Is It Only Me Who Doesn't See The Appeal In A Lamy Safari?

Blazing

Have one; smooth and silky nib; works great. Just flushed it after reading this so I can use it tomorrow.

Post Script

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Blazing

• CharlieTurtle

• lovemy51

• chad.trent

The frothing is most likely because you are inadvertently letting part of the nib lift out of the ink as you fill the pen, and thereby drawing air in. It's easy and natural to do that, so you have to watch for it. Make sure that at least part of the section is in the ink the whole time you are filling.

Yes, this is a common mistake for new users. One needs to dip not just the nib, but past the nib before filling. Yes, there will be ink on the section (the gripping part), and you wipe it clean with a tissue, or rinse under the faucet.

My only complaint about my Vista is that it is a dry pen.

I can never get past the look of the pen. I don't like the look of the clip and I don't like ink windows. -2 for me.

Captain Kirk is the man and I don't want to hear another word about it! http://straightrazorplace.com/images/smilies/borg.gif

IDK, its also possible various users have their own standards for smoothness and quality, based on their experience and the size of their pockets.

In a world where there are no eyes the sun would not be light, and in a world where there were no soft skins rocks would not be hard, nor in a world where there were no muscles would they be heavy. Existence is relationship and you're smack in the middle of it.

- Alan Watts

Seriously the only thing they would need to do to get me to try is get rid of the clip. I could live with the shape and the ink well. Even the color.

Captain Kirk is the man and I don't want to hear another word about it! http://straightrazorplace.com/images/smilies/borg.gif

Safaris leave me blah as well. I have a bunch I use for field notes when I am out birding or photographing wildlife, but that's about it.

True bliss: knowing that the guy next to you is suffering more than you are.

no, you are not alone. and this post should go in the lamy sub-forum. Farmboy, please, move this.

Well said. Not meaning to be nasty or anything but if you can't take care of the poor pen then use a pencil or something.

what are you saying, that Safaris are of poor quality? and what makes you think a pencil does not need caring for?

what are you saying, that Safaris are of poor quality? and what makes you think a pencil does not need caring for?

Pencils tend to be mildly more robust. And poor as in what is apparently a slang word, meaning unfortunate/undeserving. The pen broke because it was handled poorly (though not by the poster)

You can spot a writer a mile off, they're the ones meandering in the wrong direction muttering to themselves and almost walking into every second lamppost.

Seriously the only thing they would need to do to get me to try is get rid of the clip. I could live with the shape and the ink well. Even the color.

The Safari / All Star clip is trick. The shape makes it unlikely to snag anything in a purse. It's also robust enough to be clipped in the pocket of a corduroy shrit or jacket. The clip may appear inelegant, but it's highly functional.

I think the OP's saying that as there's all this frothy ecstasy about what a magnificent pen the Safari is all over FPN, then getting hold of one and finding out that it's a lemon is a bit of a disappointment.

That's the problem with gateway pens: if you get hold of one and think that it stinks, you won't be very likely to go through the gateway in the first place, will you?

I think the OP's saying that as there's all this frothy ecstasy about what a magnificent pen the Safari is all over FPN, then getting hold of one and finding out that it's a lemon is a bit of a disappointment.

That's the problem with gateway pens: if you get hold of one and think that it stinks, you won't be very likely to go through the gateway in the first place, will you?

Exactly.

Pencils tend to be mildly more robust. And poor as in what is apparently a slang word, meaning unfortunate/undeserving. The pen broke because it was handled poorly (though not by the poster)

It wasn't handled poorly by me. Rather by the people around in my environment who handled it carelessly.

It wasn't handled poorly by me. Rather by the people around in my environment who handled it carelessly.

Which is why I said not by the poster. If you can't keep hold of a FP and prevent it getting damaged, don't take one. None of them are especially robust.

You can spot a writer a mile off, they're the ones meandering in the wrong direction muttering to themselves and almost walking into every second lamppost.

Which is why I said not by the poster. If you can't keep hold of a FP and prevent it getting damaged, don't take one. None of them are especially robust.

It's school. My work isn't going to be ruined just because we have some idiots there.

It's school. My work isn't going to be ruined just because we have some idiots there.

Yeah, but it's expensive if you have to keep replacing pens because they got all bashed about? Keep it out of their reach if you can.

thx, tho' the question was directed to someone else, not the OP.

ooooh, got it....