What Are Some Nice Wood-Barreled Fountain Pens?

CharlieTurtle

Greetings from San Francisco.

I carry a heavily modified Pirre Paul wood. I don't see them on HisNibs.com any more, but it's a nice enough pen, and was cheap enough to be raw material for a penbashing project.

--

James H. H. Lampert

Professional Dilettante

Posted Image was once a bottle of ink

Inky, Dinky, Thinky, Inky,

Blacky minky, Bottle of ink! -- Edward Lear

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CharlieTurtle

• Hoovy

• Scribble Monboddo

• Bugmerc

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

+1 on the Duke Bamboo pen. I just received and prepared one. I haven't put it into the rotation yet, but I can say that it is beautifully finished, sturdy, and very attractive. The nib seems to be a very smooth medium. More after I've tried it.

ron

Hi Hoovy

You're right, it could be particle board. I'm not sure. However I can suggest another one that I do own. The DUKE 552 or Bamboo. It has a real bamboo section barrel & it is sold by HISNIBS.com. Also a very easy price($45) & a good writer.

Myste

P.S. I do believe the Jinhao to be real though. They make quality pens.

The shipping would be almost as much as the pen ;)

Is it possible to buy barrels ready-made and use a pen kit, or...?

You can spot a writer a mile off, they're the ones meandering in the wrong direction muttering to themselves and almost walking into every second lamppost.

You can check out penturners.org it is the IAP website. There are classifieds on there. There should be no reason you can't get a pen you like for a reasonable cost, including shipping. I am a little reluctant to offer making you one, as I am pretty swamped with work and would not be comfortable giving you a time frame.

There are a ton of great people in the IAP that will happily help you out.

I don't know of any pre-made barrels, and obviously if you have someone turn them for you, they might as well put the pen together for you.

Chris

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_qVJOiluU9_4/THp4f_4pakI/AAAAAAAAA14/_d-MITGtqvY/s320/InkDropLogoFPN2.jpg

You can check out penturners.org it is the IAP website. There are classifieds on there. There should be no reason you can't get a pen you like for a reasonable cost, including shipping. I am a little reluctant to offer making you one, as I am pretty swamped with work and would not be comfortable giving you a time frame.

There are a ton of great people in the IAP that will happily help you out.

I don't know of any pre-made barrels, and obviously if you have someone turn them for you, they might as well put the pen together for you.

Chris

I wouldn't be buying yet anyway :) Thanks for the pointer

You can spot a writer a mile off, they're the ones meandering in the wrong direction muttering to themselves and almost walking into every second lamppost.

Circling back on the Duke 552 Bamboo pen. It is an excellent writer. And the finish quality might give the CdA a run for its money. It doesn't post well, though.

ron