive italic, but, in the meantime, I did swap it for a custom-ground IM nib I had on another Belliver.

CS+Belliver+Medical+Sciences+nib_2730_ed

The Conway Stewart Belliver is one of the most comfortable-writing pens for me. It is about the same size as the Pelikan M8xx, another of my favorites. It is about an ideal weight (37 g, filled) and well-balanced. I prefer using it un-posted. The nibs are a bit springy, and some that I've had customized are among my very favorite writers.The Medical Sciences LE to me is handsome looking, meaningful as a symbol and a pleasure to write with.

Happy writing!

David

Edited by dms525

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dms525

• columela

• drgoretex

• ICantEvenDecideAMajor

I have a Conway-Stewart English Doctor's pen, slightly different, of which I am also quite fond.

By the way, I have another CS with a factory cursive italic nib, and it writes like a dream. If you want a cursive italic, they are superb.

I have a Conway-Stewart English Doctor's pen, slightly different, of which I am also quite fond.

By the way, I have another CS with a factory cursive italic nib, and it writes like a dream. If you want a cursive italic, they are superb.

I believe CS has released several limited edition pens with medical themes. Do you have the recent one from "the Professional Series," or an older one?

I have had pens with CS stock IF, IM and IB nibs. I have found them to be quite good, but I prefer a crisper italic. So far, the IB has been the one with the best line differentiation out of the box, but I am going to have it crisped up as well, I think.

David

congrats on the pen :thumbup:

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

Great review, thanks!

I have the very same pen. I think mine is #7, though I wouldn't swear to it.

I have to agree that it is an excellent pen. I have the medium nib, which suits my daily charting perfectly (I usually have it filled with Diamine Registrar's to make the Medical Records folks happy). It is the perfect size to fit in a standard shirt pocket, and thick enough to be very comfortable writing with. A big thanks to Winedoc for making this pen happen!

Congrats on the retirement, David - may it be filled with plenty of non-medical writing!

Cheers,

Ken

Great review, thanks!

I have the very same pen. I think mine is #7, though I wouldn't swear to it.

I have to agree that it is an excellent pen. I have the medium nib, which suits my daily charting perfectly (I usually have it filled with Diamine Registrar's to make the Medical Records folks happy). It is the perfect size to fit in a standard shirt pocket, and thick enough to be very comfortable writing with. A big thanks to Winedoc for making this pen happen!

Congrats on the retirement, David - may it be filled with plenty of non-medical writing!

Cheers,

Ken

DMS+to+FPN+11-4-13.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Doc,

I like CS, too. I have a number of them including a couple of elderly, beautiful 58's , Churchills and a Marlborough lever-filler. The latter, and my Cristoph-Franklin Model 3 are used every day. Alas, we don't chart any more in office or hospital, nor do we write prescriptions thanks to @$%# Electronic Medical Records But I just love using my FP's to elicit histories.

All the best in retirement; I'm looking at it in 2 years. With anxiety!

Mark

• 1 month later...

Thankfully Ireland is still mired in physical paper at the hospitals, else my fountain pens would find themselves rather lonely ! Thanks for the post, this pen is one that isn't covered much

Nice pen and review. When i see your handwriting i think we can now say that it's not all doctors that write badly ;)

A people can be great withouth a great pen but a people who love great pens is surely a great people too...

Pens owned actually: MB 146 EF;Pelikan M200 SE Clear Demonstrator 2012 B;Parker 17 EF;Parker 51 EF;Waterman Expert II M,Waterman Hemisphere M;Waterman Carene F and Stub;Pilot Justus 95 F.

Nearly owned: MB 149 B(Circa 2002);Conway Stewart Belliver LE bracket Brown IB.

• 2 years later...