Does Anyone Have A Stipula Ti Broad And Maybe A Macro Lens...?

terminal

When I was posting a review recently which included my Stipula with a broad Ti nib, Hari317 pointed out that the nib looks sprung. I hadn't noticed anything while writing with it, but when I look at the macro shot I posted, I agree. So, the reason I'm posting is to ask if anyone has Stipula broad Ti nib, and if it looks like this:

http://suramar.org/fpn/flex_platinum/stipula-2.jpg

Of course I have no idea what I'd do with it if it were sprung... probably not easily fixable... but anyway...

"One always looking for flaws leaves too little time for construction" ...

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wimg

• watch_art

• terminal

• hari317

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was working on a Stipula with a similar Ti point a while ago. I don't have a photo for comparison's sake, but it certainly didn't look like that at the end. Perhaps "deformed" rather than "sprung" if it's still working properly?

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

fpn_1465330536__hwabutton.jpg

I have two Stipuls Modello T's with titanium nibs. While I don't believe these came in a particular nib size (they were advertised as "flexible") they seem to be in the range of medium. However, that shouldn't really affect the spacing and alignment of the tines.

Here are two photos of my pens. The tines do not appear to have quite the separation that yours shows - at least to my uneducated eye.

Hope this helps.

http://www.fototime.com/%7B8AE549E7-563A-431F-975B-E0770D4D13BF%7D/origpict/DSCN7138.JPG

http://www.fototime.com/%7BB6126487-D135-4D4D-9EA7-3D608F0A179E%7D/origpict/DSCN7139.JPG

I could be wrong, but I believe that the Ti nib only comes in one size...somewhere between a M and an F. I have 2 pens with Ti nibs and this is how I understand it.

Anthony

Well the one in the OP is definitely marked broad. The others unmarked are mediums I think - before Stipula had more than one size made up for them.

I guess??

And it does look sprung. I've seen a few of these TI nibs on FPN that are spread like this. The worst one was in the Classifieds.

Yeah, mine is definitely a broad... says on the box too.

I'm going to take some more pictures and post them in a sec... thanks for looking at this, all.

It's kind of funny the worst one was in the classifieds. I can see myself posting like, "I just don't like this pen, it just doesn't write right" etz

Meantime mine writes fine...?

Never seen a Ti B nib. Currently they are available in 1 size only, and Etruria S.r.l. used to call them "M" nibs (0.6 mm), based on measuring the width of the tipping.

However, the actual writing with no pressure at all is 0.45 mm wide, which is between XF (0.4 mm) and F (0.5 mm). Having said that, straight out of the box the current Stipula Ti nibs flex to about 1.1 to 1.2 mm. This means that anyone writing with more than the absolute lightest pressure will likely get an M line out of it.

As to the nib mentioned, the B one, it certainly looks like the tines are separated a bit, but it is not easy to see whether they still touch on the writing side, which still could be the case. They should touch, indeed.

If it still writes fine, I doubt whether the nib is sprung, possibly just badly aligned tines, and unfortunately with a Ti nib extremely difficult to fix if at all.

HTH, warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

Where did this b nib come from then?

Good question. It may have been marked wrong - that is always possible. Etruria do get the nibs in a plain, unmarked, unplated

state, and stamp and plate it themselves. The Ti nibs have a coating that is also used on artificial, metal limbs used in surgery, e.g. for hip and knee replacements - extremely hard wearing.

One of my Etrurias has a limited edition number, while it isn't one :D. With 20,000 pens made each year, by hand, people do make mistakes which don't always get noticed prior to shipping or selling them.

HTH, warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

That definitely looks sprung... but mine doesn't really seem easy to ruin cause it's quite flexible and goes right back to its original position.

That definitely looks sprung... but mine doesn't really seem easy to ruin cause it's quite flexible and goes right back to its original position.

I don't know - I would need to handle it to be sure.

I have seen (Bock) nibs like this straight from the factory, actually, while they should have had tines touching at the tipping.It requires quite some pressure for a Ti nib to get sprung, well beyond the rail-roading point, and more than any other nib material AFAIK.

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

It is a bit of a mystery. This is not a pen I've ever used much, nor have I ever daily carried it (it's a magic marker ovah hea). I can't detect any difference in writing with it now versus when I purchased it. Here's one more picture at maximum zoom.

post-84219-0-97102200-1374537600_thumb.jpg

Etruria do get the nibs in a plain, unmarked, unplated state, and stamp and plate it themselves.

How does one stamp a plain nib that is already manufactured by the third party vendor? Usually the laser engraving approach is taken with such nibs.

Usually stamping the imprint is the next step after punching out the blanks, It is a high pressure operation and doing this post production on a finished nib will be disaster?

Edited by hari317

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

the shoulders are pinched I believe. the bottom of the tipping is touching each other. You might have to lift the shoulders up to make the tipping halves slit walls parallel and then take measures to close the slit gap to correct taper. good luck!

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Good question. It may have been marked wrong - that is always possible. Etruria do get the nibs in a plain, unmarked, unplated

state, and stamp and plate it themselves. The Ti nibs have a coating that is also used on artificial, metal limbs used in surgery, e.g. for hip and knee replacements - extremely hard wearing.

One of my Etrurias has a limited edition number, while it isn't one :D. With 20,000 pens made each year, by hand, people do make mistakes which don't always get noticed prior to shipping or selling them.

HTH, warm regards, Wim

I currently have three Stipula Ti nibs that were marketed and are marked as "broad" nibs. They all have the "B" on them. They came on Duettos around '06 or '07. I got them from Martini Auctions. Also at that time I purchased a .9 stub with a Ti nib as well but sold it a while ago. I seem to recall the whole gamut of Stipula nibs available then in titanium, except for th 52 degree nib.

It was my sense that these were some kind of 'after market' nibs as the Duetto originally came with 18k nibs. In any case, I have considered them 'second generation' Stipula titanium nibs. The first generation were the original 22 nibs, and the third generation, the unsized nibs available today.

Since they railroad all the time in use, I think Stipula probably stopped making them in broad. They are super flexy but 'toothy'. I think with a proper feed, they would work well. I don't use them anymore but cannot part with them for some reason.

Anyway, the times are not separated like the ones in the original post picture.

I'll try to post some pictures tomorrow.

Edited by Sazerac

How does one stamp a plain nib that is already manufactured by the third party vendor? Usually the laser engraving approach is taken with such nibs.

Usually stamping the imprint is the next step after punching out the blanks, It is a high pressure operation and doing this post production on a finished nib will be disaster?

I have seen and held the unmarked, and uncoated Ti nibs, actually, as they arrive from the factory (Bock). The Ti nibs are a dark, shiny metal, with a bit of a bluish sheen, and tipped, cut and curved already:) I have also seen the stamping machine :D.

If one uses a special tool for stamping/engraving, with the correct curvature, that shouldn't be a problem.

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

the shoulders are pinched I believe. the bottom of the tipping is touching each other. You might have to lift the shoulders up to make the tipping halves slit walls parallel and then take measures to close the slit gap to correct taper. good luck!

Good luck indeed...

I think it could be rather hard to close the gap with titanium nibs - that is quite the metal to fight against :D.

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman