My First Nakaya Has Landed.....ok A Few Weeks Ago ;-)

Pen Nut

So it has arrived and had time to settle in. It is, intake of breath, a Nakaya Long Piccolo black Urushi with a ruthenium clip and BB nib which has had has had added flex by John Mot then the nib stubbed by Pendleton Brown & Ernest Shin has added a small inscription on the pen body (lot easier to say I have a 149/Edson/Duofold).

There is a certain 'something' that I do find very alluring about this pen but whether it will fall into the bracket of a keeper that I will never part with remains to be seen. Do like the little sleeping bag it lives in :)

[/url]">fpn_1368267185__fpn_nak1.jpg

fpn_1368267222__fpn_nak1_1.jpg

fpn_1368267288__fpn_nak1_3.jpg

fpn_1368267329__fpn_nak1_4.jpg

fpn_1368267365__fpn_nak1_5.jpg

fpn_1368267426__fpn_nak1_6.jpg

fpn_1368267479__fpn_nak1_7.jpg

fpn_1368267514__fpn_nak1_8.jpg

A wise man once said    " the best revenge is wealth "   but a wiser man answered back    " the best revenge is happiness "

The true definition of madness - Doing the same thing everyday and expecting different results......

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pen Nut

• hari317

• ethernautrix

• Flake

Congratulations for your Nakaya! What a beautiful pen!

I am very much curious to see a writing sample, if this is not too much to ask. I would very much like to see a flex stub!

Once more, congratulations on a stunning pen!

fpn_1355507962__snailbadge.png

absolutely beautiful pen! Out of total curiosity why did you have it flexed and then stubbed instead of all at once?

The previous keeper had the nib work done, I did find it odd that all the required work was not done at the initial purchase stage by a nib worker that cetainly knows his stuff.

A wise man once said    " the best revenge is wealth "   but a wiser man answered back    " the best revenge is happiness "

The true definition of madness - Doing the same thing everyday and expecting different results......

Let's all hope it writes well, then. Otherwise, it's an expensive tube with a converter and a bit of metal at the end.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

Thanks for the comments. The inscription on the pen apparently reads "Friend Of Fortune" although it could say "beef curry with fried rice" for all I know !

The writing sensation is different from all the other pens I use, it feels as though the nib is not in contact with the paper it is that smooth.

I like holding this pen while I am thinking, perhaps I am 'bonding' with the urushi :thumbup:

Congratulations and welcome to the Nakaya family!

I hope the pen grows on you and remains a part of your collection for many years to come.

Pen nut, congrats! does the Nakaya live up to the hype?

Hari, I really can't believe you've managed to avoid a Nakaya of your own for so long! When are you finally going to cave?

Too many pens; too little writing.

Pen nut, congrats! does the Nakaya live up to the hype?

Hari,

As a fellow high end MB fanatic I will have to announce that the jury is still out. They are both pens and there the similarity ends. Just soooo different in feel, performance and build. Truth is I think they are both truly fantastic makers but do it in different worlds.......then there is the marketing aspect of one of them but hey thats not the issue here. Peace to you all and enjoy whatever pen you choose.

Hari, I really can't believe you've managed to avoid a Nakaya of your own for so long! When are you finally going to cave?

i did have sleepless nights considering, lusting and then finally buying a Nakaya, I got it but it did not work out for me unfortunately. I have not dared to buy another. Atleast in my very subjective view, now I know that their Soft nibs are not for me and also good that they redesigned their feeders. I now have no desire left for a standard Nakaya, except maybe for the long piccolo in a BB nib.

Hari,

As a fellow high end MB fanatic I will have to announce that the jury is still out. They are both pens and there the similarity ends. Just soooo different in feel, performance and build. Truth is I think they are both truly fantastic makers but do it in different worlds.......then there is the marketing aspect of one of them but hey thats not the issue here. Peace to you all and enjoy whatever pen you choose.

Thanks for sharing your impressions.

You must try some more Japanese manufacturers if not done already, I was really seeking an opinion just in case you had other Japanese Lacquer pens; Urushi over ebonite Vs Urushi over ebonite. Resin, solid precious materials vs urushi clad materials can just not be compared, they are that different in my view.

Regards,

Hari

Edited by hari317

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

congrats on your first nakaya. get ready for an expensive ride. you might find yourself planning to get more in the future. i now have three :D

-rudy-

Oo, that's a beauty! I've been out of the FPN loop for a while (hahaha, everyone was, but it's taken me longer to figure all this out). Lovely Long Piccolo you got there!

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

Oo, that's a beauty. Lovely Long Piccolo you got there!

Oi ! you been peeping or what !! sorry very childish I know but could not resist :lol: