• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• aligee

• feletoch

• Paul80

• Sasha Royale

Hello ! I am not familiar with this pen. Why do you want to remove the section ? Is the pen in working condition ?

Can you post a photograph of the Dinkie 550 ?

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

Hi

The section is just a push fit, that is going to be a tight fit, due to either the use of a sealant or shrinkage of the barrel. The easiest way to remove it is with the use of a dry heat and section pliers.

Paul

thanks for welcome to forum and advise on friction fit on my conway dinkie will attempt removal of section on my first tight fit of section on pen

Just be careful with the amount of heat you use as the barrel can be damaged if it gets too hot.

Sometimes just rubbing it between your fingers can get it hot enough to expand the barrel plastic, but not if a sealant like shellac has been used which needs a bit more heat to soften it.

The watch word here is controlled heat.

Paul

• 5 months later...

I know it has been a while since this has been discussed. but i read on here:

http://www.pentrace.net/penbase/Data_Returns/full_article.asp?id=334

"Soaking the section and barrel tip FOR A SHORT TIME in water will allow the Casein to absorb water and its diameter to expand."

Which method should i use to remove the section? heat or soak?

I cannot think of any reason why you would want to use water. Stick with gentle heat

I cannot think of any reason why you would want to use water. Stick with gentle heat

I think soaking casein in water for any period of time is fraught with danger of the permanent kind.

Cheers.

so using a the normal hair dryer should be fine?

Edit: for future referencing beginner like me, apply heat on/around section for 1-2 seconds, use small force to twist/pull the section, may need to repeat the step many time.

Edited by feletoch

I’ve had a fair few CS pens over the year and I’ve never even needed heat. The trick is to hold the pen in one hand, place your thumbs opposite each other on the section and gently wiggle/rock it out (rather than the screwing motion that section pliers would make).

"Truth can never be told, so as to be understood, and not be believ'd." (Wiiliam Blake)

Visit my review: Thirty Pens in Thirty Days

i found it hard to twist the section out until it's heated, i did try rubbing the barrel to soft it, but i don't have much luck doing it. hair dryer work best to soften the glue and the section just slip out without much effect.