Cute Pens For Us Girls!

GabrielleDuVent

Regarding the gender discussion I guess everything has been said so I'm going to return to pens! As I mostly like large and/or heavy pens - those which aim for women as buyers and users usually being quite the opposite -, I don't have an awful lot of them but a few.

1. Montblanc Greta Garbo: Cream and black, slender with curves reminding of waist and hips with a pearl at the clip - doesn't get much more ladylike than that. I really like the overall appearance which is why I still have it (I also had a Marlene Dietrich which I sold, didn't care for the step between section and barrel), but as others already said - cartridge or mini converter. :gaah: I can't really see this pen in any conservative man's hand (yes, turning back to gender clichés here, but I really find it hard)

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-W_QAq4QXsGI/UIBL52Eu2VI/AAAAAAAAALk/c4asqYZX65g/s1600/GarboCapped2WM.JPG

The rest is not that "girly" but merely hints at it.

2. Danitrio "Mae West"

I love the sensual shape of this pen, also it's quite a bit fatter than the Greta Garbo and thus more comfortable to hold.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-JiHJPqqa4GU/UJTjfK1gQeI/AAAAAAAAAQw/uLZ-nCHm6bs/s1600/MaeUncapped2WM.JPG

3. Namiki Yozakura - just because of the pink, lilac and purple Raden blossoms all over the pen. Maybe not designed for women but definitely speaks to me as such.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-hSf5VKCMv-0/UPp1Jg6sWZI/AAAAAAAAAew/B6HXVAMRons/s1600/YozakuraWM.JPG

Then there's a soft pink Caran d'Ache Leman which I have no picture of and I think that's it.

Read more about me, my pens, photography & so on my little blog

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TSherbs

• Plume145

• inkstainedruth

• dorothynotgale

Well, here's the one I want....

(I do not own it, but consider it to be a great girly pen). (I would not turn down the diamond version as opposed to the rubies).

http://sheismylawyer.com/INK/images/_nb_mediaFrames/186421yJWLW9REL.jpg

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

I have two to add to the list (both were DCSS purchases over the weekend.

One is a Morrison Overlay Ringtop, and the other is (I think) a Azure Blue Pearl Parker Vacumatic Debutante (it's either that or a Junior, and I'm pretty sure from reading up on Vacs today that it's a Debutante).

Sorry, no pix -- didn't get photos taken of them yet, but there's a photo of a similar Morrison in a thread on Morrison Overlays that FPNer Uncle Red posted (only his is silver and mine is GF for the overlay part.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Party time! Excellent!

Yeah. If what people like doesn't impinge on me in any way... I have a hard time having a strong opinion about it. Like pink pens? Like black? Like cheap plastic? Like ornate silver filigree? Like whatever? I am totally cool with all of it.

As long as no one is telling me what I have to like or don't like -- and let's be clear, no one here is -- then... party on, Garth.

Party on Wayne !!!!! :thumbup:

"Writing is 1/3 nib width & flex, 1/3 paper and 1/3 ink. In that order."Bo Bo Olson

"No one needs to rotate a pen while using an oblique, in fact, that's against the whole concept of an oblique, which is to give you shading without any special effort."Professor Propas, 24 December 2010

"IMHO, the only advantage of the 149 is increased girth if needed, increased gold if wanted and increased prestige if perceived. I have three, but hardly ever use them. After all, they hold the same amount of ink as a 146."FredRydr, 12 March 2015

"Surely half the pleasure of life is sardonic comment on the passing show."Sir Peter Strawson

This is kind of out of it compared to where the debate has gone now, but I thought this thread was still better than to start a new thread just for that, at least here chances are all the interested parties will see it.

Anyway, it's just about a pen I saw that could fit the girly thing - whether you mean girly as in marketable to females, as in the shape (small) or as in just decorative. Or all of the above!

It's the new Kaweco pen that Jetpens are stocking, which is called the Kaweco Fantasie. It's a pen that's designed to be decorated using polymer clay (they say Fimo, but I'm sure other brands would work just fine): you arrange the clay on the cap and barrel (the end caps and clip are all removable to make this easier and for baking) and then you bake it (the body is brass to allow this).

It looks pretty cool, and isn't horribly expensive. And from looking at the brochure, which includes detailed instructions on how to do a basic decoration in a marbled pattern, the decorating project doesn't look too complicated - I think I could do it even though I have no experience with clay (I do a range of crafty/DIY stuff, but I've never worked with clay). And it does say explicitly that you can use other clay techniques instead, like millefiori or patina or whatever, so if you already know these, you're not stuck just using the basic marbling thing, you can create something more elaborate. Unfortunately, it only comes in the one nib size, medium, but anyway...something to bear in mind I guess!

I'm not affiliated with ANY of the brands/retailers/shops/ebay sellers/whatever I mention or recommend. If that ever changes, I will let you know :)

Looking for a cheap Pilot VP/Capless - willing to put up with lots of cosmetic damage.

This is kind of out of it compared to where the debate has gone now, but I thought this thread was still better than to start a new thread just for that, at least here chances are all the interested parties will see it.

Anyway, it's just about a pen I saw that could fit the girly thing - whether you mean girly as in marketable to females, as in the shape (small) or as in just decorative. Or all of the above!

It's the new Kaweco pen that Jetpens are stocking, which is called the Kaweco Fantasie. It's a pen that's designed to be decorated using polymer clay (they say Fimo, but I'm sure other brands would work just fine): you arrange the clay on the cap and barrel (the end caps and clip are all removable to make this easier and for baking) and then you bake it (the body is brass to allow this).

It looks pretty cool, and isn't horribly expensive. And from looking at the brochure, which includes detailed instructions on how to do a basic decoration in a marbled pattern, the decorating project doesn't look too complicated - I think I could do it even though I have no experience with clay (I do a range of crafty/DIY stuff, but I've never worked with clay). And it does say explicitly that you can use other clay techniques instead, like millefiori or patina or whatever, so if you already know these, you're not stuck just using the basic marbling thing, you can create something more elaborate. Unfortunately, it only comes in the one nib size, medium, but anyway...something to bear in mind I guess!

Interesting. I just did a Google search and saw these on Kaweco's website. Any idea what the fill system is on these? These might be the sort of thing to give out as party favors for a bridal party (the wedding I was at a couple of weekends ago had little pencils printed with the bride and groom's names, because they basically had the reception be a picnic with lawn games such as potato sack races -- I kid you not -- and the pencils were given out with score cards and red award style ribbons, if you were so inclined to keep track of who won what; I kept the pencil and at least one of the ribbons as souvenirs of the day, even though I didn't play anything myself).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Interesting. I just did a Google search and saw these on Kaweco's website. Any idea what the fill system is on these?

I checked the JetPens site and the description states it comes with a cartridge. It may be a c/c but the description does not state that.

I checked the JetPens site and the description states it comes with a cartridge. It may be a c/c but the description does not state that.

I looked at the Recommended RefillS/Parts section on the Jetpens site, and in addition to all the Kaweco carts there is also a converter (for $3). So it's basically a c/c. Not bad for a gimmick pen, lol.

Seriously, I'm kind of liking this now. Seems easy-peasy, and I would get it except I promised myself I'd stop buying bog-standard Medium Nib full-size modern pens - basically what I've always gotten - so that I can expand my pen horizons a bit. If I could fit a Broad nib to it, I'd get it!

I would sure be glad to get it as a party favor though! I would even brave the horrid unflattering pastel gown and rabid bridezilla for a pen like that (okay not the bridezilla...just the gown). That's a big sacrifice! I look terrible in pastels :P

I'm not affiliated with ANY of the brands/retailers/shops/ebay sellers/whatever I mention or recommend. If that ever changes, I will let you know :)

Looking for a cheap Pilot VP/Capless - willing to put up with lots of cosmetic damage.

Wonder if the Pen Chooser ever suggests a fountain pen?

Woo hoo! I guess I gots FP cred because the Parker Pen Chooser gave me not one but TWO fountain pens! The first was an IM. For the second go-round I changed the option from "everyday writing instrument" to "premium pen that stands out" and it gave me a nice red Sonnet.

That Kaweco Fantasie pen looks like so much fun! If I had any sculpting skills whatsoever, I'd do one up in green and sculpt a big monster face on the cap.

That Kaweco Fantasie pen looks like so much fun! If I had any sculpting skills whatsoever, I'd do one up in green and sculpt a big monster face on the cap.

That sounds like a great idea! I think there's a lot of potential in this, I bet you could even incorporate things like water-slide decals or whatever. Actually, you could even use other pens I bet, so long as you could find something that has the right uniform shape and materials that can survive being baked. It's definitely worth investigating :)

For what it's worth, my girlfriend likes the design of the Parker 51. For some reason, she especially likes the arrow clip haha.

Check out my budding pen blog here!

pentheism.tumblr.com

What do you think of these Elysee pens? :cloud9:

fpn_1377069582__elysee_special_edition_s

They are not overpowering, they are sturdy and well-made, and they have lovely lacquer colors. Elysee pens were known as "Jewelry That Writes".

Edited by elysee

What do you think of these Elysee pens? :cloud9:

fpn_1377069582__elysee_special_edition_s

They are not overpowering, they are sturdy and well-made, and they have lovely lacquer colors. Elysee pens were known as "Jewelry That Writes".

Those are adorable! Where did you get them?

• 2 weeks later...

OK, one more I came across..Cath Kidston Fountain Pen. No idea about the nib, it's not even shown lol. But hey, for 26 euro you get that pretty little pen plus a matching case to carry it around in - nicely finished one too, oilcloth fabric and complete with magnetic fastener, not just a plain sleeve. How bad can it be, right? Maybe not an exciting nib or whatever, but a fun pen :-) Worst case scenario if the pen blows, you use the case on a boring looking pen that writes nice :P

I'm generally not one for Cath Kidston stuff as the patterns are too overloaded for me, but I really like this one quite a lot, it has the charm of all those Cath Kidston florals without the cluttered appearance. So if you like the idea of florals but the reality usually disappoints you, this could be one to try :P

• 1 month later...

hey guys, just reviving the thread to say I did end up buying that Cath Kidston pen above! It's a really pretty pen and definitely qualifies as girly in both definitions used in this thread - girly as in smaller/slim pens and girly as in decorative, especially using motifs and colors traditionally marketed to women (florals and birds and light, bright colors). It also writes much nicer than I expected - all in all a great value little pen!

If you want to know more about it or want to see more pictures than on their site, let me know - I took some when I was bored tonight waiting somewhere, I just can't be bothered to upload them unless I know someone actually wants to see them :P Just try to be quick about it because I'd only keep them for a wee bit :)

I want to see, please.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

To the OP: "So ladies! What is your "pen design" wish? Something thinner, or with filigreed barrel, or more colours? I personally want a thinner pen in brighter colours (yes, yes, I know there are Safaris, but the design of the pen isn't really... nice). ":

I find I just like what I like, with pens, clothes, whatever. I like pop/mod/atomic colors so I got the Monteverde Prima in Turquoise and silver, the Monteverde Invincia Lime Green Leather wrap, and a custom pen with a Kingfisher feather embedded barrel on the way.

I want the Visconti Rembrandt Orange and the Visconti VanGogh Self Portrait in blues.

But I've got a black Hero 715.

And I'd love to be able to afford the Platinum Makie-e black on black King of Tigers--it's my current Grail pen--er "Girl Pen"?

When exposed to any combination of pink and purple on the same object, I get hives. Same with Hello Kitty.

The only shade of purple I can tolerate is aubergine.

My style Heroines are Jackie Kennedy and Audrey Hepburn.

Go figure.....

AQ

Edited by Aquinata

"Ravens play with lost time."

When I found a car for my wife, I thought the best of the bests for her, she didn't like the color, then found a great minivan she called it looks like baker's car. I gave up. :unsure:

One boring blue, one boring black 1mm thickness at most....

Then there are Fountain Pens with gorgeous permanent inks..

I always thought the beautiful Princess Grace pen is the epitome of feminine class.

fpn_1371707504__montblanc_princesse_grac

REALLY want one!

+1. That, the Marlene Dietrich one, the above linked Audrey Hepburn ones... really like all of them.

I have VERY small hands, and find that huge pens are more difficult and give me wrist and hand fatigue faster than smaller, more petite pens.

That is the main reason that I've collected a lot more SE Asian pens. They seem to make pens which are, if not directly marketed toward women, are at least small enough that I don't feel like gnawing my own hand off after writing with them for an hour.

I have a set of Hero 184 slimline pens coming from evil-bay (pic below). I've found that the 184 and 188 (both now out of production) just fit my hand a lot better and even though they're metal, they're not as heavy as a lot of vintage resin/rubber pens. They're also on the short end of 'full sized' and fit my hand better.

http://img03.taobaocdn.com/imgextra/i3/1048753472/T2BiJjXyRaXXXXXXXX_!!1048753472.jpg

I love Hello Kitty and have a couple of the Sanrio plastic body pens (which my daughters have stolen at this point). They're hit and miss though, and obviously cheap, and needed a fair bit of tweaking to get to be 'reliable' starters. They are super light and small pens however :)